Jul 05, 2018, 07:07 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Thanks guys. Now that I know for sure about the flight capability, I'll add a couple of layers to the front of the shark on the plans. That should aid the cg and help hide the servos, battery, reciever, etc. , and make the nose more crash resistance. I think I'll make some wider prop covers and paint gills on them also.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2018, 02:29 PM
skumgummi dave
Excellent job Timbo! Way to go...

Dave-
Jul 05, 2018, 04:19 PM
Thanks Dave.
It just hit me that I should have added kfm to this for more lift and strength and then I will also be able to scoot the battery back a little giving it more protection.
Jul 05, 2018, 04:34 PM
skumgummi dave
Where did you find the top and side views of the shark?
Jul 05, 2018, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamdave
Where did you find the top and side views of the shark?
Someone had done a hammerhead a while back...my apologies to who, can't remember where I saw it...., so between that and looking online at sharks I came up with this. I did put it on a diet and kept the side profile thinish to hopefully get it to fly better and take some weight off the tail.
Jul 05, 2018, 05:09 PM
I made some pdf. plans and once I do some tweeking I'll post them if anybody is interested.
Jul 05, 2018, 07:57 PM
Updated plans with fuse doubler and KFM section and some other tweeks to it posted on first page....probably still not perfect, but it's what I'm capable of doing with my limited abilities and skills.
Jul 05, 2018, 11:43 PM
skumgummi dave
Thanks for the plan Timbo. Good job.

Dave-
Jul 06, 2018, 08:19 AM
Took sharknado out this morning before work with some added weight to the nose. Flew much better, but I think I'll add the kfm and extend the fins a little for better lift, maybe shrink the dorsal a little also....still thinking about that. I don't want to take away the shark look, that dorsal is what makes a shark.
Jul 06, 2018, 02:35 PM
skumgummi dave
Can't wait to see how you nod it Timbo.

Dave-
Jul 06, 2018, 03:54 PM
Another thought....if I add the kfm I can imbed in some small servos for ailerons, and maybe make the ailerons larger than what's on the plans and keep the throws at a minimum .
And also I need to go back and adjust the plans for inserting the KFM piece.

Edit: Changed plans with longer fins (WS), added kfm and smaller, more streamlined dorsal fin per Dave's reference pic.
Last edited by Timbo383; Jul 06, 2018 at 08:27 PM.
Jul 06, 2018, 04:36 PM
skumgummi dave
Timbo:

Found this online. Pretty cool reference pic.

Dave-
Jul 07, 2018, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
It swims nicely in the air.
Maybe its not really tail heavy. It looks to me like it needs to have its small wing at high alpha to generate lift.
Taking that info into account, added large ailerons to plans to be able to "flex" the fin angles....alpha, flaps ...not sure what to call it, I'm still a rookie at this plane talk. Still trying to keep this a simple build without having to add complicated (for me anyways) stuff like airfoils and such. I enjoy experimenting even tho I don't know what I'm doing most of the time.

Still trying to decide to just add on the adjustments to this plane or just build another with the updated plans....maybe make an eight footer shark . I do have some larger than DTF sheets of HK foam that I can use. That will increase the size about 20% bigger I think, I can then fly it on those days when the wind is not so forgiving.
Jul 07, 2018, 01:10 PM
skumgummi dave
Jul 10, 2018, 11:44 AM
Can you put a measurement on there for scale?

EDIT: nevermind, I see it is DTFB, so I assume you are using all of the 30" length
Last edited by ringo42; Jul 10, 2018 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply