May 20, 2019, 11:28 AM

FLY FLY 3M Fox can ROG why not FMS 3M Fox

https://www.generalhobby.com/flyfly-...ion-p-485.html

Extend center wheel/and or swap screeching motor for a FLY FLY 5S system
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2019, 06:26 PM
The FlyFly uses a motor pod above the Fuselage/Wing.... not in the nose.
May 20, 2019, 06:28 PM
For balance/CofG..... whatever you need to do to make YOURS balance, is what you need to do.
It does not really matter what anyone else did, or says.
BUT... do make sure you are measuring it correctly!!

The Flaps do whatever the TX tells the servos to do.
In the TX you can usually set a "Slow" function so the servo moves from A to B slowly.
It doesn't really matter if it is fast (instant), or slow.....
May 20, 2019, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
The FlyFly uses a motor pod above the Fuselage/Wing.... not in the nose.
Peter, 55 seconds into the video link above shows the 11x7 prop spinning from the nose and not from a pod.
May 21, 2019, 12:21 AM
Oh... I didn't watch the video. But from FlyFly you only get a kit and have to buy their motor pod.

I found why... FlyFly have two versions. I had only seen the no motor one on their website. But there is a motor version in another area.
(Hobby88.com.. is FlyFly)

It is an 11" prop.
The FMS has a 15" prop.
Though I would think that 11" would still be risky to run from the ground.... but seemingly not by the video!
May 21, 2019, 12:45 AM
Oh, and FlyFly gliders are a bit lousy - poorly made. But you sort of get what you paid for (not much), so it is OK.
As long as you don't whack one into the ground (even a very heavy landing) they are OK.. but they can split the cheap 2K 'fiberglass' fuselage too easily.

My FlyFly DG-808 4m was about AUD$450 all made up. The FMS Fox is AUD$730, as a reference. The "4m" aspect is nothing more - just a bit more length of a very narrow chord wing versus the Fox 3M. So they are a very similar size/volume glider in total.
Maybe the FlyFly would be OK if you never whack it into the ground...... but one whack can ruin it.
$730 / $450 is a lot more, so whilst I would say the FMS Fox is a lot better glider, it also costs a LOT more too!
May 21, 2019, 01:23 AM
Dinosaur
FMS no longer post the Fox to Australia.
May 22, 2019, 01:41 AM
I'm very interested in the FMS Fox 3m, having a modified 2.3m version that I've been flying since 2013.

This is probably old hat, but has anyone figured out how to drive each of the 4 wing servos independently? Does it require soldering or is there a Y-harness or something similar that can easily be bypassed? I use lots of mixing for flaperons, crow, etc, and have no interest in driving a full-house wing with only 2 channels.
May 22, 2019, 07:11 AM
You can cut and resolder the wires to be isolated.
From memory they were paired into each connector, so I redid those.
May 22, 2019, 01:49 PM
Itís obvious that the designers and producers underestimated the potential of the FMS 3M Fox for trailing edge camber changes and for reducing windmilling prop drag.

Why would they recommend not activating the prop brake in the manual?
Why would they not have separate aileron ports on the fuselage control board?

Itís a big great looking design intended for pilots that do not know about (or value) power off glide performance.
May 22, 2019, 02:08 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Power off glide performance with a rearward bias CG is actually quite good considering.. I received the new motor (thanks motionrc and horizon hobby for reconsidering).. It's installed and three flights yesterday w/ no motor squeal so I may very well have had a bad motor. I'm still not convinced though and fear it might be a faulty ESC in which case I think I'll spring for a castle creations controller if the problem persists. The 15x8 aeronaut prop is working great, it appears the stock blades are on backorder everywhere.
May 23, 2019, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
You can cut and resolder the wires to be isolated.
From memory they were paired into each connector, so I redid those.
Good to hear, many thanks.
May 24, 2019, 09:06 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Update on my Fox glider if anyone cares, the replacement motor has flown 4 flights with no squeal or glitch so I'm fairly certain it was indeed a bad motor. That being said, there are no visual indications that the motor is bad and it turns smoothly and freely.
May 25, 2019, 05:37 AM
Then it should be the motor bullet soldering - bad/dry joint.
May 25, 2019, 10:06 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Those were inspected and looked fine. Short of re-soldering them I was at a loss as to what else to do so did nothing but new motor does not squeal at all, knock on wood. Maybe simply disconnecting the bullets and reconnecting the new motor improved contact. Dunno.

Quick Reply