Jul 18, 2018, 12:52 AM
Just another user...
Received it today just one day after I ordered it.

My initial observations...

There were ZERO instructions included in the box. Nothing on the Caddx website either as of now.

There are two plates included for mounting in to 30.5 x 30.5mm stacks. My guess is that you can use either plate depending on which side of the board you want the plate to be attached.

It also allows for the mounting of the board behind the camera by cutting off the 30.5mm mounting corners on one of the plates and screwing the plate onto the back of the camera. There is set of holes on the plate which matches the spacing of the holes on the back of the camera.

The wires from the camera to the board appear very delicate.

There is no microphone on the board. If there is one on the camera board, I don't see it. There is definitely no audio out line from the board. There are two unmarked pads in the corner of the board which MAY be for an external mic. But without any information from Caddx, who knows? The lack of a mic would be a deal-breaker for those that want to hear the whine of the motors in the HD footage.

There are TX/RX/GND pads on the ground for comms with the FC.

There is also a board with the thumb-rocker switch which which I presume will invoke an OSD for adjustments.

The Turtlet will go into my lightweight 4-inch build. But because I am leaving town today, I won't have time to complete it. So hopefully someone else can provide a video clip before I do.

Last edited by dingrrcg; Jul 18, 2018 at 04:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2018, 06:57 AM
I would appreciate clarification on the audio issue as soon as someone finds out.

Tyia
David.
Jul 18, 2018, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Potatoes
I would appreciate clarification on the audio issue as soon as someone finds out.

Tyia
David.
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that there is no audio on the turtle
Jul 18, 2018, 07:11 AM
Just another user...
Quote:

Tyia
David.
I just did a quick recording on the bench. No audio.
Jul 18, 2018, 07:16 AM
delete
Last edited by Flying Potatoes; Jul 18, 2018 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Dumb thumb
Jul 18, 2018, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingrrcg
I just did a quick recording on the bench. No audio.
Thanks for that!

It's just that someone posted on the Armattan thread a Banggood screenshot which includes the line:
Real-time Audio Output: Yes

David
Jul 18, 2018, 07:31 AM
Just another user...
Quote:
Thanks for that!

It's just that someone posted on the Armattan thread a Banggood screenshot which includes the line:
Real-time Audio Output: Yes

David
Even the Caddx website has the 'Real-time Audio Output: Yes' in the product description. They also have the name 'Turtles' in one place and 'Turtlet' in the other. The box says 'Turtlet'.

But there was no audio in my recording.
Jul 18, 2018, 09:04 AM
KD4KW
The ZERO instructions, audio confusion in the description etc etc is disturbing to say the least.
I think this may be a little half baked. Turtlet or Turdlet?
Jul 18, 2018, 09:17 AM
pretty typical for a new product launch in this market. core features seem to work, ancillary features may or may not work.

if you had to choose between inaccurate/misleading documentation and no documentation then no documentation is actually better.

i'd say this is a successful launch so far. if they don't have the same reliability issues as the competition this thing could really take off.
Jul 18, 2018, 10:29 AM
How is the sd card secured? Is it spring loaded or via friction?
Jul 18, 2018, 11:23 AM
Registered Fanatic
No audio isn't too much of a concern for me,, I guess they had to get rid of some stuff to get this package as small as it is.

… still waiting for a report on the FPV performance..
Jul 18, 2018, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongsr
pretty typical for a new product launch in this market. core features seem to work, ancillary features may or may not work.

if you had to choose between inaccurate/misleading documentation and no documentation then no documentation is actually better.

i'd say this is a successful launch so far. if they don't have the same reliability issues as the competition this thing could really take off.

But we get no instructions, AND misleading web information so it seems.
Jul 18, 2018, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd4Kw
The ZERO instructions, audio confusion in the description etc etc is disturbing to say the least.
I think this may be a little half baked. Turtlet or Turdlet?
You can't polish a turdlet, but you can roll it in glitter.
Jul 18, 2018, 11:45 AM
Quote:
But we get no instructions, AND misleading web information so it seems.
like i said. pretty typical. it will still be a success if its more robust and has less latency

the insulated wire looks to be more forgiving than the ribbon cable used on the split, but that's just my opinion from looking at the pics. the connectors are the big question, but individual wires mean less force on the connectors so it should help.
Jul 18, 2018, 11:48 AM
Lots of decent products have undocumented or unknown features. My FC/ESC Stack by LDARC had no instructions, and it took some clever people to work out that the OSD pins were duplicated elsewhere on the board. Still sold like hotcakes.

I'm just gutted I have to wait for mine to arrive when some people already have theirs!

Quick Reply