Toothpicks and nails to reinforce foam structure - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 14, 2018, 07:42 AM
Mini-HowTo

Toothpicks and nails to reinforce foam structure

My flying buddy is rough on his Maule and surprisingly she is more rugged than compared to his Timber. Of course the Timber does not have struts because Timber has a full length spar. The Maule has a partial spar that is 46 CM long.

I installed a full length plywood spar in my Maule to reduce downward deflection upon touchdown and I have no stress cracks even without struts. I can add struts for maximum strength for dropped in full impact landings but my floats and wheels are not designed for that.

When my buddy had a seperated strut mount I used Kicker on the foam and Locktite Prof. CA on the plastic. I used Monocote backing to keep my fingers from getting glued and to feel the exothermic heat. I the used a drill the same diameter of 4 round toothpicks and drilled 4 holes in the plastic. I used CA on the toothpicks and pushed them in about 1.5 inches. Small aluminum white nails would be better because of the nail head. See pics:
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply