Jul 02, 2018, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

DLG Demo At the 2018 AMA Convention Nov 4-6, 2018

The AMA convention is moving to the Pomona Fairplex and will be held Nov 2,3,4 2018.

This year they will have outdoor flying. So I asked Jeff Nance about a glider demo and he noted the AMA is interested.

My idea was simple - show what gliders can do and get people interested in participating. Our Poway Monthly contests are lucky to get over 10 to participate. Matt's Cookie Toss is a bit more centrally located and he gets 12-18 participants. I can think of three guys that are under 30 years old flying DLG.

What I am asking for is comments/suggestions so I can tell the AMA (in a week or two) that, Yes we can do this and what to expect or No the space is too limited for safe flying or that ever the reason.

1. Whether the space is large enough to hold a F3K demo - is this even possible. (See attachments)
The area is approx two soccer fields long and one soccer field wide (800 X 200 ft) with a hard ceiling of 300 ft due to the proximity of Brackett Field.
No flying over people, vendors stalls.
Safety - is there enough space to safely fly
2. What kind of demo.
DLG Launch.
Low level thermaling.
Quick Turns.
Mass Launch?.
Some of the indoor flying was just a couple guys flying around in circles with someone talking about the plane.
3. Pilots who who would like to participate - if you are interested chime in.
Skill Level given the space limitations.
Pilots that can QT.
Pilots that can make it interesting - acro
Sponsored Pilots
4. A voice for F3K.
Knowledgeable Pilot with a radio voice - I'm neither - would like some volunteers
5. Weather Limitations
Nov may have Santa Anas - is there a wind speed limit that prevents a safe demo?

I don't have enough experience to fly in such a restricted location. There are many more experienced Pilots on the groups that can lend their expertise on if this can be done safely, and their support if this happens.

As far as I know there is no pay, or free lunch. I don't know about a vendor demoing their planes, I can ask. I know the indoor flying had vendor demos.

Ray
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2018, 08:37 AM
Team Crunch Brothers
Hi Ray!

I was thinking about this when I saw there would an outdoor flying demo. I'm glad someone picked up this ball. I'm game to fly and help any way I can. Sounds like there's enough room, especially with a 300' cap.

-l
Sep 28, 2018, 01:43 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
Hey Ray - where did this end up?
Sep 29, 2018, 07:57 PM
Thread OP
Hi Matt,

I did not get enough support to move forward. The main issue is the space and altitude limit. I would not feel confident I could fly with in the constraints. But some of the more experienced DLG Pilots could.

I would think that 90% of the visitors to the AMA convention have not seen DLG first hand so a demo might peak interest. (I was also thinking that an F3B or a TD winch launch would be impressive).

I understand you can register to fly at the out door facility.

https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/am...-registration/

Maybe if enough of us register we can fly and ALUD.

Ray
Sep 30, 2018, 08:14 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
I hope you can find somebody to do the demo, Ray. It sounds like a great opportunity to promote DLG and we can always use more promotion of the cool stuff we do. I fly DLGs from fields that size all the time so it definitely can be done. The 300 feet altitude cap shouldn't be a problem either for a person being conscious about it. If there was a real perticularness about it you could just make sure to have the person flying using some telemetry with an alarm at say 275 feet or something.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Sep 30, 2018, 10:37 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
I’ve done DLG demos for the Riverside Soaring club before. It took 10 to 15 min for one person and another person doing the commentary. It’s basically an introduction to dlg, talking about the dlg specs, launches, gear, competition, etc.

Quick Reply