Jun 27, 2018, 05:09 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Thread OP
Contest

Big Sky F5J 2018 in Montana. 2nd annual

The Helena Flying Tigers will be hosting the second annual BigSky F5J contest on Friday 17 Aug, 2018. This contest is part of the F5J-USA Tour, and the day before the annual two day Montana Summer ALES event, 18-19 Aug, 2018

Pilots meeting at 8:30am. Number of rounds and flyoff rounds will be decided when we get a better idea of how many will be attending.
Prizes awarded through 3rd place.
Contest Directors : Greg Douglas and Carl Thuesen

PM or email me to sign up.
Entry fee will be $20 and AMA or MAAC membership is required.
Water and soft drinks provided. We will grill some burgers and brats for lunch for a nominal fee (around $5).
This event will be flown using standard FAI F5J rules, except that motor restarts will be permitted and if used will result in a zero score for the round

Below there are links to the FAI rules and the F5J USA web site.

FAI F5J Rules

F5J USA

Check out the pictures (and video) from the inaugural 2017 Big Sky F5J last year.

2018 Pilots list (verbal confirmation)

Greg Douglas
Curtis Suter
Jon Garber
Carl Thuesen
David Beardsley
Brenden Beardsley
Peter Thannhauser
Rod Musgjerd

If you're planning on attending, please let me know as soon as you're able. Thanks!
Last edited by gdouglas; Aug 11, 2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: update pilot list
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2018, 10:04 PM
Team USA F5J
I’ll be there, sign me up!!

Jon
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes
Jun 27, 2018, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
Yay! Jon will be there to defend his title from last year. Hopefully, we can give him a little competition.

--
Greg
Jun 30, 2018, 09:33 PM
Team USA F5J
Could you post a running pilots list?

Thanks,

Jon
Jun 30, 2018, 11:18 PM
Thread OP
OK. If you're planning on attending, please let me know so I can add you to the list.

--
Greg
Jul 01, 2018, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
BTW, if you've never flown F5J and are thinking about seeing what all the recent hype is about, this contest would be the PERFECT first F5J contest for you. It's VERY low key, yet is still an official F5J-USA tour contest. If you need people to help you, there should be plenty of volunteers to time for you and give you their honest, best advice.

F5J may seem intimidating with all the rules and strategy, but this one should be less stressful. We're hoping for 12-15 pilots, and I'm pretty sure every one of them would be willing to help a beginner in his first F5J contest.

So come out and give it a try. Montana truly is big sky country !

--
Greg
Aug 03, 2018, 08:37 PM
Thread OP

Reminder

Reminder that the Helena Flying Tigers' Big Sky F5J contest is a mere 2 weeks away on Fri. 17 Aug. 2018. We sure do wish that YOU - YES YOU! would come out and fly with us, and then stay for the Montana Summer ALES on Sat. and Sunday, Aug. 18 and 19. It's going to be a good time.

Here's a video from last Saturday, showing the conditions around here. We started at 9AM, and I think that mostly everyone maxed their task times all day. In other words - get out there and shoot a few landings.

RC Sailplane ALES contest 28Jul2018 Helena, MT In-Flight video (3 min 50 sec)
Aug 03, 2018, 09:01 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Beautiful video Greg and very nice field. Who was that trying to steal your thermal? They were getting kinda close!
Aug 03, 2018, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
That would be Curtis Suter with his Red Merle VII. He's always horning in on other people's thermals. And he usually succeeds.

--
Greg
Aug 03, 2018, 09:28 PM
Red Merle ALES VII SJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
That would be Curtis Suter with his Red Merle VII. He's always horning in on other people's thermals. And he usually succeeds.

--
Greg
Wait...but you were higher!
Aug 03, 2018, 09:32 PM
Team Hello Kitty
LOL, I shoulda known
Aug 03, 2018, 09:55 PM
Red Merle ALES VII SJ
They say the camera adds 10 pounds so maybe we weren't as close as it appears!
Aug 14, 2018, 08:34 PM
Thread OP

Last call for Big Sky F5J Aug. 17 in E. Helena.

Greetings, pilots.

If you are signed up (verbally) for the Big Sky F5J, thank you, we are looking forward to a great contest.

If you're not signed up, but thinking about it - go for it! It WILL be fun.

The following people are verbally signed up, if you're on the list but are NOT going to make it, please let me know that as well.

Greg Douglas
Curtis Suter
Jon Garber
Carl Thuesen
David Beardsley
Brenden Beardsley
Peter Thannhauser
Rod Musgjerd

See you all on Friday !

--
Greg
Aug 14, 2018, 11:13 PM
Team USA F5J
As long as there are sufficient people I will be there...

See y’all there,

Jon
Aug 16, 2018, 10:56 PM
Thread OP
Well, it pains me to say this, but due to 3 pilots withdrawing at the last minute, we have decided to cancel this year's Big Sky F5J contest tomorrow, Fri. 17 Aug. 2018.

We still plan to fly starting around 8:30-9AM, we'll have the F5J clock and audio announcements running, so you can practice your F5J. This will be a great way to see what F5J is like, and see how easy it is and what strategies are involved.

So if you've nothing better to do, come on out and fly, it should be a fun time.

Lunch will be provided by the Helena Flying Tigers club, as will pop and water during the day.

The MT Summer ALES VII is still on for Sat. & Sun. 18-19 Aug. 2018. Pilot's meeting at 8:30AM

--
Greg

Quick Reply