Jul 07, 2018, 07:54 AM
Too miserably hot to stay in the workshop for long (Friday), so all I did was glue the fuselage halves together and sand the aileron bays.

Saturday, the weather is MUCH nicer in NJ. It's actually a bit chilly and much drier. It's also too windy to fly, I hope to get a bit more done today.

Next step should be sanding the ailerons and the tail feathers, then papering them with newsprint and Titebond/water mix. For the fuse, I'll put it in a jig, then start with the top block, LG parts, etc.

I plan to paper the wings with brown wrapping paper (Dollar Store) and Titebond/water. The rest of the papering will be newsprint (blank stuff I found at Wal-Mart).

Assuming the Budgie flies well, I'll submit it to RCM&E as a build article; if they don't take it, I promise I'll post the full-size PDF here and will make the .DWG file available.

CD
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2018, 01:53 PM
Painted on the first coat of Titebond & water last night.

Today, sanded that coat down, then papered aileron bay, tail surfaces, & ailerons with newspaper and Titebond/water.

I use straight Titebond where I need to bend & overlap the paper, then pin the paper down with T-pins and pin clamps (the black, red, and green dots).

Unless I get interrupted, tomorrow I'll brown paper the wing panels. I need to get the bottom wing done enough to mount it to the fuselage, so I can jig up the fuse and add the tail feathers.

CD
Jul 14, 2018, 02:10 PM
I've been a bit busy over the last week, mainly trying to calm some upset folks in our club. Did get a bit of building done, though.

Wings are now brown papered, spackled, sanded, and joined. Elevators and ailerons have 1/16" bass inserts to help hold music wire joiners/torque rods. Top wing is drying with cabane blocks inserted.

Planned next steps are to wrap the center-sections with brown paper & glue, add paper 'diamond' spars, and mount bottom wing to fuse (time for another jig!).

CD
Jul 15, 2018, 04:16 PM
Didn't get a lot done until after Church, but did manage to get the paper diamond spars added to both wings, top and bottom (not that it shows very well in these pictures). Now, to let them dry, then the wings, tail surfaces, ailerons, etc., all get a second coat of Titebond & water (need to come up with an abbreviated term for "50/50 Titebond and Water". Somehow, I don't think calling it "half-titter" would fly).

CD
Jul 17, 2018, 02:22 PM
Gave all the finished, papered parts a cover coat of Titebond & water yesterday. Today, mounted the bottom wing, joined the fuse sides at the tail, added the main LG blocks, and sheeted under the nose.

Next step should be flipping the fuse over and gluing on the turtledeck foam sheet, although I may solder the main gear, first. Once the turtledeck is dry, next step is to switch the jig to 'tail mount mode' and add both the tail surfaces and the top wing.

CD
Jul 17, 2018, 03:30 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
That's a nice building jig. An excellent way to avoid the dreaded 'banana fuselage.'
Jul 20, 2018, 07:10 PM
Thank you, Whiskers. A jig may only be needed for a short while, but the end result of using one is well worth the time needed to fabricate, set up, and take it down.

This is the same jig, but with the wing brace attachments installed and most of the fuselage braces removed (I also have a round-fuselage attachment, but won't need it for this build).

I get attach the wing to the fuse, first. Then I attach the wing to the fuse and level it (bottom of the wing is flat aft of the CG location). Then, all I need do is level the tail plane (Gorilla Glue, hence the heavy sanding block to ensure no movement).

Next steps are to finish the battery hatch, add the fin/V Stab, and then fabricate the cabanes.

CD
Jul 24, 2018, 04:50 PM
After much bending/soldering/undoldering/re-bending, etc., the cabanes are done. Now, to try the 'N' struts!

Otherwise, today I installed the pushrod tubes, glued the control horns into the rudder & elevator, joined the elevator halves, and did a few other chores. Meanwhile, I kept staring at my 'N' strut drawings, but haven't yet come up with a solution.

CD
Aug 03, 2018, 08:55 AM
Sorry I haven't posted for a bit, but we've been busy with all sorts of non-critical, but still time-intensive 'stuff'.

I did get the fuselage papered, using the same Wal-Mart blank newsprint as I used on the ailerons and tail surfaces. All the papered surfaces have now gotten an overcoat of Titebond & water (their third coat, in total). Some spackling and sanding is done, too

I had to fix two "Oopsies", where the top wing foam melted whilst I was soldering the front cabane lugs to the forward struts. I slit the brown paper, pumped in some expanding foam, wrapped the area with tape, and let it cure. Seems strong enough, and since it's forward of the front cabane brace, I think it's not going to be a strength problem.

I also built up the 'N" struts from 3/32 and 1/16" X 1/4" bass strips, overlapping the joints. I intend to permanently mount the struts to the bottom wing, using .032" flexible cable embedded in the strut end and into 1/4" dowel glued into the wing. On each strut top, I plan to use an "L" of .032" music wire, glued into more 1/4" dowel on the wing bottom and retained into a hole in the strut via a rubber band. That way, detaching the struts so the bottom wing can be removed for access to the fuse interior should be much easier.

The battery hatch is retained in the front by Popsicle stick bitsj, and by magnets on the sides of the hatch and hatch insert. In the below shots, the X-Acto knife is stick to the magnets, which are held in place by glue and glued paper. I find using the magnets in a shear mode works better (for me) than pulling directly against them.

Next step is to finish the 'N' struts. After that, I'll be ready for final sanding, filling and paint preparation.

CD
Aug 08, 2018, 08:18 PM
I primed the model with Zinsser Bulls-Eye 1-2-3 Acrylic water-based primer, thinned 50/50 with water (!) so I could spray it via my old Badger airbrush. The stuff went on surprisingly well, dried quickly, and sanded well. Two coats of that, followed by 220 and 400 grits sandpaper.

Shots below show all but the ailerons, after two coats of Sherwin-Williams (Lowes) 'Dutch Tulip' yellow. I think one more coat will do it, then I plan to use rattlecan Rustoleum royal blue for trim (struts, LG hubs, parts of the rest, mixed with ironed on Ultracote royal blue or red).
Last edited by Captain Dunsel; Aug 09, 2018 at 07:45 AM.
Aug 09, 2018, 06:25 AM
Looking very sharp.
Aug 09, 2018, 07:50 AM
Thank you, Whiskers.

I swapped the .bmp images with .jpgs, so they'd show up without having to be downloaded (at least, that's what happens in my browser/computer combo).

I got the drawing outlines by copying the DraftSight file, removing all the innards, etc., assembling the bits into a 3-view, and editing the vertical view into a top/bottom split. After that, I exported the drawing as a .bmp and loaded it into a simple drawing program (KolourPaint).

When I'm satisfied with the design, I'll go back to DraftSight, draw the design onto the plans, and print out full-sized templates.

Still looking at other planes for ideas, though!

CD
Aug 12, 2018, 12:39 PM
My wife and I started bouncing ideas around, looking at yellow bipes on the Internet, etc., and came up with what you see below: Budgie-San!

The hinomarus are red Ultracote, ironed onto the paint, whilst the cockpit opening is (sorta) flat black Super Monokote.

The blue is Rustoleum spray. Letters and numbers were laser-printed onto clear peel-and-stick mailing labels. I found a free "Japanese style" font that I used for the lettering.

Incidentally, this is my 200th R/C model, hence the '200' on the rudder. That counts all the ones I or my wife have built or bought since I started in the hobby over 50 years ago.

I used Windex to lubricate the labels, so now I have to wait until they dry before I can spray satin Polycrylic over the glossy and label bits. That way, everything will have a matching gloss (or lack thereof!).

After the overcoat dries, it's time to re-install the gear, assemble & balance the bird, and make up the pilot.
CD
Aug 12, 2018, 03:54 PM
Ah so!
Velly good.
Aug 14, 2018, 04:43 PM
Gear is installed and pilot is in the cockpit. With a 3S1000, weight is right about 26 oz; with a 3S1500, it's almost 18 oz. At 400 in. sq., that's around 10 oz/ft.sq. and about 73 watts/lb. Right in the desired ballpark!

Hopefully, the maiden will be in a few days. If not, it'll have to wait until after our next camping trip.

CD

Quick Reply