This thread is privately moderated by jameschen072, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 12, 2018, 11:12 PM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Volantex Ranger 600 Review- the perfect trainer/parkflyer?

Volantex Ranger 600 review

Introduction
If there is one thing I enjoy more than flying planes, it’s sharing the experience. I’ve recently developed the habit of always having a trainer aircraft in my car, so that those who were interested could get a taste of what R/C flying is all about. Recently, the Ranger 600 has been my go-to trainer, it has taught about a dozen club members how to fly and we eventually purchased 12 of these fun little trainers so we could mess around with them at the field.
So, this review would be a little different to my usual ones- here’s a plane that I’m quite familiar with already, instead of something completely brand new. I’ll tell you what I love about it, what wears out and what my comments to the factory were in terms of what needs to be changed in the future.
As my Ranger 600 has been put through more abuse than any trainer really should, Volantex has been nice enough to provide me with a brand-new unit to do the unboxing and flight review with. I appreciate their support of my always unbiased reviews.

Design and specs
The Ranger 600 is a 600mm wingspan EPP high-wing trainer with an 8620 coreless motor driving a pusher-prop above the wing. The all-in-one unit smartly integrates the receiver, esc, and even two 2 gram servos- which are connected to the rudder and elevator surfaces. An integrated 3 axis gyro+3 axis accelerometer system provides electronic stabilization, the gyro could be either turned off completely or set to two angle limits (beginner/intermediate) via the right shoulder toggle on the 2.4GHz transmitter.
Although the stock battery capacity is 360mAh, the aircraft would fly with anything from a 1S 300mAh to a 1S 450mAh pack without upsetting the center of gravity too significantly- requiring at most a click or two of trim in flight.
Despite having cutouts for ailerons, the R600 does not have functional ailerons- not that it needs them anyways since the rudders have more than enough roll authority given the dihedrals in the wing design.
Unfortunately, all the electronics are soldered onto the main board and the wing itself is glued onto the fuselage- making the R600 very difficult to service and requires extra care while transported.

The transmitter
Despite being an extremely basic unit, the stock transmitter is surprisingly good in terms of stick feel, radio range, and functionality. The 2.4GHz unit does automatic pairing whenever it's turned on, so it's important that there are no R600's nearby during the pairing process. Once pairing is completed, the red status LED will blink once and the buzzer will send an audible signal- telling the user that the pairing process is complete.
In terms of range, the R600 could be flown until it's almost invisible to the naked eye and it'll still have range- which I estimate to be around 150m.

On the right shoulder, there is a toggle that toggles the gyro between beginner, intermediate and expert modes.

From the hangar
Apart from the 4x “AA” batteries that power the transmitter, the Ranger 600 comes complete with everything necessary to take flight.
1x 2.4GHz 4 channel radio (3 channel used- Rudder/ Elevator and throttle)
1x 3.7V (1S) 360mAh Lipo with micro-Losi type plug
1x USB charger
1x Spare propeller
1x Instruction manual

Flight characteristics
The Ranger 600 has three flight modes linked to a toggle on the right shoulder of the included transmitter, these are curiously labeled beginner/midd (which I’ll refer to as intermediate)/expert, the functionality of which are explained below.
Beginner mode- This mode turns the gyro and accelerometers on while significantly limiting the bank and pitch angles; great for calm weather and just flying around in large wide patterns. Designed for absolute beginners, the significantly reduced flight envelope can work against the pilot in anything other than calm weather conditions.
Midd/Intermediate mode- This is the flight mode in which I do most of my flying- the gyro and accelerometers significantly reduce the workload of the pilot while still retaining a decent flight envelope. By giving exaggerated stick inputs the aircraft would unwillingly loop; otherwise, it does all it can to prevent itself from ending up inverted.
Expert mode- This mode turns off the gyros and the user has full control over the aircraft. The R600 can perform mild aerobatics (loops with a slight nose dive at the beginning, slow rolls, VERY labored inverted flight and a fun inverted spiral). A few clicks of trim may be needed when switching the gyros off, so be prepared for that- but all in all, it’s all the airframe is quite inherently stable and won’t do anything to catch the pilot off guard.

Conclusion
The Ranger 600 is a fantastic way of getting a taste of R/C flying without having to break the bank; its well-designed airframe pairs well with the stabilization system, which performs fantastically.
Like other products on the market though, the R600 is not without its faults- the glued on wings and soldered components mean that servicing the aircraft requires a steady hand and a bit of patience. The paint also rubs off quite easily- especially with high-contact areas such as the canopy.
All things considered, the R600 is great for the absolute beginner or for those who want a portable parkflyer for impromptu flights just about anywhere- it’s got just enough of everything- power, maneuverability etc., to make it fun even for seasoned pilots.
Special thanks goes to Volantex for providing the sample, and for their understanding and support of my unbiased reviews. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions- please feel free to let me know in the comments below.

Pros & Cons

Pros
+ Sailplane-inspired design with great glide-ratio
+ Well-tuned gyro stabilization system
+ Common lipo batteries (similar to those used on micro quads)
+ Safe Pusher-prop design
+ Great value for money

Cons
- Paint rubs off very easily
- Hard to maintain- glued wings & soldered motor
- Glued wings increase shipping costs and require care in day-to-day transportation

Video
Full video review
The Volantex Ranger 600 review- the perfect trainer/parkflyer? (11 min 6 sec)

Flight video only
The Volantex Ranger 600 flight video (1 min 41 sec)

Purchase links
Banggood

Last edited by jameschen072; Jun 13, 2018 at 09:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2018, 09:05 PM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Are the pictures showing up correctly for everyone?
Jun 15, 2018, 03:37 AM
Pictures displaying fine.
Jun 16, 2018, 01:29 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderglider
Pictures displaying fine.
Thanks gliderglider, hope you’ve enjoyed the review!
Sep 16, 2018, 06:24 AM
Teenage Flyer
Looks like a cool little plane! what sort of flight times do you get on it?
Sep 17, 2018, 06:13 AM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NELICOPTER
Looks like a cool little plane! what sort of flight times do you get on it?
Thanks Nelicopter, I get about 12 minutes power on time, could probably get a bit more with good throttle management.
If you've a power bank and one of those 5 port lipo chargers, then you could fly pretty much indefinitely
Oct 25, 2018, 03:58 AM
Teenage Flyer
Thanks again for this James, I'm just about to recommend this plane to a guy I met looking to get into flying near down the road.
Also for a shameless plug, check out my 3.7m scratch-build compact-able F5J electric motor glider here :P https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Scratch-Build
It breaks apart into multiple 80cm parts for easy transport.
Jan 15, 2019, 08:48 PM
kiwi power!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NELICOPTER
Thanks again for this James, I'm just about to recommend this plane to a guy I met looking to get into flying near down the road.
Also for a shameless plug, check out my 3.7m scratch-build compact-able F5J electric motor glider here :P https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Scratch-Build
It breaks apart into multiple 80cm parts for easy transport.
That is AWESOME!
May 16, 2019, 12:21 PM
Thread Killer
Does anyone know what RX chipset or protocol, is used for r/c in this plane? I'm looking to bind mine with my Vantec MPM Lite multi module for my FrSKY X-Lite TX.

I love this little trainer, flies great with crazy long battery life and plenty of power for what it is despite being a brushed 1S setup.

I have put an FPV camera on mine ! I cut a notch out of the cockpit canopy and hot glued it there heh. I used this one (link below) - a AKK A1-OSD FPV Camera because I wanted flight times and voltage in an OSD, without needing to have OSD output from an FC. I didn't use the crappy dipole antenna it came with, rather I stuck one of my Lumenier Micro AXII Shorty U.FL antennas on it, which gave it impressive range and clarity. It works great!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07917Y2CJ
I screwed two 1" long metal screws into the rear of the fuselage to offset the weight and maintan stock CG.
Jun 10, 2019, 04:13 PM
Thread Killer

Volantex Ranger 600 761-2 FPV build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus
Does anyone know what RX chipset or protocol, is used for r/c in this plane? I'm looking to bind mine with my Vantec MPM Lite multi module for my FrSKY X-Lite TX.

I love this little trainer, flies great with crazy long battery life and plenty of power for what it is despite being a brushed 1S setup.

I have put an FPV camera on mine ! I cut a notch out of the cockpit canopy and hot glued it there heh. I used this one (link below) - a AKK A1-OSD FPV Camera because I wanted flight times and voltage in an OSD, without needing to have OSD output from an FC. I didn't use the crappy dipole antenna it came with, rather I stuck one of my Lumenier Micro AXII Shorty U.FL antennas on it, which gave it impressive range and clarity. It works great!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07917Y2CJ
I screwed two 1" long metal screws into the rear of the fuselage to offset the weight and maintan stock CG.
To answer my own question, turns out the Volantex protocol wasn't yet supported in the MPM, but it is now! Works amazing to control this plane now with my X-Lite! We used my TX to figure it all out etc. Done in this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...col-TX-Module/

As an update to what I posted prior above, I also doubled the battery size from the stock 360 mAh to these 700 mAh batteries:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011SHYQLW/

$19 shipped for 6 batteries?! Yes please! I cut a notch out of the top of the front ring to clear these batteries so they can sit vertically, without more serious mods this is about as big a battery as will fit this way. I had to put in two larger screws in the tail of the plane to maintain the factory CG, which after sizing the screws just right, is exactly perfect. Despite the added weight of the screws + camera + double sized battery... the plane still flies amazingly! I can easily fly it still at half throttle. And with these big ole batteries, I can easily get 20+ minute flights out of it! With a lot of gliding and low speed flying, I can do 25 minutes with these - all over FPV!

This setup is now perhaps, my favorite thing to fly overall, or at least my favorite to fly FPV. It's just the perfect sized and powered plane to fly in my backyard, and the gryo makes it so predictable and easy to recover! I have about 1/2 acre and can go into my neighbors lawns a bit, and it's perfect for flying around trees, under gaps and so on. Smack a tree and with it's light weight, rear prop, and flexible foam construction, it just bounces off haha. If you're looking for a park flyer, trainer, or backyard flyer to easily mod to FPV etc, I can't recommend this setup enough! Attached are a few pics of my setup.

Quick Reply