This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 22, 2018, 10:28 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Upscale Scissor Wing Transport RC RG

Here is an upscale of an old Estes kit. The original was a free flight glider and so to keep it stable on boost it swung the wing parallel to the fuse to move the CP rearward, and used a pop pod with extra fins that ejected at apogee to release the wing and put the glide CG back where it needed to be. I thought about doing one for a while, and did several simulations with wing folded and without.

With the wing folded and with a pop pod yielded about 75 more feet in altidude and about 1.5 ounce lighter glide weight, but at the cost of having to find the pod, I fly at a field that does not allow ejection of hot material from rocket gliders and the field is surrounded by tall crops.

With the wing folded but not using a pop pod, you also move the CP back, but then would need to put in some roll onto the elevons to counter assymetric drag, and add in the swing/release mechanism and you need to use a faster burning motor to be self stable, this yields about the same boost/glide weight, but with an optimized CG placement for less up trim required for glide and a bit more altitude.

With the wing fixed and steering on the way up yields a slightly reduced altitude but not as much as you think due to the slower burn motor/reduced speed/drag and a slightly shorter glide at the benefit of simplicity. That's the route I chose.

It's a 2.1" diameter, 28" wingspan, 11.4 ounce rtf model with a 10.2 ounce glide weight and about 13 ounce/sq foot wing loading with a .79sq foot wing, it doesn't glide that bad given the small wing area. Wing is 6mm depron reinforced with a .125 carbon spar, as is the horizontal stab and it uses just elevons for roll/pitch control.

2x upscale scissor wing transport RC Rocket glider flights (7 min 5 sec)
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply