Jun 12, 2018, 12:41 PM
Discussion

How to make "hollow" canopies and fuselages???

I would like to know how to make hollow fuses and canopies out of dollar tree foam? I really don't like the look of square fuselages on scale planes like a P-38 Lightening. If any one has ideas on making curved fuses,etc. please let me know. Thank you so much!!
Last edited by trying2flyit; Jun 14, 2018 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2018, 10:02 PM
treefinder
Took a while, as it isn't an active thread, but this guy has done some great work forming foam into complex shapes. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...th-foam-sheets

You can also click on my username and go to my blog. Look for the list of one skeeters so far. It has links to the build threads. Some of my planes have rounded fuselage and other shaped parts. Not as good as osern, but another take on shaping foam.
Jun 13, 2018, 11:21 PM

1/2 ounce fiberglass clothe epoxy

I shape my foam mold and then I coat it with diluted epoxy. After sanding it smooth , I reapply another coating.I then Epoxy cover the mold with 2 layers of 1/2 ounce fiber clothe . A final coat of 2 ounce cloth is epoxied on .I then use acetone to dissolve the foam mold and then you have to grind out the caramelized foam.
Proof Of Concept - Styrofoam, Epoxy, Fiberglass, Acetone (3 min 20 sec)
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Jun 13, 2018 at 11:35 PM.
Jun 14, 2018, 03:50 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
That's pretty cute, but I think vacuum forming would be easier, cheaper and lighter (depending on material used)
The plug would need to be harder than foam, and therefore slightly more difficult to make, but it would not be destroyed in use.
Actually the above method could be a good way to make the vacuum-forming plug.
Jun 14, 2018, 05:39 PM
thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jun 16, 2018, 03:41 PM
This thread may be of interest, along with many more from Juergen:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-easyiest-way

Mark

Quick Reply