Dec 16, 2018, 01:08 PM
Launch the drones ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green
Phooey - my FPV has gone to the crapper. Maybe it was that missing bit.

The HD is still good though. I'll try using filtered 4s to the cam and vTx - and if that doesn't work - I'll assume it's the missing bit - and I'll put a separate FPV cam on this ship - something under 5g.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaccepted
My turtles are running off filtered 5v with the grounds shared with the vtx. No lines in my fpv even on my 6s 7 inch.
Fixed - but not how I'd imagined it …

I did the 5v Pololu 500mA reg change, modifying the cable from the FC to the camera so that it provided 5v regulated, instead of 4s/B+, to the camera - and it made no diff - FPV was still in the crapper
So - I thought - time to look at camera settings, using that little joystick board Caddx provides ...

AND ...

After I plugged the bd into the camera, immediately after I pressed the joystick button down for the first time while trying to provoke the cam OSD menu to appear - the image snapped a bit - and presto - it's now got good FPV. I changed no camera settings. And the now good FPV had nothing to do with the regulated 5v either - unless the B+/4s line was responsible for getting the camera into that bad FPV state in the first place - but I do not know.

NOW - do I leave the 5v reg in, or go back to powering the cam with 4s?

I think, I'll leave it as is - since I don't know if 4s contributed to the camera getting into an FPV funky state. And it could have - even though it wasn't responsible for keeping it there (I still don't actually know why attaching that joystick camera control bd and pressing the joystick button once, fixed the funky FPV).

Only Caddx could tell us that.
Last edited by Tim Green; Dec 16, 2018 at 05:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2018, 02:54 PM
I kill batteries!
When I said filtered I was referring to the 5v line that is provided through an lc filter.

I have 5 turtles, 3 live. The live ones are all on 5v filtered.

I did have an issue with my first turtle going straight to 4s power (vbatt) and that board is now dead along with the vbatt line it was pulling from.

Luckily my vtx's take voltage directly up to 6s and then provide filtered regulated 5v. No issues.

I have noticed that the ribbon cable that secures the camera to the board can be finicky and I will get a black fpv feed when bumped right. Since then I have hot glued the connector after verifying the fpv feed comes on.
Dec 16, 2018, 03:24 PM
Launch the drones ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashaccepted
When I said filtered I was referring to the 5v line that is provided through an lc filter.

I have 5 turtles, 3 live. The live ones are all on 5v filtered.

I did have an issue with my first turtle going straight to 4s power (vbatt) and that board is now dead along with the vbatt line it was pulling from.

Luckily my vtx's take voltage directly up to 6s and then provide filtered regulated 5v. No issues.

I have noticed that the ribbon cable that secures the camera to the board can be finicky and I will get a black fpv feed when bumped right. Since then I have hot glued the connector after verifying the fpv feed comes on.
Well - hey - always glad to get advice. Flew it outdoors just now - and the FPV looks great. Latency wasn't an issue (but I just putter about). And ... the new Kakute-F7 AIO FC on a 3" frame with that camera ... it flies like honey.
Dec 17, 2018, 05:23 AM
I run my Turtle v2 from 5v on my Mamba F405 FC. It's not totally clean but very acceptable. The VTX is Eachine TX56 running on 200mW from VBAT. At first I had terrible noise in my FPV feed, but the fix was to put some tape between the VTX RP-SMA connector and the carbon frame.
Dec 17, 2018, 05:24 AM
The lens on my Turtle V2 was terribly out of focus. It took me a few tries to get it right. And I now get a very nice picture with Sharpness set to 3.
Dec 17, 2018, 05:34 AM
Unfortunately I also get the "rainbow" banding issue on the sides of the screen. It's seems related to power source, because it seems to change with throttle settings. I'm uploading a video where you can see this.
Dec 17, 2018, 09:46 AM
Launch the drones ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreh
I run my Turtle v2 from 5v on my Mamba F405 FC. It's not totally clean but very acceptable. The VTX is Eachine TX56 running on 200mW from VBAT. At first I had terrible noise in my FPV feed, but the fix was to put some tape between the VTX RP-SMA connector and the carbon frame.
Interesting - that you had to insulate that. I'll keep it in mind.
Dec 18, 2018, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Green
Interesting - that you had to insulate that. I'll keep it in mind.
I came across it on an old post. The conductive carbon fiber can cause a ground loop and pick up interference.
Dec 18, 2018, 10:59 AM
RX5
RX5
To get good fpv feed = feed your vtx and cam with separate REGULATED 5V.
Dec 18, 2018, 12:05 PM
Launch the drones ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX5
My vTx is fine on 4s.
Dec 18, 2018, 12:28 PM
I kill batteries!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX5
Not always.

Better quality vtx's with their own 5v regulated/filtered output for cameras can take direct lipo voltage (up to 6s on some models) and output clean power to the camera.

That still doesn't fix the fact that you want to ensure your grounds for your vtx and your camera are common.

On your flight controller (assuming it has osd built-in) you normally have 2 sets of 3 point connections. 5v, GND, and VID-IN/OUT. Usually these would be 5v filtered...not always regulated.

I have no issues at all sending direct lipo to my vtx. Then camera to 5v line off my vtx. Ground from camera goes to ground on fc osd ground. Ground from vtx (that normally goes to the camera) goes to the ground on the fc osd ground. Vid from camera to vid on fc. Vid from vtx to vid on fc.

I no longer use cheap vtx's...they are just "dirty power" all around.
Dec 19, 2018, 06:31 AM
hello, I thought I would also buy a turtle v.2 to get the audio, but I did not understand if the audio is also on the fpv signal or only on the dvr. Thanks for the reply.
Dec 19, 2018, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by REfuso
hello, I thought I would also buy a turtle v.2 to get the audio, but I did not understand if the audio is also on the fpv signal or only on the dvr. Thanks for the reply.
No only on DVR unfortunately
Dec 19, 2018, 10:50 AM
tank pierreh.
Absurd, I do not think I'm the only one who likes to have an audio feedback of the engines while flying in fpv, I think it is also a not too costly solution for those who design and build. I was thinking of buying a caddx v2 but if the audio is only for the dvr I give up.
Dec 19, 2018, 01:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by REfuso
tank pierreh.
Absurd, I do not think I'm the only one who likes to have an audio feedback of the engines while flying in fpv, I think it is also a not too costly solution for those who design and build. I was thinking of buying a caddx v2 but if the audio is only for the dvr I give up.
Runcam Split Mini has no audio out also. So no options for 20x20mm so far.

Quick Reply