RDRC Blast From the Past Vintage Fly-In - RCGroups Event Coverage - RC Groups

RDRC Blast From the Past Vintage Fly-In - RCGroups Event Coverage

This event takes you back to a simpler time in R/C.

Splash

ARF? BNF? PNP? Not here! These were built from a box of wood. #vintage

The 2nd annual Blast from the Past Vintage Fly-In just had another great event this past Saturday. Event CD and Vintage Radio Control Society ambassador, Herbby Alford reported 65 pilots from all as far away as Georgia came to enjoy what was a simpler time in R/C. A time when every plane at the field was built by hand, with not one exactly the same as another. A time when craftsmanship truly showed through the finish of the model. A time when a crash didn't mean ordering a new fuselage or wing and being back in the air in no-time-flat.

Despite the temps being in the 90's, the virtually non-existent winds kept these old birds happy in the air all day long. Planes of all shapes and sizes, including a nice array of control-line and free-flight models, dated back to the 60's and 70's...some even older. To be officially viable for vintage judging, the plane had to be from kit or plans dating before 1983. While some had been converted to modern electric power and 2.4ghz radios, the good ole' 72mHz pinboard saw plenty of action for once.

2 control line circles were carved in to the back of the field, and the buzzing of those little motors brought back memories by many present. A nice array of control-line models got airborne, and some very nice aerobatic flying was impressive to watch. After a group picture on the runway, Herbby designated some time for the free-flight models to get some airtime. One Cox powered plane made a few nice flights, and the rest of the rubber-band powered variety floated brilliantly in the calm air.

A few impartial judges walked the pits in search of a winner for 6 categories: Best Antique, Best Old Timer, Best Pioneer, Best Classic, Best Nostalgia and Best Control Line. In addition, all registered pilots were put in a drawing for an array of great prizes, including the grand prize of an RTF Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 complete with a new OS40 and JR 72mHz radio! The winners were chosen by a nitro-powered ball shuffler designed by Herbby himself. Long-time RDRC member Timothy Squires walked away with the Falcon, which happened to be the plane that he learned to fly on many years ago!

(Thanks to Jeremy Alford for getting me pics of the winners!)

This event is quickly growing traction, so get those planes out of the attic and plan on joining the fun next year at RDRC!

Last edited by Nikolei Zinsli; Jun 20, 2018 at 09:33 PM..
Jun 22, 2018, 07:48 AM
What, Me Worry?
Where, oh where, was this event held? I can't do as you urge and join in the fun next year if I don't know where the event is held. Telling me pilots came from as far away as Georgia leads me to believe that this event was not held in Georgia, but that is all!!
Jun 22, 2018, 09:19 AM
Kim
Hey,

Think this would get you there:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubdetails.aspx?club=733

https://www.facebook.com/groups/clubrdrc/about/

Also, is there a Winners List with the names of the pilots and their airplanes?

Thanks!!! Kim
Last edited by Cox PT-19; Jun 22, 2018 at 09:30 AM.
Jun 22, 2018, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cox PT-19
Also, is there a Winners List with the names of the pilots and their airplanes?
Scroll up - what you seek is already here. Plus photos!

Andy
Jun 22, 2018, 12:01 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Sorry guys, the event was held at the RDRC club in Raleigh, NC.

I didn't get a list of names of the winners, but there are pics of each with the winning entry at the end of the article. I can see if Herbby will get me the list of winners.

Finally, Jeremy and Herbby put together a video slideshow...enjoy!
Blast From The Past Vintage Fly In 2018 (5 min 23 sec)
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jun 22, 2018, 09:59 PM
Can anyone tell what airplane is at 3:45 of the video? Thanks

Charlie
Jun 22, 2018, 11:13 PM
Intermediate Multi
Looks a little like a VK Cherokee.
Jun 25, 2018, 09:34 PM
Culper Junior
Wow! Did that AJ Walker kit box ever bring back memories!
Jun 27, 2018, 02:26 AM
DFS#000178
This really, really makes me want to get my Twin Lizzy 2 built.
Jun 27, 2018, 08:20 AM
Brighto?
Congratulations to Herbby Alford and RDRC for putting together a great event. Looks like everyone had fun and the flying site is certainly an added plus.
Jun 27, 2018, 05:10 PM
And next year's dates are......???
Jun 28, 2018, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbu1
Where, oh where, was this event held? I can't do as you urge and join in the fun next year if I don't know where the event is held. Telling me pilots came from as far away as Georgia leads me to believe that this event was not held in Georgia, but that is all!!
Was wondering the same thing myself. The very first picture on the post shows name of field I guess it's Durham, North Carolina?
Jul 02, 2018, 07:49 PM
fix-n-fly
Great coverage! It was wonderful to see all those old planes!

Quick Reply