What's Your Drone Feature Wishlist? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

What's Your Drone Feature Wishlist?

Drone technology has come a long way since the beginning, but there are great things on the horizon. Jump and share your thoughts on what you'd like to see in future drones.

Splash

What More Could You Want?

Drone technology has come a long way since the beginning. I remember having to buy Wii Motion Plus modules and gutting them for their accelerometers and soldering it on a board and using Arduino code to build out a flight controller. These were very basic and sometimes hard to tune. All you had was rate mode and auto-level and we were happy with that at the time. Fast forward to today and it's simply stunning to see all the technology and features we have available. Reflecting on this leads me to the question, what more could I want? I'll put my thoughts down here, but I also want to here from our RCGroups members to see what features you feel are missing from todays drones.

First off for me, is battery technology. I was around when Lipos first came on the scene and they drastically changed how electric aircraft performed. It's nice to see drones getting 20+ minutes of flight time, but I'm ready for the next huge leap in battery tech where we are looking at multi-hour long flights on a single charge.

Smarter drones is something I want to see as well and this is already happening. We have drones with obstacle avoidance sensors which started with just looking out of the front of the drone. Now they can see nearly all around and stop or go around obstacles in the flight path. It's a great first step, but it's not perfect and we still see people crashing into things all the time despite the technology. I want to see drones that are virtually crash proof, even if the pilot does something stupid.

I'd also like to see a better FPV system on drones. The HD downlink on systems like Yuneec and DJI work pretty great, but there is still a slight lag from real time. It's most noticable for me on the DJI Inspire 2. It has a dual feed system and the FPV pilot camera view is lower resolution and has enough lag to make it difficult to fly in close proximity to objects using the video feed. There are often shots where this is required and a better real-time video feed would make a huge difference. I'm sure this is coming too, it's only a matter of time.

So those are my top 3 drone feature wishlist items. I'm sure there are more ideas out there and things I can't even imagine yet, so go ahead and hit the reply button below and share your wishlist items.

Jun 19, 2018, 08:56 AM
1. Positive acceptance by the general public.
2. Freedom to operate without onerous regulation.
Jun 19, 2018, 09:53 AM
1. No geofencing except as required by law.
2. No data sent to China.
3. Waterproof and floating drone.
4. Durable gimbal.
Jun 19, 2018, 10:10 AM
Privacy...no need to supply private data to unlock features.

Id like to reel of a bunch of software stuff...but software is easy-peezy...think up anything -code it...big deal....
(like maybe an auto-boat feature so has special return to home functions on boats as the boat would have drifted or moved over time...e.g doesnt totally ignore remote when returning to home)

good hardware on the other hand is tougher.
Jun 19, 2018, 10:50 AM
Today's drones are so sophisticated and impressive with their technology that it's hard to think of many substantial ways in which they can be improved. I'm already pretty satisfied with what we have.

As noted above, perhaps some of the legislation around their use can be improved. It really sucks that national parks in North America and my state of South Australia have banned the use of drones. There's some great potential there for aerial photography. Maybe some natural wilderness areas could be set aside for drone use. Or perhaps a roster system where different activities could be conducted in the same area but at different times to minimise individuals / groups of people disturbing each other. That way, drone operators, bush walkers, mountain bikers etc could each get their slice of the action without impacting on each others' enjoyment. Crazy idea but it might possibly work.

"There are often shots where this is required and a better real-time video feed would make a huge difference. I'm sure this is coming too, it's only a matter of time."

It's already here - analogue video! But yea I know what you mean - having a seperate analogue camera for FPV would result in a slightly different composition to the main camera for subjects at close quarters. Perhaps more cameras should come equipped with separate feeds for analogue video.
Jun 19, 2018, 01:13 PM
Everything we have now, but in a sub 250gm package so it’s exempt from the drone rules in the UK.
Jun 19, 2018, 02:58 PM
s1m
s1m
Whatever the DJI Mavic Pro already is plus ...

1. 3D 360 colision avoidance.
2. Lightweight.
3. Rain proof.
4. Better camera.
Jun 19, 2018, 04:31 PM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The top item on my wishlist for drones stems from the FPV racing/freestyle perspective. I want a truly high quality video feed. The grainy, analog video that we run is really terrible. Something that can offer a high definition, but low latency suitable enough for FPV racing would be a major game changer.
Jun 19, 2018, 08:21 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
1. Heavy cannon

2. Claw mechanism

3. Some sort of reactor
Latest blog entry: My feet smell funny
Jun 20, 2018, 07:59 AM
Now its going down the rabbit hole......i want jetpack, ...jetpack...jetpack!
Jun 20, 2018, 04:38 PM
All these features are cool but the problem is the easier they are to fly the dumber the people are that fly them and that's why we have all these laws-rules. What I want is some testing to be done before purchase and then fly where you want to, but use your head. I build my own not a DJI fan.
Jun 21, 2018, 01:03 AM
howdy
higher density batteries!
Jun 21, 2018, 01:38 AM
A drone that can fly to the depths of an active volcano and return unscathed. Oh and waterproof too.
Jun 21, 2018, 06:17 PM
howdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade
A drone that can fly to the depths of an active volcano and return unscathed. Oh and waterproof too.
probably easier to achieve than higher capacity batteries lol

Quick Reply