Jun 21, 2018, 09:32 AM
more planes than brains
Thread OP
Discussion

North Korean fishing boat

Long story short, I found this little Chinese wooden boat kit on Ebay. It's 10" long and for static display. I bought one because it's cheap and when I got it I thought it would a fun challenge to RC it. After I started getting it together it started to resemble some of the ships that wash up from North Korea.

I have always held a fascination with ghost ships. They are sad and creepy. With the large number of ships from North Korea washing up with the crew deceased I wanted to go that route. The boats are in decrepit condition and that is kind of what I am going for. A quiet eerie looking boat.

I apologize for not having pictures until I was halfway into the build. I was not planning on doing a thread.

First I assymbled the "skeleton", the ribs and the keel. I put the deck in place to line up the ribs while the glue set. I then removed the deck and hollowed out the ribs with a dremel.

The drive line is just some brass tubing. It was tedious to get it mounted. I did it after the deck railings and 1st 2 boards were on the hull to give if strength while I was cutting.
Last edited by 60buick; Jun 21, 2018 at 03:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2018, 09:42 AM
more planes than brains
Thread OP
For the motor I am using a Hittec HS-225bb servo. I disassembled it and soldered a piece of brass tube over the gear and used some rc fuel line for a coupling to the shaft. I had to polish the shaft with some 1500 and rubbing compound to get it spinning smooth and free.

I started sealing all the wood with a flat clear dope. So now I was wondering if it would even work and wanted to know before I put a ton of work into it. Unfortunately it doesnt have a hull yet so I wrapped the boat in plastic wrap and set it in the sink to see if it would even float. It did and it felt stable.
Jun 21, 2018, 09:50 AM
more planes than brains
Thread OP
I had to pull the spectrum receiver out of the case to make it fit and am using a single cell 500mAh lipo. For the rudder servo I am using a Futaba S3114. I had to trim more bulkheads and get creative with where they fit.
Jun 21, 2018, 10:00 AM
more planes than brains
Thread OP
I weathered the cabin and stained the decks. I still have a long way to go but it is looking less like a toy everyday. The amount of detail I get to add will depend on if it floats. It's a very small boat. It looked so much bigger until I put the radio equipment in it. I would like to add lights but we will have to see how low she will sit in the water.

I still need to find a prop. I may scratch build one. People don't seem to like boats in my area so the hobby shops don't carry anything. More to come. I'm at the halfway mark and it had taken me a week to get it to this point. So far is a fun little project.
Last edited by 60buick; Jun 21, 2018 at 03:58 PM.
Jun 21, 2018, 10:08 AM
Jun 21, 2018, 10:36 AM
Good job of working in a tight space !

Obvious model airplane experience here ...
Jun 21, 2018, 02:48 PM
more planes than brains
Thread OP
Thank you. You nailed it. I have been flying for years. I do miss the built up stuff, people are spoiled on ARF's.

I scratch built a prop using the supplied wooden prop as a guide. The blades were cut from a copper washer. What a pain in the butt. You solder 2 blades on then when you go for the third, one of the other 2 always melts off.

The rudder was much easier. Just some brass tubing and brass sheet. The linkage is real fancy, a paper clip. The black stuff holding the rudder and prop shaft is just 6 minute epoxy.

It officially works. The prop spins and pushes water and the rudder moves. The million dollar question is will it float?
Jun 21, 2018, 03:22 PM
a very small servo for steering may free up some hull space,, moving the receiver up to the cabin could be an option.. having a boat you can gently set into the water with one hand is a plus on a day where much bigger stuff is all around.. looks like a fun project..
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...SON-circa-1898
Jun 21, 2018, 04:34 PM
more planes than brains
Thread OP
I'm looking forward to setting it in the water. That's a great looking boat you built there as well!

I would have liked smaller everything. The servo was the smallest the hobby shop carried. They called it a feather servo. It is about as big as a quarter. I'm not sure if the receiver would fit in the cabin. It might but I got it to fit down below which lowers the cg. I didn't realize how small this boat really was, I eyeballed it. It's just a tick over 9 and a half inches long and there is a lot of structure in the hull that eats space. I'm glad you included weights with your build. Your boat is happy at 186 grams but it is larger. I'm at 96 grams with all the gear in it and it shouldn't get much heavier. So I think I will be OK. This one has been a very fun project!
Jun 21, 2018, 11:11 PM
boat butcher
I like it .

Mark
Jun 22, 2018, 10:39 AM
more planes than brains
Thread OP
So I made a good bit of progress. I finished sheeting the hull with the little plywood strips that came with the kit. I sanded the hull down and stained it with a black wash. I sanded and distressed that then sealed it with 3 coats of sig model airplane dope. It is about the consistency of honey so it fills in all the cracks.

Then came the real test as to whether I wasted my time or not, a test in water. It floats and doesn't leak. I let it float for a good half hour and not a drop made it inside. It is very stable even though it rides a little high in the water. I can add more details and ballast if I get a little top heavy doing it. It has plenty of power and it's manuverable. About half throttle looks like a scale speed to me. This boat has very good manners and I find that a little surprising being that it is for static display.

So the next step is to make it look awful. I have been looking at pictures of some of the boats that are washing up in Japan. I noticed that the majority of them are wooden boats and they are painted in the same generic shade of blue. I am guessing such a poor nation doesn't leave a lot of color choices for fishermen. Blue, red and black seem to be the most common colors.
I started with a flat red oxide color and then distressed most of it back off. Then I added some blue followed by more red.
Jun 22, 2018, 10:42 AM
Cool subject and nice build.
Jun 22, 2018, 11:39 AM
That is a nifty little boat. Good job.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Jun 22, 2018, 02:01 PM
Good rusting ~
Jun 22, 2018, 02:20 PM
Me and a guy with a mustache
Shes looking good...I mean bad...I mean...oh I don't know what I mean...LoL

Quick Reply