Dec 13, 2004, 03:03 PM
Thread OP

Can you believe it? 1/5 Tire Warmers!

What can I say, it's -2 degrees Celcius outside, 09:00pm and I am going out for another drive with NL-CBR tonight........ luckily I can use my car heater to warm up my tires..... but for ultimate kicks you would need to order these!

You can get them from: http://www.rc-motorradshop.de
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2004, 03:17 PM
Looks pretty cool

I wonder what you would be able to use to power them "at the track" other than a car battery? Something nice and small to keep in a tool kit that you can plug them into would be nice! I'm sure they don't take much to heat up, anyway! What you reckon?

By the way - How can you browse to them on the site? I can't understand the site (Not too good with languages ) so can't really have a look at it at all.

Many Thanks

Dan.
Dec 13, 2004, 03:38 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
For touring cars, tire warmers are usually powered by a standard 7.2V stickpack -

Is it just me or are tire warmers for R/C bikes just for show?

At least in my neck of the woods I guess.

Ian

Dan - go to "Produkte" on the left tabs, then go to "Motorradmodelle"
Dec 13, 2004, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManBob
Looks pretty cool

I wonder what you would be able to use to power them "at the track" other than a car battery? Something nice and small to keep in a tool kit that you can plug them into would be nice! I'm sure they don't take much to heat up, anyway! What you reckon?

By the way - How can you browse to them on the site? I can't understand the site (Not too good with languages ) so can't really have a look at it at all.

Many Thanks

Dan.
The best would be to ask SUPASCHINNI , it's his shop.
He posted here :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306969

Short translation :
- Operating Voltage : 7.2V to 12V
- at 7.2V, after some minutes about 50C
- both same size
- variable Velcro fastener
- also possibe when tires are mounted, but front fender has to be removed
- alligator crimps

to navigate :
on homepage click "Produkte", then "Motorradmodelle", then "Thunder Tiger FM-1e (Yamaha R1)", as Ian said (because he also speeks german and posts on the german forum there)
there are also some CNR parts and some other interesting things.

Best Regards
Juergen
Dec 13, 2004, 03:44 PM
Hey,

Thanks That shop seems to sell loads of cool stuff! Now to find a good website translator out! Those descriptions mean nothing to me

Many Thanks

Dan.

EDIT - who needs a website translator when you have Juergen?
Dec 13, 2004, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
I have ordered some parts from him, they arrived quickly, service was friendly and helpfull!
Dec 13, 2004, 05:26 PM
I'm not totally useless..
Check out the rest of this parts, he has some very cool things.....
http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/graphi...oer/mbs-01.jpg
Dec 13, 2004, 06:06 PM
Hello to everyone,

Juergen has just sent me a PM on my own forum and told me about the discussion here.

To be honest, I haven't testet the tire warmers on the track yet, but I can say that they will heat up your tires to about 50C in a few minutes with 7,2 V (and I think it is wise not leave the room when you use them , especially at 12 V). I hope I'll get my chance to test 'em the next weeks, but my bike is (as usual) torn to pieces on my workbench.

Bye
Gregor

Oh, and if I will find some spare time (which after current calculations might be in the year 2028), there will be a translation on my site
Last edited by SUPASCHINNI; Dec 13, 2004 at 06:16 PM.
Dec 13, 2004, 08:23 PM
Based on my experience with real motorcycle tire warmers, I'd have to say R/C tire warmers (motorcycle) are about 90% show.

Real motorcycle tires have an optimum temperture. This depends on each manufacturer. Approximately 165 degrees is what you look for.

Is there such a thing as an optimal temperture for RC tires? I doubt it. They don't do that kind of R&D or the tires would cost more.

Tire warmers don't just heat the outside of the tire. It heats the air inside the tire and parts of the rim. This helps to keep the tires "warm" longer. Do these warmers do this too? Doubt it.

Also in the picture the tire warmer doesn't cover the edge of the tires. That is really where you "worry" about getting heat into your tires. Straight line traction is not usually an issue (when talking tire warmers), its when you lean it over and apply throttle. So, its the edges that you want to ensure are up to temp.

Also you need to know how much air pressure you are running in your tires. I doubt anyone really knows how well their tires sits on the bead. Any air leaks of any type would change the capability of the tire to maintain any type of temp.

Do tire warmers help in cold weather? Nope. What happens is that while your tires maybe warm, the surface you are running on is probably stone cold. The "track" will work like a heat sink, draining the heat from your tire.

The only situation that I can see they would help is if your bike is in a very cold room and the weather his warm outside. By bringing the temp of tires from the inside temp to the outside temp would make them stick better. But again since there isn't a real science in the RC tires, probably just letting them sit in the sun would do just as good a job.

In real racing, the tire warmers only help on about the first lap (on an average temp day). After that everyone's tires have come up to temp and the field is equal again.

Also remember you can overheat your tires (cook) which makes them slide more easily...

Again, I think tire warmers on RC is really just bling. But also based on my experience is about 90% mental so if you think that the warmers will help you and you do better they've also done their job
Last edited by ApriliaRacer; Dec 13, 2004 at 08:40 PM.
Dec 14, 2004, 02:49 AM
Well you may be right for our little bike tyres, but there most certainly is an optimum temperature for 1/5 car tyres. That's why they come in different compounds. Too hard a tyre for the conditions leaves you with no grip and too soft a tyre can start 'meltdown'. Having used tyre warmers on these tyres, I can say they work well, if a bit of a hassle to work with.
This will never happen with the GRP or PMT bike tyres, as it seems they have a very large operating temerature range, but even so, I have noticed with the nitro bike that it needs 3-4 laps to be able to get the rear tyre gripping well. More so on cooler days and after a ten minute bash the rear can get quite toasty! So I would like to try these warmers out, if they work, then I may have saved a few early highsides and a bit of grief!

John
Dec 14, 2004, 03:02 AM
I'm not totally useless..
Quote:
Again, I think tire warmers on RC is really just bling. But also based on my experience is about 90% mental so if you think that the warmers will help you and you do better they've also done their job
Have to agree with Nuoviac, I also race 5th scale cars (truck actually) and the use of tire warmers does help a lot! On colder days that is. When to weather gets colder (below 15C) you need at least 5 minutes to get heat is the tires and you barely get time before the start of the qual. Without warmers you have to build up speed very carefully if you don't want to spin of the track and end up in the grass which cools the tires again and you can start over. WITH warmers you only have to be a carefull the first 2 laps, after that you can hit the trottle to get them reaaly hot for the race

I like em!
Dec 14, 2004, 07:23 AM
Well, I learned something new today
Dec 14, 2004, 08:02 AM
STeve B in NC
Well I learned something too, about both full scale and small scale tire warming!
Dec 14, 2004, 11:30 AM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Yes, learned something here too -

it's too bad these tire warmers pictured don't cover up the whole sidewall. Isn't that what is most critical on motorcycles, considering they lean?

Ian
Dec 14, 2004, 02:12 PM
Ian,
I think if they get the tyres up to 50c (122F) the heat should spread well enough to the sidewalls!
Anyway, in all my races, the first few laps are usually taken with a bit more care than usual, it takes me a little time to get a feel for the amount of available grip, which in the UK can change dramaticaly throughout the day. I would imagine in a constant warm climate (California?) you wouldn't get these problems?

John

Quick Reply