Jun 27, 2018, 07:34 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Dumas Creole Queen

I am starting a new build log on the Dumas Creole Queen. It seems that there are very few of these builds out on the web and most are spotty on time line pictures. I will try to continue to take shots along the way and post new updates. Unless I find something interesting in the build I will keep my comments few and short. A few things I can tell you from the start. Build the frame on a board as instructed. I used a laser level to line everything up. Weight is an issue; Dumas said their finished model was 10#s and water would wash the deck. So I have decided to seal the lower level with caulk and build a wiper seal for the belt drive to reduce water from entering the boiler room area. (yes I know it is a diesel electric; I have rode on the real ship multiple times in my life).
Last edited by ScoutLeader; Oct 14, 2018 at 03:35 PM. Reason: add pics
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2018, 07:37 PM
Me and a guy with a mustache
Excellent!
Jun 27, 2018, 11:07 PM
Grumpa Tom
Neat! Glad you are showing your build up.

I have been on two paddle wheel cruisers, the American Queen and the American Empress. I really like these ships.
Jul 07, 2018, 11:01 AM
To anyone interested: I sell the plans for the current paddlewheel used on the CQ. The original wheel was replaced early in the boat's career, as I'm told the original fell apart!!. My plans are to the same scale as the Dumas kit and the new wheel can be built entirely of styrene parts. My price is $20.00 for the plans plus a set of close-up photos of the new wheel and the boat as she appeared in the 1980s & 90s.
Jul 07, 2018, 06:04 PM
I wasn't happy with the performance of a belt drive on my paddelwheeler drive system. Replaced it with a chain drive. Build is looking great!

https://www.servocity.com/press-fit-...s-0-1227-pitch
Jul 08, 2018, 07:50 PM
more planes than brains
It looks great so far. That's a nice choice in boat, I will be following the thread so keep the pictures coming. I love the sternwheelers. I am about to start building the Chaperon kit.
Jul 10, 2018, 01:46 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Great build log-we saw the Queen(from the deck of the Natchez) when we were in NOLA...I love the sconcey lights...nice touch. I had an alternate design on my Broward...might work for you in certain areas... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=107
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Oct 12, 2018, 01:10 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
How is the progress going on this beauty? Amazing work so far.

mike
Oct 14, 2018, 03:44 PM
Thread OP

Update Oct 2018

Little more work done. Decided to make most of the rails from 1/8 styrene and 1/16 bass. Hoping to have the boiler and upper deck rails laser cut. I cut the carondelets from brass today. Stack made of CPVC upper and lower PCV both 1/2. Joined together through the deck and tied to the smoke generator.

Decided to add some structure under the sun deck. Made it of balsa to save weight and the ribbing under the pilot house deck is bass to take the crown out of the wood.
Oct 14, 2018, 07:22 PM
Thread OP
A few more from this weekend progress. Time to put her up for a few days and get back to my real job.
Oct 14, 2018, 10:02 PM
Nicely done.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Oct 15, 2018, 08:11 AM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Have you done a float test yet, to see the results of the weight savings vs. the extra detail you added?
Oct 15, 2018, 12:06 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. There is nothing like a well made paddle wheeler. I have seen a few YouTube videos of the Creole Queen model and she does sit quite low in the water.

mike
Oct 15, 2018, 04:40 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Very pretty boat-When I was on the Natchez, I noticed that the two boilers were named Thelma and Louise-I wonder what they call the boilers on the Creole Queen?
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC

Quick Reply