The Next Big Thing in RC

If you have been around the hobby long enough you know that every few years something new explodes on the scene. What is next?

Splash

What is next in our hobby?

Last week on the RCGroups live Youtube show I posed the question, "What do you think is the next big thing?" When I first started in the hobby park flyers had just taken off. I think it was due to more powerful and efficient motors. Lipos had just taken off, followed by outrunner motors. That was huge back then. Then 3D was the thing for a good long while. Then it was ducted jets.

The "Drone" Bubble

When multirotors hit the scene it was like nothing I had ever seen. It even got me excited about not only flying quads but also first-person-video. It seemed like everyone was jumping on the multirotor bandwagon. Just like park flyers, 3D and other big RC fads multirotors will never go away but I do think the peak has occurred.

FPV

For me flying FPV on wing craft is what I enjoy the most at this time. It's exciting to be in the goggles and it doesn't matter what size aircraft you are riding in. Breakthroughs in the FPV world make the experience more fun and cheaper.

What's Next?

I personally think it is time for the next big thing. Over the years I have had RC companies ask me what I thought it would be. My secret weapon was RCGroups. If you cruise around the forums enough you might get a sneak peek at what is coming down the line. I have to admit at this point I have no idea what it is.

Tell Us Your Thoughts

I thought I would reach out to everyone on RCG to find out what you think is the next big thing in RC. I can't wait to see that you all think!

Jun 25, 2018, 09:59 AM
Cloaking device
Jun 25, 2018, 10:00 AM
Arrowhead
3D printed planes. Not necessarily the home-printed ones that we are already seeing, but commercial, high quality kits/ARFs. Ultimately in “print on demand” format where the manufacturer only needs to warehouse filament and standardized hardware. The consumer goes online, picks a design and desired size, and it gets printed & shipped a short time later. Companies can maintain a wide “inventory” of planes without tying up capital & warehouse space, allowing for less common/popular planes to be available at minimal risk.
Jun 25, 2018, 10:06 AM
serial scratchbuilder
With good timing and the right spin and hype, it can be whatever you want. Personally I'd like to see a next-gen version of the boxed kit plane. Not 4-6 chunks of foam to glue but a box of materials: ply, carbon, foam, PPsheet, etc. that need to be skillfully assembled to produce a flying model.
Jun 25, 2018, 10:12 AM
Good sound systems at a reasonable price.

The sound systems will be closed-loop so that the prop noise doesn't work against the realism of the engine sounds, as it does today.

Andy
Jun 25, 2018, 10:24 AM
Arrowhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Good sound systems at a reasonable price.

The sound systems will be closed-loop so that the prop noise doesn't work against the realism of the engine sounds, as it does today.

Andy
I’d be down with that! Much as I love having scale engine sounds, I hate fiddling with them. If major manufacturers like HH included them in their planes, ready to go... awesome.

That said, I find existing sound systems disappointing when it comes to radial engine sounds. They just aren’t capable of replicating both the “normal” engine noise and that rumble/growl that comes from the exhaust.
Jun 25, 2018, 10:37 AM
Friends are always dissappointed in video quality so small reliable HD gear that can take an impact i guess - would really boost the hobby....I do tell them how lucky we are just to have what we have but it doesnt register.

With the quads im similar in opinion about the peak....before it was growing so fast your quad would be obsolete in 3/4 months but now it seems like u can fly ur quad thats built today for prob about 2-3 years without worrying about tech.......the only think that keeps pushing the peak further is the batteries (until we get to 12s like helos i guess) or tech requirements in multigp.
Jun 25, 2018, 10:57 AM
Gettin' back into flyin'
Perhaps batteries? LiPo batteries have been the standard for a long time with a little fudging on performance here and there. But they're so 'high maintenance' for people like me who leave them charged and sometimes carry them in the hot car. Would love to see a more solid-state, light-weight, high current battery that doesn't go bad.
Jun 25, 2018, 11:50 AM
I want a flying space ship, like on the first show of Enterprise.
Jun 25, 2018, 11:57 AM

Scale FPV

...at least I hope to see more.

Also Video with frequency hopping like our remotes and more affordable HD FPV options.

In Cockpit FPV Maule M7{Repaint} DVR Flight (9 min 51 sec)
Jun 25, 2018, 12:11 PM
I think the biggest benefit to the RC world would be much higher capacity batteries for the same weight as they are now.
If there's one thing that bugs me about all my models whether it be planes, helis, bikes or boats, it's that the run time is too short.
Jun 25, 2018, 12:35 PM
Rabid Rabbir
More variation of VTOL models. Also battery tech improvements
Jun 25, 2018, 01:06 PM
I would like to see standardization of safety features on all RC systems including "fail-safe", "model match" , throttle lock , timers, and on-screen motor battery voltage readout. Also think that standardization of transmitters and receivers to permit compatibility of many brands of receivers to work with many brands of transmitters would be great. Standardization of transmitter battery packs would be good as would standardization of speed controls. All speed controls should come with switch-mode BEC's and be able to handle up to 6S Lipos,
Jun 25, 2018, 01:11 PM
That's something you can make happen. Just don't buy anything but Spektrum products. Eventually there will only be one producer, and so only one standard.

Andy
Jun 25, 2018, 01:17 PM
Lifetime Member
I think the new game controller style transmitter is the new "Next Big Thing". The low cost, and familiar feel of these will bring more youth to the RC market.
https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/taranis-x-lite/

While I have been a Spektrum (DSM2) radio user for many years now, I am very tempted by the low cost, simplicity and flexibility of this TX.

Quick Reply