Jun 13, 2018, 08:37 AM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
Discussion

Arrma 1/10 Kraton / Outcast BLX 4s?

Looks like Tower let the cat out of the bag... If you do a search on Arrma BLX 4s, you get this -

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...H=Arrma+BLX+4s

Upgraded parts for the Mega 4x4 platform, that are labeled as Kraton/Outcast BLX 4s. Looks like the metal diff input / diff ring gear we have been wanting, plus an upgraded slipper, gear reduction for the slipper, metal "sliding motor" style motor mount, and the Kraton / Outcast tires redone in 14mm hex 1/10 scale size.

Also interesting they upgraded the c-hubs and rear axle carrier, I didn't hear of anyone breaking those. But I don't see upgraded spring perch, some people are breaking those a lot.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2018, 12:57 PM
Sweet!! I might have to get the Mega 4x4 MT, with the upgrades it would be a Stampede 4x4 competitor for less money
Jun 13, 2018, 02:26 PM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
Depending on the price, I'd say get the BLX4s version. Once you add a strong 550-size brushless motor to the Mega (In Arrma-speak, Mega = Brushed motor), you start having issues with the diff input and the slipper. Yes, you can mod them to hold, but...

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say the BLX4s trucks will have a street price of $399. (Mega 4x4 is $270?)which would put them at the same price point as the Losi Tenacity line. I would like to see them come in at closer to $350, to get closer to the DHK / Cheetah trucks, but I don't see the BLX4s being less than a $100 upgrade. Those CVD axles are selling for $50 a pair by themselves. ESC / Motor, I'll guess will be a rebranded MAX10SCT with a 3660 motor around 2500kv-2800kv.
Jun 13, 2018, 04:29 PM
Ah, I was confused what you meant there. I thought that they were going to just have upgrade parts for the Mega 4x4 line, and Tower just had them labeled incorrectly or something.

But you are saying they are releasing a new brushless version of the Mega 4x4 series and calling it the BLX4s? Or a new 1/10 brushless platform not related to the Mega series?

If they can keep them at or under $350 they will be a good seller I bet. The $400 mark would put it close to a 1/8 Arrma price. I would rather spend a little more and get the 1/8, especially if these trucks are going to be 4s.......

I also wonder if they are indeed 4s trucks what the thought process was on that. Not sure how many people have 4s packs that fit a 1/10 scale. Seems having a single 2s/3s truck would be more inline with the competition. Or 2 2s packs (more common size) but not sure that would fit well in a 1/10 truck and perform well.
Jun 13, 2018, 05:17 PM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
I am assuming a bit (and you know what they say about that... ) But I think from the first moment the new Mega 4x4 platform was release, everyone was expecting a brushless version - or in Arrma-speak, a BLX. I think the supprise here is that (once again) they are re-using old established names (Kraton / Outcast) vs coming up with new names. It might have made sense to call it a Granite 4x4 BLX 4s, but to pull the KRaton / Outcast name? I don't get it.

As for the price point - when the Mega 4x4 was released at $270, I was expecting a future BLX2s/3s to come in at $350. But seeing all the 'upgrade' parts they added, and that they went for 4s motor/ESC, I can't see that price holding. $399 seems more realistic.

And I agree with it coming very close to the BLX6s prices. Maybe this is also a signal that the Kraton price will go up. It has been holding at $499 since release 3 or 4 years ago. The price on the Typhon, Senton, and Talion have all been creeping up...

Edit - I run 4s in my Granite Mega with a BLX185 power system. The battery fits just fine. I did need longer battery straps. As for the Arrma thought process, I bet it was as simple as " MOAR POWER!!1!" LOL
Last edited by JerryRigged; Jun 13, 2018 at 05:23 PM.
Jul 28, 2018, 08:22 AM
I know I'm bringing back an old thread, but now that we know the Granite and Senton BLX 3S vehicles are coming at a $299 price point, do you think 4S vehicles are still coming (like the Kraton) and probably at $399?
Jul 30, 2018, 08:33 AM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
I am still hoping for the BLX4s trucks, but the original availability date was now, and we got the BLX3s trucks. Will Arrma release a BLX4s line? Hard to say, at this point. With the BLX3 trucks, having a BLX4 is kind of a "what is the point" move.

As far as pricing (if it happens) - the Mega has moved down to $230 - very competitive at that price. The BLX3s trucks are $299 - again very aggressively competitive. I still think $399 makes sense, but could see it a bit lower, maybe $350-$380, just to undercut the Tenacity trucks and the Traxxas trucks. Over $400 still won't work, as it will start battling against the BLX6s trucks (unless they get a price hike).

Also, looking over the parts lists for the new BLX3s truck EVERY PART I have broken or modded with my 1/8 powered Granite has been upgraded in the BLX3s - including the diff. Yes, it is still plastic, but the ring and pinion are a new design. Internals are the same (they didn't break).
Jul 30, 2018, 11:25 AM
That makes perfect sense.

I was surprised because when the Granite BLX3 first showed up on Tower, the page listed a BLX120 esc/motor combo in the text above the pictures, and also mentions using a 4S or two 2S LiPos. I bet they inadvertently listed details for a 4S truck, but they quickly removed it a day or two later.

I originally was going to wait a bit to see if the BLX4s got announced, but frankly the Granite seems like such a good deal (especially if you compare it to the Stampede 4x4 VXL) that I had to preorder.
Jul 30, 2018, 11:24 PM
I just saw the preorder as well. I haven't bought a brand new truck in several years because I like saving some money and buying used but...

$299 for a 3s, 4x4 monster truck is a heck of a price for a brand new truck. If it is as durable as I hear the 1/8 6s trucks are, the stampede 4x4 is going to have some BIG time competition. The stampede is $100 more to boot.

Once they are in stock and on Horizons eBay store the 20% off coupon eBay does every now and then will bring it down to $240...same as the brushed trucks.

If I have cash and they are in stock on eBay then I will probably just have to get one
Jul 31, 2018, 09:00 AM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
Yeah, if you can pick one up for $240, that is a steal!
Jul 31, 2018, 11:46 AM
Oh yes. It really would be.

Can't wait for some reviews to come out comparing them to the Slash/Stampede 4x4, which I assume are the primary competitors.
Jul 31, 2018, 12:42 PM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
Yeah, but if someone does, we'll never see it. Traxxas will get the video banned... LOL
Jul 31, 2018, 01:19 PM
LOL

I think they just banned the video about the baby Smaxx on RCSaylors channel because it was a clone truck.

But I do hope someone does a comparison video
Jul 31, 2018, 02:10 PM
I would like to see a comparison video as well but with both using the same tires, esc/motor, close as possible gear ratio (pinion/spur) and battery. The speed out the box can be found out easily but have a comparison where both have the same tires and esc/motor then see which one performs better giving each one the same chance for performance. So slap the VXL in the Arrma and slap the BLX in the Traxxas and lets see what both could do. This is mainly a comparison of the two systems but the parts for each (Arrma and Traxxas) are already known.
Jul 31, 2018, 02:17 PM
Have you seen my LVC?
Thread OP
To me, the biggest difference would be the 'Pede is high COG, and the Granite is low COG. Do you want handling, or ground clearance?

Well, that is one difference, along with the driveline reliability difference...

And parts support...

Quick Reply