the periodic table of stupid - RC Groups
Jun 12, 2018, 05:20 PM
plays with toy planes
Discussion

the periodic table of stupid

I'm just a few years into this addiction, but I feel like I'm doing a good job of ticking off all the boxes of Mandatory Disasters. I'm even making the sport my own, inventing unique and, if I may say so, stylish new DLG catastrophes.

Anyway, I'm posting a list here so I never forget all the fun that I'm having. Will be adding to it for sure.

- 'Flying someone else's plane' in a thermal, while augering your own
- Three minutes after this, you get your shiny new backup plane out for the next round. Give it one more launch just to shake off the willies. Eyes are on you, the dude who just vaporized a plane for absolutely no reason. The wing anchors strip on launch. The folded wing flutters down from 8’ up, but the fuse is a legit missile. Straight up, straight down.
- Arriving with no transmitter
- Leave your transmitter on roof of your car
- Completely incinerate two competition DLGs, and an Audi, with a $3 1s Lipo
- Snap a pod off on launch in a way that, 0.015 second later, the jagged remainder loops around and stabs you in the head
- Oh yes, also: Trying to use a windicator, stabbing yourself in the eye with it launching, then nearly losing the plane stumbling around screaming
- Completely overdo a dead-simple wing repair, ending up with a *%& Bihedral wing.
- Smugly weeping thin CA into cracks in your pod, not knowing you just glued every servo wire down under the servo tray
- Thinking that cracking sound is just the peg settling in
- Pre-maiden checklist is complete but you still have something reversed somewhere
- Breaking the menu and/or trim buttons on your X9D the night before EVERY single contest
Last edited by barry d; Jun 13, 2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: sucky writing
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2018, 05:44 PM
hahaha - have had a few of those myself.

the reversed controls I did on a B3 a few years ago - did manage to fly it ok and even caught a thermal and decent ride - was tough on the brain though.

did the peg settling in thing in the weekend -which ended up in my brand new Snipe 2 breaking boom on launch and spiralling to ground....

others of note
dropped transmitter on launch
Plugging in RX backwards and burning out brand new servos AND RX (JR ones are not cheap haha)
Missed a bolt in 3 bolt wing connection - wing folding on launch
forget to check plane is ON
Wrong model selected in TX
Last edited by gtrbaby; Jun 12, 2018 at 06:17 PM.
Jun 12, 2018, 05:54 PM
I think repeating the "forgot to check plane is ON" is significant. I weep about my "new" Revolution. Sob, sob.
Jun 12, 2018, 05:59 PM
- Completely misjudge a hand-catch and at the last moment and then have to physically 'duck under' and dive for the ground and then have to somehow orchestrate a landing from a totally prone position!

- Reposition the battery connector/anchor, getting epoxy inside the JST connector in the process, which then causes the plug to slide out, (but only during launch), resulting in a lawn-dart style power fail!
Jun 12, 2018, 06:06 PM
- Proudly (and very casually) strolling up to a landed glider whilst admiring one's own handy-work in orchestrating such a miraculous landing, whilst failing to notice a light-speed dash across the park by a nasty attack-mutt, which then proceeds to devour the model for breakfast!

- and then expecting the beast's owner to give a toss!
Jun 12, 2018, 06:12 PM
iVoid Warrenties
-Forget to take finger OFF launch switch

-Say the fatal words, "One more flight"

-Run your Rx battery to low and launch again
Latest blog entry: Story of an ELF in Pictures..
Jun 12, 2018, 06:12 PM
- Allowing oneself to be distracted whilst flying, (in order to admire the flying skills of an approaching bird), and then failing to recognise the impending doom, missing the timing window for executing evasive manoueuvres, resulting in a totally demolished tail assembly .. mid-flight!
Jun 12, 2018, 06:20 PM
Soar high, huck low
Flying until the battery is dead and watching it go in.

Launching without plugging in RX.

Stepping on 2 Snipes to pick up a old pice of scotch tape- Don’t be a litter bug!

Fried servos with reverse polarity.

Melting a wing while trying to steam out some dings.

Thinking to myself, wow, 13 rounds of competition and nobody had a midair during this contest. Yep, I had one a minute later.

Self proclaimed contest goal- Don’t land out this weekend. Land out first flight of round 1.
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Jun 12, 2018, 06:27 PM
- Arriving after a long drive, grabbing the glider for a long-awaited relaxing fly and failing to notice the in-progress, outright assault campaign by a group of angry local birds, one of which swoops me whilst ascending an embankment while carrying the plane. The resulting fall damages my back for weeks ... as well as the plane! (Another score for the birds!)
Jun 12, 2018, 06:31 PM
- Allowing the wife's requested collection of: 'just 2 litres of milk - on the way home', to thence completely demolish the boom and tail-assembly of the NXT (upon braking)!
Jun 12, 2018, 06:45 PM
Soar high, huck low
Spending an afternoon repairing a wing at a friends house. Putting said wing in my car while the friend asks if if door will close without crunching wing. Sure thing. Got home, parked on a hill and while taking the wing out, the door slammed shut on it. DOH!
Jun 12, 2018, 06:47 PM
Soar high, huck low
Finding out the hard way that your wing cores and CA are not friendly.
Jun 12, 2018, 09:39 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
"I have plenty of altitude to clear the barbed wire fence."

"No way that fence would be electrified."

"CA will hold that Kevlar together for one more launch."
Jun 12, 2018, 09:42 PM
Afflicted with DDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransamuels
I think repeating the "forgot to check plane is ON" is significant. I weep about my "new" Revolution. Sob, sob.
I did just the opposite; I launched my new Revolution with the Transmitter OFF! I had to cut teh nose cone off just to disconnect the battery. Wing is broken and I busted the tail off again.
Bob
Jun 12, 2018, 11:34 PM
Just last weekend, I launched from a beach, fell down, and got a whole bunch of sand in the transmitter. Fortunately, it's a junky transmitter. Also, left plane in back seat of car and on Monday damaged the tail with my elbow when I turned around while backing up. I'd just built a box for the model, but I hadn't wanted to take the model apart.

Have launched, once, with receiver off. Wasn't a DLG, though, and I'd already flown the plane for 15 years or so.

A couple of tip strikes when I switched from an RE model to one with ailerons and less dihedral.

I bought a used model with a boom repair. It lasted only a few launches because the extra carbon was parallel to the break instead of across it! I think I'd figured there were some lengthwise fibers under the others, but I guess not.

Launched an Elf, the nose cone popped off, and the battery came out. Never found the battery, and the plane ended up in a tree.

Quick Reply