Guardian - Emergency Recovery - RC Groups
Jun 18, 2018, 07:54 PM
Question

Guardian - Emergency Recovery

I am putting an Eagle Tree Guardian into a fixed-wing FPV plane. If I get disoriented I would like to be able to press a "panic" or "recovery" or "emergency" switch. Here's what it says in the Introduction section of the Guardian manual: "This lets you configure the Guardian to return to level flight in an emergency, by just flipping a radio switch!"

However, how to do this is never discussed in the manual, nor does there appear to be a way to assign like the Trainer button (DX8) to a recovery function.

Is there any way to have an emergency recovery with the Guardian?

Also...

A mode called "2D Heading Hold Submode" is discussed in the manual, but nothing about how it is deployed/controlled. I want to have it on. I want the FPV plane to be as self-piloting as possible (without having to use a Flight Controller). I would like to do turns with altitude hold, etc.

Thanks for whatever info/help you can provide!
Last edited by royp; Jun 19, 2018 at 01:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2018, 10:55 PM
The Guardian has a mode input, usually connected to a channel controlled by a 3 position switch. With the newest software and firmware, that input can select any 3 of 5 modes: 2D, 2DHH, 3D, 3DHH, and OFF. To use either 2D mode, you would set the program to have at least one of those switch positions in the Guardian to the desired mode, and program your transmitter to use a switch to command the channel used for the mode input. Both 2D modes will drive the model to the learned level position; HH just tries to maintain the current direction by controlling the ailerons to counter any yaw.

Look for posts by a user named choochoo; he has a beginner's guide to help you with initial setup.
Jun 19, 2018, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info. The choice of 5 options is not in the latest manual I downloaded. I will give that a try. I'm already using a 3-position mode switch on my TX labeled "gyro", and have altered it to 0=off, 1=2D, 2=3D. I will never use 3D, so can make that 2DHH.

I will call Eagle Tree about the statement in the manual that you can assign a switch to emergency recovery.

Thanks again.
Jun 19, 2018, 02:38 PM
I received the following response from an Eagle Tree support ticket:

Simply switching to 2d mode is the way to return to level flight in an emergency. Or, if you are already in 2d mode, you just let go of the sticks so they go back to center and the craft will return to level.

Quick Reply