Jun 24, 2018, 07:07 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Build Log

Sharknado...a simple profile design prop in slot shark plane

Here's another odd design plane that I'm gonna attempt to hopefully get it to fly. More in likely it'll be so tail heavy and wrongly made that it'll be all over the place like the sharks in sharknado....hence the title name.
It's not something new and I have looked at other's design and am incorporating much of their ideas into this.
I made a couple of test gliders and I think one of them will work at a larger size. Just gonna use a couple of DTF sheets to make a 34 incher to keep the cost down if it doesn't make it on the maiden and it ends up in the trash.
Going to be using just a split elevator and an full function tail rudder with available options for ailerons if that's not enough control.

Edit: Did some changes to plans, longer ws, and smaller dorsal fin, added kfm and fuse doublers.

Edit 2: added another change to plans, gave the shark a diet and turned the great white into....uh, I don't know, I guess a tiger shark.
Last edited by Timbo383; Jul 19, 2018 at 09:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2018, 06:40 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Cool !!!
Last edited by gpw; Jun 26, 2018 at 05:51 AM.
Jun 25, 2018, 08:22 AM
Got the three of the six total pieces glued together using my advanced alignment tool....couple of 2X8s and angle irons, looks like it's straight.
Added some cheap bamboo sticks imbeded into the foam on what I felt like key support areas...prop slot, tail, fin, and used a cf rod for the, um, wings.
Jun 25, 2018, 11:20 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Should build a flying surfer-dude next, give Bruce something to chase
Jun 25, 2018, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted
Should build a flying surfer-dude next, give Bruce something to chase
I have seen the surfer dude and want to build one. Always thought it would be cool to make a surfer girl with an oversized butt and make that the rudder, I think it would be funny with it wagging back in forth to direct it.
Jun 25, 2018, 08:08 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Make it the elevator and she could be "twerking".
Jun 25, 2018, 09:13 PM
Thanks, now I have to get that image out of my head.
Jun 25, 2018, 09:40 PM
Finished getting sharknado together and got some paint on it. Gonna be a shame having to install the electrics on it where it'll all be visible since it's just a profile plane. Thought about trying to make the body thicker and hiding everything but that'll take away the simplesty of the build, and I do need to keep everything as far up front as possible to balance the cg. The prop in slot design hinders some of the ability to do this but I really didn't want the motor and prop on the nose.
I think...if this flys....I'll try a edf unit on the next one, or two units...one on each side...and cover them with foam cup halves thus having more available area for wires, servos, esc, and such to hide. Come to think of it I do have some large fountain cups that I saved, I can cover the motor and prop with sections of them.
Jun 25, 2018, 09:46 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Don't for lazer-beams (mixing my metaphors)
Jun 26, 2018, 10:47 PM
When pigs fly rc
Looks great cant wait for maiden
Jun 27, 2018, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich
Looks great cant wait for maiden
Thankyou. Maidens usually scare me, but since this was a fairly simple and easy build, and just for fun, I won't cry if it fails.
Anyways, got it finished, now to wait for a calmish day to test it. I did cut the rims off a couple of foam cups and used them to cover the prop slots, looks better to me with them. Biggest problem with this design is everything needs to be thrown up front to balance the cg, otherwise I have to add a ton of lead weights to the nose. Now I wish that I had made two halves of the front fuse to hide everything.
Jul 04, 2018, 06:28 PM

It flys

Got the day off from work and had a calm enough morning today for the maiden. Just a little bit tail heavy, but sharknado passed it's test run. The flight proved that the cg is about where the motor is mounted, so that is good for not having to worry about the motor being a problem adjusting for that. A bigger battery or a fuller front fuse can take care of the cg.
It does mostly fly on motor tho, those little fin wings doesn't give it much lift.

Homemade RC shark plane maiden flight (2 min 45 sec)
Jul 04, 2018, 09:31 PM
When pigs fly rc
Nice job i loved it
Jul 05, 2018, 06:31 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
That’s Wonderful !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 05, 2018, 06:52 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
It swims nicely in the air.
Maybe its not really tail heavy. It looks to me like it needs to have its small wing at high alpha to generate lift.

Quick Reply