Jun 21, 2018, 07:17 PM
Suppressed
Thread OP
Help!

desperate, Throttle failsafe setup

brand new setup on vector with a Taranis and ezuhf. i set my radio failsafe already with the throttle trimmed all the way down. then trimmed it back to center and started running the RC wizzard in the vector software but when it gets to the end is says the throttle failsafe settings are incorrect and must be at least 5% difference. im running PPM if that matters at all. I've tried everything i can think of. and im setting the throttle failsafe just like ezuhf says. "set controls where you want them and i trim the throttle all the way down then hold bind/failsafe button for 2 seconds till it beeps". Can someone please dumb this down for me what the hell am i doing wrong???????
Last edited by Metallicgraph; Jun 21, 2018 at 07:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2018, 07:54 AM
Hello,

PPM does not matter. For whatever reason the difference between your throttle off position and your failsafe throttle position is not enough. I know you said you set it correctly but I have no idea why the EZUHF is not putting out the correct failsafe position. If you can't get it figured out open a support ticket and provide your config file. But first, test without the long range system, using a normal RX. It is tough for us to troubleshoot issues like this with all the possible configurations with long range systems.

Regards, John
Jul 22, 2018, 01:32 PM
Having the same issue with Taranis and ezuhf using ppm. I am brand new to both ezuhf and vector, but I think I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

I can get to accept the throttle positions now, but in order to do so my throttle value on vector config is at 10% minimum and 100% max. Is this going to mean that with my throttle the whole way down, my motor will still be getting 10% power?

In order to get this far, I enabled extended limits and trims on the taranis. Then raised the lower limit until it read 10% in the gui. I could not get it to read a negative value, which is what I expected.
Last edited by 0higgins0; Jul 22, 2018 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Update
Jul 23, 2018, 09:21 AM
Hello,

If you are using the throttle position method for failsafe, you will need to trim your throttle all the way down, set failsafe for the throttle channel in your radio, trim your throttle back to normal and then re-run the RC Wizard. If you are using the mode switch method you will need to place the mode/submode switches in the RTH position and set those switch positions for the failsafe for those channels and then re-run the RX Wizard. See section "5.12.1 Configuring Failsafe Detection" in the manual for details.

Before relying on failsafe and return to home , you must be absolutely sure your failsafe is working correctly. The biggest cause of return to home not working is not having failsafe set correctly. You must understand how to set failsafe correctly in your radio. Many radios do not allow channels above the main 4 (aileron, elevator, throttle, rudder) to be set to failsafe. In this case you must use he throttle failsafe method. Be sure you test failsafe by connecting the Vector to the software (props OFF!) and turn off your TX. You must see the Vector report "In Failsafe Now YES" on the RC Configuration page when you power off your TX. If not, you do not have your failsafe set correctly. Testing RTH in the air with the mode switch does not indicate that your failsafe is set correctly.

If you can't get it figured out open a support ticket and provide your config file. But first, test without the long range system, using a normal RX. It is tough for us to troubleshoot issues like this with all the possible configurations with long range systems.

Regards, John
Sep 26, 2018, 09:33 PM
same problem as in post 1
Jan 02, 2019, 05:31 PM
I'm using EzUHF with a FrSky radio and decided to use a mode switch for failsafe. It just seemed easier than the throttle method. I can confirm the EzUHF will accept channels above 1-4 for failsafe, I've tested it on the bench and in the air.

To get this to work, I followed the instructions for EzUHF, making sure my mode switch was in my "RTH" position, and then held the bind button on the EzUHF TX module until it beeped.
Jan 04, 2019, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby_
I'm using EzUHF with a FrSky radio and decided to use a mode switch for failsafe. It just seemed easier than the throttle method. I can confirm the EzUHF will accept channels above 1-4 for failsafe, I've tested it on the bench and in the air.

To get this to work, I followed the instructions for EzUHF, making sure my mode switch was in my "RTH" position, and then held the bind button on the EzUHF TX module until it beeped.
+1. I did it just like Kirby. I was pulling my hair out trying the throttle setting. I tried all the trim tricks along with what the manual said and a thousands posts I read. In the end simply set the Vector to RTH on your mode/submode button and push the failsafe on the ezuhf until you hear the beep and PRESTO! Works like a charm on the bench. I unplug my ezuhf from my transmitter (or simply turn it off if you have the JR module) and it goes right to RTH. Way easier than driving yourself nuts trying to get that throttle setting to work. I never could either but with the ez failsafe set properly who needs it?
Jan 04, 2019, 06:15 AM
Hello
I do not know the EZUHF, but let me point out the fact that in ET VECTOR the RTH TEST mode / sub-mode is not the same as RX FAILSAFE ... I mean the RTH TEST works if you are connected .. RX FAILSAFE is used if you LOSE the link. Once again I do not know EZUHF, but I think it is better to be advised
Jan 04, 2019, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zemanel
Hello
I do not know the EZUHF, but let me point out the fact that in ET VECTOR the RTH TEST mode / sub-mode is not the same as RX FAILSAFE ... I mean the RTH TEST works if you are connected .. RX FAILSAFE is used if you LOSE the link. Once again I do not know EZUHF, but I think it is better to be advised
Agree, the setup we are using and advising is:
- Set RTH on a mode or submode switch
- Use the failsafe function of EzUHF so the RX will send the correct mode/submode positions when the RX detects a failsafe condition, like the TX link is lost.
Jan 04, 2019, 11:00 AM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
Also be sure that if you use the radio trims, you remember to incorporate the trims via the Vector OSD menu. If you don't incorporate trims (and the radio trims move the A, E, or R outputs outside of the deadband), and you failsafe (into RTH Test Mode per your failsafe settings), the Vector will think you've moved the sticks to cancel RTH Test and you'll no longer be in RTH Test mode.

Just something to be cautious of.
Jan 06, 2019, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rups63
Also be sure that if you use the radio trims, you remember to incorporate the trims via the Vector OSD menu. If you don't incorporate trims (and the radio trims move the A, E, or R outputs outside of the deadband), and you failsafe (into RTH Test Mode per your failsafe settings), the Vector will think you've moved the sticks to cancel RTH Test and you'll no longer be in RTH Test mode.

Just something to be cautious of.
Excellent advice and I hadn't thought of that, Rups63. Makes perfect sense but it never crossed my mind and that could be a disaster easily avoided. Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this. One increment of bump on the trim and it wiil failsafe trick the Vector into thinking you've moved the sticks, thus disengaging it. I'll be flying line of sight until I get my new carbon fiber tail Skywalker flying just how I want it and trims set up in the Vector.

For those of us who don't fly Taranis radios (I fly a beautiful JRXP9303 in mint condition I picked up on Ebay) the EZUHF failsafe works like a charm. I just like the feel and quality feel of the JR Transmitter.

zemanel, Well said as usual. However, if you set your mode/submode switch to RTH test on the switch, put the Tx in RTH test, then set the failsafe settings for this configuration, the failsafe on the EZUHF goes to those settings as soon as signal is lost and remains on RTH until I move the sticks. I may be wrong but I think it works the same way. When I unplug my EZUHF from the transmitter (I use the external box with clips and a separate lipo vel cro'd on the bottom for power), the display on my monitor reads RTH engaged and not "rth test engaged." But, the bench and actually flying are two totally separate things. I'll do plenty of testing and update what I find but you make a valid point as does Rupus63. This board has saved me a lot of crashes and lost planes over the last seven years.

Best to all.
Last edited by pat_masac; Jan 06, 2019 at 11:25 PM.

Quick Reply