Jul 29, 2018, 09:33 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
That's what I need, a new balsa airplane. The 500 is looking fine! keep at it. The Clodbuster is an all time classic and are very hard to find in any country. Good job finding a virgin kit, bravo!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2018, 10:16 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Scottie!. Heya Scott!!!!! Welcome back old friend. This is the rereleased version, the Super Clodbuster
Jul 31, 2018, 10:33 AM
Thread OP

Help with Stickers?

My life has been taken over with spraying (and cooking..). Hopefully tomorrow I can buff and apply some decals. Just checking here- I run the stickers through soapy water, position them, then let them dry?
Jul 31, 2018, 12:58 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
Looks good Al. Applying the decals are the best part.
Aug 01, 2018, 12:10 PM
Thread OP
The wing is going together slowly, but things will speed up now that the monster truck is finally finished
Aug 02, 2018, 05:28 AM
Thread OP
Got the main structure of the port wing done. Everything seems unusually straight, so I guess taking it slowly has benefits.
Aug 04, 2018, 06:19 AM
Thread OP
Had some decent flying in somewhat windy weather earlier. The poor Electra was pretty much stationary Fun, but makes landing interesting.... Once I'm home will tackle the other wing
Aug 04, 2018, 03:10 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Landing the sailplane like a chopper is an art,and fun.When you can set it down gently while it's moving backwards you know you got it!
Aug 04, 2018, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsabie
Had some decent flying in somewhat windy weather earlier. The poor Electra was pretty much stationary Fun, but makes landing interesting.... Once I'm home will tackle the other wing
... which reminds me; I must give my Electra another spin soon. S'been too long.
Aug 04, 2018, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Fortunately I had the field to myself, so I could mess around. I was landing on the cross runway, which slopes downhill a bit. I did ok- one nice landing with each plane, but my first landing with the air youth glider was a bit long, although still down the runway. The first landing with the Electra was looking good until about two feet off the ground, when I stalled it and caught a wing tip .

I always battle to judge the landing speed in wind, and normally would add a tiny bit of down trim before starting my approach just to be sure the thing is actually moving. But today I forgot. .

Afraid my landings will never come near art in any form....but at least they come home intact. Normally. And I don't think I'll ever be happy with my soaring abilities....

Hey Dad, get that Electra out!!! They may be "old school", "slow" "gas bags", but when the sport flyers are complaining about the conditions and packing up, you can be happily watching your model float around gracefully

Al
Aug 04, 2018, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsabie
...Hey Dad, get that Electra out!!! They may be "old school", "slow" "gas bags", but when the sport flyers are complaining about the conditions and packing up, you can be happily watching your model float around gracefully...
Absolutely..! Of all the 'planes I've built so far, It's the only one that has had a successful launch and landing, and that I've actually had under my control (or, at least, some semblance of...) for a short while. I shall definitely take her with me at the next occasion, and have a bit of a float around. If conditions are right, I may even attempt a landing..!
Aug 10, 2018, 04:50 AM
Thread OP
I've been away a while as my dad isn't doing so well. Back now, and workshop tidied. Time to start the second wing...

Once this one is together, then the center section will be sorted- the wing will narrower over the fuselage .

Looks like all the bits are here, and that I'm not building the same wing twice , so time to splash sone glue around
Aug 12, 2018, 04:31 AM
Thread OP
The basics of both wings finally done. Now working out middle rear cut out. But at last we get an idea of how she'll look
Aug 12, 2018, 04:57 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Are you sure that fin is going to be big enough Al?
Aug 12, 2018, 05:27 AM
Thread OP
Dunno George, it should be

Had to get a photo with everything more or less in place and sort of held together. It's time for shear webs (when the mood takes me), otherwise elevator and rudder time

Quick Reply