Jun 29, 2018, 08:15 PM
Build Log

Budgie Biplane

My newest project, a 400 sq. inch foam bipe. Construction is pink foam, with light ply and bass bulkheads, etc. Covering will be brown paper and newsprint, adhered with Titebond & water.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 29, 2018, 08:18 PM
Got the plans printed at Staples, yesterday, 36" x 48". Target is 400 in. sq., 32.2" span, weight under 28 oz. Power is planned to be a Turnigy 1400Kv motor on a 3S 1500 lipo. If the plane is successful, I'll submit it to RCM&E as a build article.

I've added a reduced-size version of the PDF to this post. I draw my designs using colors, then get them printed in monochrome. That saves a few dollars, plus actually comes out better. And, it makes me be more careful, especially when a design goes to a magazine, as they all work with monochrome.

CD
Last edited by Captain Dunsel; Jun 30, 2018 at 06:55 AM.
Jun 30, 2018, 11:21 AM
Retired CAD guy
Looks like a very nice design.
Best of luck with your submission to the mag.

Having been "into" Parrots et al ,
your chosen name got my interest.

My only question is ...
Who reads paper magazines any longer ?

With respect...
After all , wasn't it RCG that pretty much killed all of Wil Byers RC magazines ?
That IS the effect that Online forums have had on the magazine industry.
Even AMA has an ONLINE version.
Welcome to reality 2018.
Jun 30, 2018, 12:03 PM
I worked for RCMW for several years. They were pretty healthy, only being killed off when their parent company went tango uniform. Working for them made me a better modeler and a much more careful draftsman. My wife also had a blast, taking the piccies -- she even got one cover!

Byers mags are dead? Not going to cry as he alienated me a long time ago with his pushy attitude.

Doesn't matter if AMA's mag is paper or electrons, either way it's not very useful. I'm usually done with in within an hour, then it goes to the local doctor's office.

Regarding budgies, my family had a parakeet when I was in my early teens, plus my wife and I had a neat experience at a small Florida zoo's budgie house. You bought a tongue depressor, with a coating of seeds loosely glued onto one end, then went into the budgie house via a series of doors (a "bird lock"). The budgies would, gently, land on your hands, head, shoulders, etc., and chew the seeds off the stick. Hold out your finger, and you'd have a line of them. Was truly neat to see how much they trusted humans.

CD
Jun 30, 2018, 04:43 PM
Retired CAD guy

Understood and basically agreed.

I have had good times with Will at his events in Oregon and Washington States.
Drinking and flying off the top of Mt Howard in the Wallowas.
There is nothing quite like flying from Alpine areas like MH and Memaloose.
Some of the scariest places I've ever driven to, but , Oh the Flying !!!!

Budgies, Cockatiels, Sun Conures, and my 23+ yr African Grey.

We've gotten older and shed those ties lately.
Gozmo hated out new Indiana digs vs our previous WA state home.
But, we loved the birds when they were ours.
Jun 30, 2018, 05:15 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Camping at a water hole in the Northern Territory I've seen big flocks of wild budgies come in to refresh themselves at dusk.
Worth a million dollars a minute, costs nothing.
Jun 30, 2018, 07:51 PM
Retired CAD guy
You guys have all the FUN birds in OZ !

Cockatoo's, Budgies, Kookaburras, Cassowaries, Penguins etc etc etc.
Jun 30, 2018, 08:00 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia is the Land Of Birds.
I had a Spangled Drongo in my garden recently. There's a great name.
Jun 30, 2018, 08:34 PM
It's a bit toasty for New Jersey, so I didn't get all too much done, today.

Cut out and sanded the light ply bits, cut the fuse blanks in two, and prepped the wing cores. Hopefully, I'll get the wing panels cut tomorrow, if my un-air-conditioned workshop isn't too hot.

Spent the evening watching "Star Trek: First Contact" with the Mrs. (Miss Micki). How I miss good science fiction TV!

Will got on my nerves with his constant "R/C means Remote Control", not "Radio Control". Have your preference, but understand not everyone thinks of it that way. It's like modern folks calling Glow R/C "Nitro". I don't agree, but I won't keep trying to 'correct' them.

Whiskers, you have my envy! Whilst we 'know' birds aren't very smart, those of us who watch them see all sorts of intelligent, playful action by the feathered critters.

CD
Last edited by Captain Dunsel; Jun 30, 2018 at 08:45 PM.
Jun 30, 2018, 09:01 PM
Looks like you are off to a great start.Watching with great interest. Foam and paper are two of my favorite materials. Keep up the good work.
Jul 01, 2018, 04:31 PM
Went through 7 core blanks to get 4 I could use, but only 1 I really like. So, tomorrow, it'll be time to cut more core blanks and try again!

I normally don't have this much trouble with cores, but I had all sorts of glitches, i.e., sandpaper broke, snagged a core, and ripped out the TE (although I'm trying to fix that with a section from another core).

CD
Jul 01, 2018, 05:00 PM
treefinder
Must be the heat! Might as well use the excuse while we can!
Jul 02, 2018, 05:30 PM
Yaaay! Got three good cores out of three blanks. Now, all I need to fabricate are the wire bits, then I need to rout out the cores. After that, I get to BUILD!

I have my doubts about this going to a magazine, as a builder would need to hot wire the cores and fabricate the thinner foam used for the fuse and tail feathers. Whilst foam coring was very common 20-30 years ago, I think it's becoming a lost art.

CD
Jul 03, 2018, 01:53 PM
Progress has been made!

Glued balsa TEs to the cores, glued the servo tray supports to the tray bottom, sewed the cabane tubes to the bulkheads (and CA'd the fishing line), plus routed out the fuse sides.

Hope to get a lot more done tomorrow!

CD
Jul 04, 2018, 01:50 PM
Today's progress:

The fuselage is constant width from the wing TE forward, so today I glued in all four of those bulkheads, plus the servo tray and the bottom of the wing bolt plate. I also glued on the rudder fairing bits, sanded the wing TE's, shaped and sanded the tips, and cut out the ailerons (bottom wing, only).

Wound up with a tug-tears on the wing bottom (despite sharpening the blade, repeatedly). So, spackled the wing TE.

Tomorrow is our volunteering day at the county Animal Shelter, so I may not get much done. If I can, I'll sand and paper the aileron bays, sand the tail feathers, and join the fuse halves.

It's been too darned hot to go flying!

CD

Quick Reply