Dec 13, 2004, 05:30 PM
Thread OP

Multiple charger on one power supply. How?

I have a "big" power supply which works well. Except I have to reach behind & hook on my chargers everytime I switch chargers. Sometimes I will have 3 chargers running with the power lead clips hooked to each other. & right below the screws for 13 volts are two HUGE bolts for 5 volts @ 20 amps! I dont need to touch these or have a clip fall on to them.

So what I need it a good way to safely connect & disconnect chargers from this bad boy. I thought about a banana plug station. But I dont like the thought of cutting the power clips off. Any suggestions?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2004, 05:39 PM
Guys who race cars often use a big supply to power multiple chargers. The method to hook them up is up to you and depends on the supply output lug style.

One common thing is to use a solid heavy copper wire, like 2g ground wire attatched to the output. You can bend them up away however you need... and clip the charger leads to this "bus bar".

What I like to do is use some connectors like Sermos (andersons). Make up a connector for each charger. It's very neat and clean, and safe.

BTW, use some tape or something to insulate any unused outputs... if you don't want accidents.
Dec 13, 2004, 05:41 PM
EDF Head
Take two heavy gauge wire, say 2' long each and 2 pieces of 1' long copper tubing (1/2-1" diamater")

Screw the two tubes parallell onto a wooden board and connect one to the (+) terminal, the other to the (-). When you hook this baby up you have a 1' wide cobbergrid to connect your chargers onto.

Make the wooden board so that you cannot easily short out the two tubes.
Dec 13, 2004, 05:44 PM
If your chargers have alligator clips, don't be concerned about cutting them off and using a good conector. You can still use the clips. Just leave enough lead wire on the clips to install a connector on it. Then if you ever need to use alligator clips you can just reconnect them to the charger.

The heavy copper wire I reffered to is usually about 4 inches long or so and all bare... it only needs to be long enough to attatch several clips to it. Just make sure they are stiff and won't touch each other.
Dec 13, 2004, 05:59 PM
All my chargers have Anderson power poles on the input leads. You can homebrew a multi-port power pole connection for your power supply, or get a nice unit from West Mountain Radio.
http://westmountainradio.com/RIGrunner.htm
Dec 13, 2004, 06:34 PM
That's a cool site. They have some adapters just like I have always custom made. Those fused Anderson power block things are nice!
Dec 14, 2004, 02:45 AM
That's a funny word
How about using those huge bolts? rewire them to the 12 volt.

I just ordered my latest ps it is 12 volt and 20 amp. $65.00 I pd too much.
Jan 01, 2005, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. The big bolts are 5 volts 100 amps. Ouch!

How aboput this?

Quick Reply