Dec 13, 2004, 12:56 AM
Thread OP
New Product

SHUTTERbug: New R/C Camera Switch for Commercial A/P

Updates:
Mar-26-2007: ShutterBug Pro now available. Details, including user manual, are located here: {Click Me!}
Feb-25-2007: New design (ShutterBug Pro) will be released soon. Perhaps the end of March or early April.
Sep-24-2006: ShutterBug (old version) Sold Out. Sorry, but I don't have any more.
Jan-03-2005: ShutterBug Instructions now online. Click for Installation Instructions

__________________________________________________ __

Original Dec-12-2004 post announcing ShutterBug "classic." This version is no longer available. Please see the Mar-26-2007 update above.

I have a new R/C camera switch that is optimized for commercial A/P. It is called SHUTTERbug and it has some unique features that may interest some of you. I am trying to convince myself to offer it ready-to-use. I'm here to see if anyone cares.

Unlike most of the R/C camera switches, this one supports using a servo. The servo travel positions, including the pre-focus, and the keep awake function, are manage by it. For those that want to use the hardwired approach, it has fully optoisolated switch contacts for both the focus and shutter functions. The optoisolation allows for full compatibility to fussy cameras and is the ultimate in camera circuitry protection too.

The controller plugs in between the Rx and the servo. It will support spring return sticks or Aux/Gear Switch based channels. It could even be shared with the model's throttle servo. It can be setup to snap one photo at a time, or it can enter a auto-repeat mode and take a photo every three seconds (until the stick/switch is released). It can even be used without an R/C system to take photos at nearly any interval you want (up to 10 minutes per photo).

When a snapshot is commanded, the servo will use a single stage or two stage method. For two stage, the servo is moved to the pre-focus half press, waits two seconds, then advances to the full press shutter position for an additional second. The servo positions are user programmable and can be set to where you need them to go. The single stage method just moves to the full press mode and holds it for three seconds. The servo returns to an idle position after each shot, even if the Tx stick/switch is held.

The keep-awake time can be disabled. It is programmable in 10 second steps, up to 10 minutes. If the camera is idle past the programmable threshold time, the servo is moved to the pre-focus step only (or full press if single step operation is used) for two seconds. This will keep the camera awake.

I estimate that I would be able to offer it for about $35. Is this something that would interest anyone?

RC-CAM
Last edited by Mr.RC-CAM; Apr 05, 2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Updates.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2004, 01:12 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
I like the idea of the two stager and would probably only be interested in ready to use.
Dec 13, 2004, 01:14 AM
Did You Hear That?
That's a pretty cool idea!... I'd like to try one... January would be good as well - money is already spent for the holidays...

Kevin
Dec 13, 2004, 01:55 AM
Co-Pilot Jay
Very interested. Ready to use only. Some of use are pilots, some of us are electrically inclined. Please keep informed.
Dec 13, 2004, 02:50 AM
err...see where it went?
i 'll take one off your hands if its "ready to use"
Dec 13, 2004, 02:59 AM
Balsa Abuser
Rc-Cam
is it still using a 12c508/9 or one of the other types of pics?
Also would you consider releasing the hex file/circuit for those of us that have programmers/electronics knowledge.

Trikky
Dec 13, 2004, 04:39 AM
Restful User
Sounds like a winner, per usual.

In my baby book, Mama had the entry at 18 mos that "Billie like to putter and take things apart" and that tradition has continued for 50+ years.

Athough I'd like a DIY model, the ready-to-use device would be a workable concept. Put me down as interested.

--Bill
Dec 13, 2004, 08:04 AM
Registered Rotor Abuser
Looks like a good option for the 3700.... put me on the list for jan,

joe
Dec 13, 2004, 11:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Is it still using a 12c508/9 or one of the other types of pics?
Also would you consider releasing the hex file/circuit ...
It uses a Flash PIC. I do not have plans to release the hex file on this one. I might offer a kit, but no promises on that idea. Frankly, I am worn out over all the emails I get from folks that ask for ready-to-use versions of my designs. So, I decided to cut to the chase on this project.

RC-CAM
Dec 13, 2004, 12:30 PM
Trying to defy gravity...
Hey, I like the pre-focus idea...put me in for one.

Jimsky
Dec 13, 2004, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
I'll order the parts this week. Should be ready early January.

BTW, is there anyone out there that has a digital A/P camera that takes more than 2-seconds to perform the focus step? To keep the user setup as simple as possible, I am going to use a fixed focus time. I can make it any time period, but prefer to keep it as short as possible.

RC-CAM
Dec 13, 2004, 03:20 PM
RCGroups Author
I think I'd be interested in one as well, just have to check into how I'd integrate it with the camera I'm ordering (Canon S70).
Dec 13, 2004, 07:25 PM
Beam me up Scotty
I am missing something here, I don't really understand the operation of your switch and servo combination. Does the switch control a servo and then the servo mechanically trips the focus and the shutter button?

Joe
Dec 13, 2004, 07:41 PM
What cameras will this work with?
Dec 13, 2004, 07:41 PM
I'll order one from you when you are ready.

Quick Reply