Hacker Model EPP Rescue Boat Kit

Float flying is a ton of fun and offers a unique experience taking off and landing on the water. At some point, a gust of wind, a bad landing, or any number of things will eventually cause your model to be floating upside down on the water.

Splash

Easy Retrieval and Fun Too!

Float flying is a ton of fun and offers a unique experience taking off and landing on the water. At some point, a gust of wind, a bad landing, or any number of things will eventually cause your model to be floating upside down on the water. It's bound to happen sooner or later and if you don't like the sit and wait while the wind pushes the plane to shore method, then you might be interested in this Hacker Model Rescue Boat. It's been around awhile, but I recently came across it and thought it would be cool to share.

It's an EPP kit that's easy to build and features a blocky nose to allow pushing of other boats or planes around. You don't have to worry about weeds in the water either, since this is an airboat design, it will glide across just about anything. It's more than just a rescue boat too, this thing looks like it will be super fun to blast around on snow and hard surfaces using vectored thrust to provide steering control. It's unique looking and is available from Twisted Hobbys for $84.99.

Check out the Hacker Model EPP Rescue Boat Kit Here

Specifications:

• Length: 495mm
  • Width: 295mm

Recommended Electronics:

• 40-50g 1200-1500kv out-runner
  • 25-30A ESC
  • 50g Servo
  • 7x5 E Prop
  • 3s 850-1800mah
  • 3-4ch Rx

Rescue (3 min 38 sec)

Jun 26, 2018, 08:52 AM
But....wouldn't it be more fun to create your own??
Last edited by yodada; Jun 26, 2018 at 09:34 AM.
Jun 27, 2018, 03:48 AM
That looks fun, but a bit small for pushing a typical r/c seaplane?

This is mine (uses a pair of Bush Mule floats and two old quad motors) ... can go backwards as well

Air boat test 14 Jan 2018 (1 min 4 sec)
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jun 27, 2018, 07:38 AM
RCG Admin
Love it Bill!
Jun 27, 2018, 01:24 PM
I Fly in Colorado too!

Love that too!

Can you post some close up pics and list the parts you used and how you put it together. I have a set of floats I would like to do that with. I don't have a boat and want to fly my Beaver float plane but have not due to not being able to retreive it. This is the perfect answer.

Any info on HOW TO would be appreciated.

Archie
Jun 27, 2018, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwinger
Can you post some close up pics and list the parts you used and how you put it together. I have a set of floats I would like to do that with. I don't have a boat and want to fly my Beaver float plane but have not due to not being able to retreive it. This is the perfect answer.

Any info on HOW TO would be appreciated.

Archie
I keep meaning to do a build video when I get time, but here are some pics & details that should hopefully give enough info. I bought the airtight food box that holds all the electronics first, then designed the frame around it - this is from 'display grade' 1/2" PVC pipe, which is thicker-walled than normal overflow pipe and has a much wider range of connectors available (3-way, 4-way, 'T', 45 deg, etc.). The motors are 2216 900kV running on 3S (I've used from 2700 up to 8000 mAh), props are APC 10x7. But anything that provides thrust should be fine They use reversing ESCs and mixing on the TX to do the steering - there are no servos or control linkages required. I oversized the ESCs to avoid any risk of overheating inside the sealed box - the motors pull 15A each on full throttle, and the ESCs are 60A ones. There are small strakes (shallow fins) cut from styrene sheet under the back of the floats to help it track straight. The CG position is important if you're going to run at speed - it needs to be just in front of the step on the floats. The other dimensions were all just done by eye and aren't critical. You obviously want the props to be clear of the water and inside the width of the floats (so they don't hit things) - I use a little up thrust on the motors to stop them pushing the nose (bows ) down.

Here's the FPV pod that goes on top (with Velcro) ... Runcam Split plus an 850 mAh 3S pack and a cooling fan to circulate the air I have a separate plain top for when I don't need the VTx. The clear 'window' on the front is cut from the cheapest action cam case I could find on eBay, stuck on with RTV silicone. I used watertight cable glands for the antenna (and the motor cables on the main box), but a blob of silicone would work:

Hope that helps - shout if you need any more info.
Jun 28, 2018, 07:38 AM
Bill,

That is genius! Thanks for sharing. You have given me some ideas about a project I've been dragging me feet on for a while now.
Jun 28, 2018, 08:30 AM
You're welcome. I fly on my own at this lake so really wanted a recovery vehicle, just in case of mishap. I should add that I have a carbon rod bar that fits between the front mounting points on the floats, to help 'catch' something that's low in the water. A piece of string would work too

Back on topic, that Hacker boat does look cute but the price seems a bit steep considering it doesn't include motor/prop/esc/servo./etc.? Compared to the HobbyKing Swamp Dawg, for example (although that is a little smaller).
Jun 28, 2018, 08:44 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
Boy, I sure like what you did. No servos! Nice
Seems like you'd have better control with 2 motors while pushing an airplane.

Steve C
Jun 28, 2018, 09:40 AM
Bill,

Where did you get the floats?
Jun 28, 2018, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
Bill,

Where did you get the floats?
HobbyKing.

The Bushmule ones aren't the cheapest, but they do have threaded alloy plates set into the top surface so are easy to attach with M3 bolts (I just made up U brackets as shown in the picture). One float has a servo well but I just filled that with foam and put white tape over it. The floats have a clear moulded plate covering the underside from the step forward, which is great for durability. The only thing to watch is that the floats are hollow, so check the join line between the top and bottom halves. I had a little water inside the floats after running it on rough water and found the seams were flexing apart slightly in a couple of places. Easily fixed with some foam glue.

I originally built it with pool noodle floats:

Air boat test 2 (0 min 56 sec)

As a pure recovery craft this would be absolutely fine. It's just limited on speed due to the drag and the amount of spray thrown back into the props. But you want to get to that downed plane fast, right?

I had the motor bar on pipe clips back then so I could vary the thrustline. When I switched to floats I was able to lower it and simplify the mounting.
Last edited by Bill Glover; Jun 28, 2018 at 11:12 AM.
Jun 28, 2018, 11:17 AM
RCG Admin
Bill! I made that a feature article. Just too cool https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...irplane-Floats
Jun 28, 2018, 11:40 AM
Pool floats! Great idea!

My plan is for something completely different than your recovery boat. I want to build a "research" boat that has a camera to look at things below the surface. It doesn't need to move very quickly - actually the slower the better. Also I wanted something with completely enclosed props. my original plan was to use rov thrusters but these are ridiculously expensive for a project like this.

my concept looks almost exactly like your boat - tupperware containers, pvc and all! But I never thought of mounting the props above the water like you did. that was pure genius!

Quick Reply