Sep 04, 2019, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350
Something I learned recently and thought I would share with the Cherokee crew. If you bind without SAFE, the rudder deflection may be reduced. If you bind with SAFE, you get full rudder deflection regardless of actually using SAFE. If you are seeing about half the rudder deflection that you should have, try binding with SAFE. Something with the programming on the receiver that is causing an issue.
Interesting observation. Here's something I learned thru trial and error (or maybe accident?). I always bind SAFE enabled and assign it on/off to a 2 position switch. On both of my larger SAFE equipped planes, the Cherokee and the Cessna 150, it seemed strange that sometimes the ground handling-ie: the nose wheel steering- was marginally effective. Yet sometimes it turned on a dime. I found out that when I had SAFE turned on, it LIMITED the rudder throw making my turning ability on the ground small. Switch SAFE off, however, and I could steer a 90 degree turn in the plane's own length.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2019, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMeDo
I made a little access plug right above the screw that removes the front landing gear. I swapped out the nose gear and tacked the plug back until next time I need to remove the Steering mount.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/steerin...-13m-p-efl5463
Jeff...
OK, I thought of doing that but didn't know if that screw was going to drop the gear. Thanks. Can you leave the screw in a little for re-assembly or does it have to come all the way out. I can see my big hands trying to get it back in there.....
Sep 04, 2019, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzir
Interesting observation. Here's something I learned thru trial and error (or maybe accident?). I always bind SAFE enabled and assign it on/off to a 2 position switch. On both of my larger SAFE equipped planes, the Cherokee and the Cessna 150, it seemed strange that sometimes the ground handling-ie: the nose wheel steering- was marginally effective. Yet sometimes it turned on a dime. I found out that when I had SAFE turned on, it LIMITED the rudder throw making my turning ability on the ground small. Switch SAFE off, however, and I could steer a 90 degree turn in the plane's own length.
Matt from Horizon noted the issue in the EC-1500 thread and I asked if the Cherokee had the same issue. He said it did. Oddly, Out of the 2 Cherokees that I have checked the rudder deflection, both are acceptable without being bound with SAFE. I have about double what Rampage had on his Cherokee. I don't taxi in the grass due to worries about damaging the rudder servo so I haven't noticed any issues with the turn radius on the ground. Always feels like I have plenty of rudder authority in the air too.
Sep 04, 2019, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Matt from Horizon noted the issue in the EC-1500 thread and I asked if the Cherokee had the same issue. He said it did. Oddly, Out of the 2 Cherokees that I have checked the rudder deflection, both are acceptable without being bound with SAFE. I have about double what Rampage had on his Cherokee. I don't taxi in the grass due to worries about damaging the rudder servo so I haven't noticed any issues with the turn radius on the ground. Always feels like I have plenty of rudder authority in the air too.
I never had any issues with flying, and the ground steering thing wasn't a big deal-just had to compensate for a wide turn radius. But now I just taxi with SAFE off and both of these planes (yes, I have rebuilt/tightened my Cessna nose gear) turn on the ground like champions. Try it sometime on pavement. Taxi around making turns with SAFE on, then turn it off and see if it makes a difference.
Sep 04, 2019, 10:34 AM
Sure, I will have to give it a shot sometime on my driveway. That is the only time my planes get to taxi. Only the big Timber taxi's in the grass as that doesn't nose over and I am not worried about putting stress on the steering linkage and servo. I haven't flown my Cherokee or just about any plane since a month ago thanks to a shift in the weather pattern that has made it very windy every day. The wind here yesterday was higher than anywhere in Florida where they have a hurricane off the coast. Hopefully I can get the Cherokee back in the air before the season ends.
Sep 04, 2019, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Sure, I will have to give it a shot sometime on my driveway. That is the only time my planes get to taxi. Only the big Timber taxi's in the grass as that doesn't nose over and I am not worried about putting stress on the steering linkage and servo. I haven't flown my Cherokee or just about any plane since a month ago thanks to a shift in the weather pattern that has made it very windy every day. The wind here yesterday was higher than anywhere in Florida where they have a hurricane off the coast. Hopefully I can get the Cherokee back in the air before the season ends.
I feel bad for you as here in NYS we have had a very nice Summer with many days clear and light breezes. Wish I could say I took full advantage of it, but many days I just can't get my sad tired old butt out the door. Was out yesterday and it was nice. This weekend I will be flying at the Jamboree at Old Rhinebeck, so there's that. Today it is kind of rainy and blustery. My main club was going to have a field meeting which would mean flying but it has been moved indoors due to the weather.
Sep 04, 2019, 11:06 AM
We had 6 weeks of perfect weather and that was it for the year. Very cold and brutal winter, coldest and wettest spring on record, least sunny days on record for the first 6 months of the year, club field was flooded for most of the spring until early July, and then a pattern shift to below average temps and cold front after cold front causing high winds. For the 6 weeks it was nice, I logged a lot of flights. I only put about half my planes into the air this year due to the weather. By the time I got the winter cobwebs out of my system and ready to start flying more of my planes, the weather started to shift.
Sep 04, 2019, 11:09 AM
Quote:
We had 6 weeks of perfect weather and that was it for the year. Very cold and brutal winter, coldest and wettest spring on record, least sunny days on record for the first 6 months of the year, club field was flooded for most of the spring until early July, and then a pattern shift to below average temps and cold front after cold front causing high winds. For the 6 weeks it was nice, I logged a lot of flights. I only put about half my planes into the air this year due to the weather. By the time I got the winter cobwebs out of my system and ready to start flying more of my planes, the weather started to shift.
Just goes to show you the only thing you can say about the weather FOR SURE is it's going to happen.
Sep 04, 2019, 11:16 AM
Ha, yep! At least we had 6 solid weeks of perfect weather.
Oct 21, 2019, 06:19 AM
Lower AL
It was a Cherokee type of day yesterday, 3s 2200, Lemon dmsx non gyro rx. "Music" by Tuco.
eFlite Cherokee PnP 3s 2200 20Oct19 (5 min 33 sec)

Jeff...
Oct 21, 2019, 07:13 AM
Flew mine on Friday night for probably the last time of the season. I cleaned her all up yesterday and hung her up in the garage. Already looking forward to spring when I can get her back out again. I also need to get my other Cherokee in the air. I planned to do that this summer and never got around to it.
Oct 21, 2019, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Flew mine on Friday night for probably the last time of the season. I cleaned her all up yesterday and hung her up in the garage. Already looking forward to spring when I can get her back out again. I also need to get my other Cherokee in the air. I planned to do that this summer and never got around to it.
I took mine for a spin last Sunday and may have accidentally sold one for Horizon. One of my buddies "test fit" into his Prius. Has to fit or its off the list. It fit. LOL!

I had a great flight and expect more thru the Winter as I do not stop flying because it's cold. Of course, NY is not quite the same as MI!
Oct 21, 2019, 09:44 AM
I am pretty much the same way with my planes and my Fiesta hatchback. Planes that don't fit rarely make the list. I make some exceptions and can use my wife's Escape for the larger planes. The Cherokee just fit into the Fiesta. If it was an inch longer in wingspan, it wouldn't be able to fit.

We get around 120 inches of snow living along Lake Michigan and it is pretty much always windy. There are a few days that are nice, and I will probably fly the Timber on those days. I just don't enjoy flying when I can't feel my fingers.
Oct 21, 2019, 11:46 AM
Quote:
I am pretty much the same way with my planes and my Fiesta hatchback. Planes that don't fit rarely make the list. I make some exceptions and can use my wife's Escape for the larger planes. The Cherokee just fit into the Fiesta. If it was an inch longer in wingspan, it wouldn't be able to fit.

We get around 120 inches of snow living along Lake Michigan and it is pretty much always windy. There are a few days that are nice, and I will probably fly the Timber on those days. I just don't enjoy flying when I can't feel my fingers.
I drive a van specifically because I like big airplanes. Frozen fingers can take the fun out of it. I use a nice cozy transmitter glove and find it very helpful on those cold days.

Quick Reply