This thread is privately moderated by mwhidden, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 19, 2018, 09:08 AM
MA, USA
Thread OP
Build Log

Mark's Models Wanderer (1976 Balsa Glider Kit)

My daughter and I won the raffle at our local club meeting, and the prize was a 1976 Mark's Models Wanderer balsa glider kit. I've built a number of multirotors of all sizes and one FliteTest foamboard plane, but never anything of balsa, so this is a bit of a learning experience.

So far I've got the pre-cut ribs separated from their sheets and organized, and all the ribs for the inner part of the left wing glued between the leading and trailing edges.

Some of the ribs needed their spar notches deepened slightly to lay flush with the bottom of the wing. The inner 3 ribs threw me off until I realized that there is 1/16" balsa sheeting applied top and bottom, so these ribs are 1/16" shy of flush both top and bottom.

At this point I'm beginning to build the outer wing panel, which will be angled up (polyhedral) from the inner wing panel. I'm a bit nervous about getting all the angles right and how to get all the butt joints to meet tightly.
Last edited by mwhidden; Jun 25, 2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added captions.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply