Jun 19, 2018, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Ikarus Race Hovercraft Craftair V1 ( 2008)

Hello to all fans of hovercraft,

I wake up after a long period of hibernation ...and forgive my faults, English is not my first language.

I start this new topic of an incredible German hovercraft aged of 10 years ,who, after modifications, deserves to be marketed again with drums and trumpets .

This is the Ikarus dragstair hovercraft V1.

I was able to buy one a while ago and I worked to make it more efficient with 2018 material.

For the story, the first version that I assembled came out of the box with brushed motors, a fragile old original canopy, and skirts that did not live long on the parking.
After several violent crash on a parking, I broke the canopy .... and destroyed the skirt.
I tried to contact Ikarus Germany, but after several months I never received any answer.
So I decided to re-manufacture everything.
 The canopies are thermoformed( in the kitchen) from Lexan plate 1 mm x 600 x 400 @ 195 ° C.
 I took some sewing lessons to make the ripstop nylon skirts 80g / mē, 1 side PU coated.
 The lift motor is an Emax rs1306 4000kv with a cut down HQprop 4 x4.5 to 3.5x4.5 + esc LittleBe 20amp.
The thrust motor is a Lethal Conception 2204 2666kv + esc LittleBe Summer 35amp + HQ prop 5x4x6 propeller, all powered by a 3s lipo 2200mah 75C.
The power is phenomenal ! more than 1kg thrust with 95km/h wind mesured behind the prop.
I added a gyroscope to have maximum control over the monster, because it goes fast ... very fast!so,I can easy control the drift.
The latest version is now FPV with the camera of my vortex 150.

Here are some pictures of this adventure, from the first version, to the last one I called 'Michel Vaillant' (for the comics experts .

I hope it will interest you and that Mr. Ikarus will read us! and produce an anniversary vintage version 2018

Once again, the design of this hovercraft stays 10 years later absolutely exceptional !!! WELL DONE
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2018, 10:13 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
WOW! Thats sexy!
Would love to see some footage showing how she turns and tracks with the gyro.
Jun 20, 2018, 12:03 AM
Thread OP
On this video you can see how it works. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ikmad
The gyro is a Skyrc GC301 for car, but is really perfect on this hovercraft.
Don't forget to set maximum gain on the gyro, and max D/R servo on you radio.
The other video's on dailymotion are without gyro, so as you can see...big drift.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6i7tzz
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6imrvj
I have to fight to pick up the radio from my daughter's hands

I will make new video with the last setup this week end.
Jun 24, 2018, 12:37 PM
Thread OP
Hello

Gyro set on high gain.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6mo1vd
Jun 29, 2018, 11:10 PM
Great job on the hovercraft. Looks and moves fast.
Jun 30, 2018, 01:59 AM
MHA webmaster
I have a Dragstair by Ikarus, which is the little brother of the Craftair, and is made of expanded foam as opposed to a hard shell. It too runs very well. My only complaint is that it's C of G is very high which means it tends to topple over on fast tight turns. It is also not so great on water. But as a land racer it is hard to beat!

Quick Reply