Jun 28, 2018, 04:09 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Cherokee 1.3m BNF Basic with AS3X and SAFE Select

Is this a brand new release or did I miss it's announcement? Saw it early this morning on the HH site and I don't remember seeing this.

I did a few searches and couldn't find a thread. Got some nice features for the price. Love the 50A ESC.
Last edited by Capt Ed; Jun 28, 2018 at 04:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2018, 07:14 AM
It is new today. Looks like we have a battle of Cherokee's on our hands. Tower Hobbies/Horizon has a 43 inch wood Cherokee coming soon and now we have an 52 inch E-Flite Cherokee.
Jun 28, 2018, 08:24 AM
Happy fly begin
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...lect-p-efl5450
Jun 28, 2018, 08:42 AM
Warbird & Jet Lover
Rampage should be happy!
Jun 28, 2018, 09:39 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt
Rampage should be happy!
Rampage is STOKED.

Jason got ahold of me last week about this. I should have one within the next couple of days to get more pictures for you guys and I'll be able to answer any questions about it.

There's no comparison between this and the Tower Hobbies version. This is bigger and is far, FAR more scale. It's even got a full-flying h-stab. That hasn't been done on a Cherokee under 100"..
Jun 28, 2018, 10:45 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdansalvish
It is new today. Looks like we have a battle of Cherokee's on our hands. Tower Hobbies/Horizon has a 43 inch wood Cherokee coming soon and now we have an 52 inch E-Flite Cherokee.
Only one of those is actually a Cherokee. The Tower model is pretty much a joke from a scale perspective. It's a slab-sided low-wing sport model with some outline tweaks to vaguely resemble a Cherokee.

I'm stoked for the recent HH/E-Flite releases. This is the third really nice scale GA release from them in this size class in recent memory (following the Cirrus & Maule).

Really great for GA fans like myself.
Jun 28, 2018, 10:49 AM
DFS#000178
Horizon does have a history of gorgeous scale GA airplanes. This one is getting lots of pictures with my Bonanza!

I'm really happy they're getting back to that, even if it's in foam instead of balsa. This Cherokee is gorgeous. And it's kind of flattering to know I was on the teams' mind when they were getting her going.
Last edited by Rampage; Jun 28, 2018 at 10:55 AM.
Jun 28, 2018, 10:56 AM
Only .. 1 ..flaw....It cannot be 3D......
Jun 28, 2018, 11:06 AM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Horizon Hobby's Thursday Thunder for 06/28/2018 (15 min 18 sec)

E-flite Cherokee 1.3m (4 min 14 sec)
Last edited by Red Flyer; Jun 29, 2018 at 12:46 AM.
Jun 28, 2018, 11:07 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
I bet it'd hover on 4s.
Last edited by Rampage; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:51 PM.
Jun 28, 2018, 11:11 AM
Love it, love it, love it!!!!!!

I completely gave up on ever seeing a Cherokee after the interview with the Cirrus launch indicated the GA market has moved on past the Piper planes and the Cirrus is the current and future plane of choice. I decided after waiting long enough that there wasn't going to be a Cherokee or Archer replacement, so I bought another Archer, designed all the graphics, bought all the paint (just yesterday), and was getting ready to strip my new Archer to turn it into my grandpa's 1966 Cherokee 180 C. I see this and instantly fired off an email to Callie to have her put a hold on the graphics as they will need to be scaled up for this one!

Growing up around Cherokees, Arrows, and Warriors, this is a must have for me. I started flying in an Arrow when I was a few years old and designed the scheme for my grandfather's 1994 Arrow. Now I can finally have a Cherokee that looks right and turn it into his plane. I wish he was still around to see me make another one of his planes. He passed away a few months after I finished turning one of my Archers into his Arrow.

Parkzone Piper Arrow by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Parkzone Piper Arrow by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Piper and Parkzone Arrow N520AR by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Everything about this Cherokee is perfect. The scale looks right, the landing gear look right, the wheel pants look right, it has lights, it has flaps, it has the correct cowl, it is just perfect. Seeing the Cherokee brings back a lot of memories, and I can't wait to get it. I actually had tears looking at the picture of the Cherokee in flight. It is just perfect.
Jun 28, 2018, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Just pre-ordered! Can't wait to see some flight videos. Rampage, get er done!
Jun 28, 2018, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I bet it'd hover on 4s.
It definitely hovers on 4S!! And funny fact...we just told them to take the hovering footage out of the video because we were concerned some overly-critical viewers would give us a hard time for showing a Cherokee MODEL doing something the full-scale one can't do (just like they blast us for showing warbirds doing aerobatics like rolling circles and knife edge because the MODEL can )
Last edited by Jason M; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:57 PM.
Jun 28, 2018, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Horizon does have a history of gorgeous scale GA airplanes. This one is getting lots of pictures with my Bonanza!

I'm really happy they're getting back to that, even if it's in foam instead of balsa. This Cherokee is gorgeous. And it's kind of flattering to know I was on the teams' mind when they were getting her going.
For the last year or so we've all been saying "We can't wait for Rampage to see this!!!" (and for those that may not know, it takes upwards of 18-24 months to design, develop and produce a new aircraft )
Jun 28, 2018, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
It definitely hovers on 4S!! And funny fact...we just told them to take the hovering footage out of the video because we were concerned some overly-critical viewers would give us a hard time for showing a Cherokee MODEL doing something the full-scale one can't do (just like they blast us for showing warbirds doing aerobatics like rolling circles and knife edge because the MODEL can )
You could always release a special "directors cut" showing the hovering. I wouldn't mind at all.

It's not like the Valiant or Clipped Wing Cub can hover...

Quick Reply