Jun 30, 2018, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
Alert

New kit release from legend model boats

It has been seems a very long time since I have taken Xacto knife to wood to start a new kit project, and to this end I now post the first prototype build for the first of the new LEGEND Model Boat Kits. It has been a full six years since we were wiped out from hurricane “SANDY”, and along with on- going medical problems, have kept me from starting any new kit productions. The one good thing that kept me going was that with all that down time with the factory rebuild, it allowed me time to research and draw up the CAD programs for the new kits once we were back in business.

To this end I am posting the prototype build of the first kit to be released, Kit #712, the 16’ Outboard SKI boat, “Swish Blade”. This will be a 1/6th scale kit with a hull measuring 32” long with a beam of 13”. The model can be powered with any nitro motor to 7.5cc or brushed or brushless battery powered out board motor.

The M.A.C.K. Power package for the model, #PP712CE, contains the M.A.C.K./PROBOAT outboard motor #7020 with the water cooled brushless motor, M.A.C.K. one way water cooled E.S.C. #7186, battery “Y” harness #4004DXL, and motor mounting and servo hook up hardware along with water cooling hardware and tubing.

For your viewing pleasure as well as a look see at the new kit we will be releasing, I am posting the pictures of the prototype build along with a few running photos of the boat in action.
Last edited by frankg; Jul 01, 2018 at 09:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2018, 04:45 PM
Grumpa Tom
Yay!
Jun 30, 2018, 04:55 PM
Grumpa Tom
Rich, when do you expect to have a website up and operating again?
Jul 01, 2018, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
KMOT- How Is it going? To answer your question about the web site as best I can, I really have no idea when it will be up again, only that we are working very hard to do so.

The problem is that we are using a brand new program to formulate our web site to update it for use with our new web host, and it is taking some time to learn the new program.

Believe me when I say, no one wants the web site up and running again more than I, since without it we are effectively out of business to the rest of the world.
Jul 01, 2018, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
This morning the wife and I took the new model of the 16’ SKI BOAT “Swish Blade” down to the lake for her first shake down run. The model not only looks good she runs great with some reservations.

As design the model is a modified shallow “Vee”hull bottom. Since there was a slight “Vee” on the bottom, I decided to try running the model without the turn fin mounted on the bottom.
Well the results of test running the model before going to market paid off in spades, or should I say DAGGER, as in TURN FIN.

The model runs fine and tracks true in the straight a-way’s, but when turning the power has to cut to bring the model off plane to make a sharper turn. I had had originally had designed the model to incorporate a turn fin and already built in the bottom backers where the turn fin mounts to the bottom of the hull.

Needless to say the model kits will now have the all brass turn fin and hardware included in the kit.

Here are some pictures of the model with her bottom getting wet, first time out of the box. The one thing I can say is the model is very fast.
Jul 01, 2018, 02:30 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Very nice, but it needs a crew!

Regards, Jan.
Jul 01, 2018, 07:54 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Cool little ski boat-I would't mind building one -Nice!
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Jul 02, 2018 at 05:59 AM.
Jul 02, 2018, 09:56 AM
Thread OP
POMPEBLED-I never put a crew on a model because I am not that good a carving figures’.

The model is a true 1/6th scale model which means that any BARBIE or KEN doll will fit right in the model.
Jul 04, 2018, 10:54 AM
Tinkerer in Training
Glad to see you are back up and running. Model looks great!
Jul 14, 2018, 02:27 PM
Rich, this is a great looking boat! Aside from massively overpowered, how would it do with two outboards?
Jul 14, 2018, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
Dave in CH- I do not think you could float more weight of a second outboard motor on the transom. Aside from that, the outboard motor we are using has a brushless motor rated at 1-3/4 hp, and I have as of yet not opened her up to full throttle for a run.

I had to bring the boat back into the shop to add the skid (turn) fin to the bottom since when I ran her without it she would slide sideways in the turns and I would have to cut the throttle back almost to idle to make a turn.

I know that the real boat was made into an inboard SKI boat with a small block chevy and vee drive, but that weight was inboard of the transom , not hanging off the back of the transom.
Jul 14, 2018, 05:17 PM
Spiffy looking boat but I've only got, with luck, one more build in me so I'm waiting for the Lyman outboard to go with my 25' Softtop. I know they are different scale s but will still look great together.

Quick Reply