Jun 20, 2018, 10:08 PM
bayagliders.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchydawg1
the first pic. is facing North towards the bay opening, at the top of the ridgeline is the "secret place", rivals Fermin, you can fly the heavies up there.
Yeah, supposedly some call that Westridge, through the park up there but it's a difficult landing where you have to come up the slope and pancake it in. I have never flown up there maybe one day. I actually thought the secret spot was closer to Thorton, where you can DS.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2018, 10:11 PM
auto-tune remix
Is that WR in that pic? Flown there in a 50mph day, and crashed really hard on landing. Flown there with Reed many times.
Jun 20, 2018, 10:24 PM
bayagliders.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
Is that WR in that pic? Flown there in a 50mph day, and crashed really hard on landing. Flown there with Reed many times.
Yes, first pic in the distance is WR.
Jun 21, 2018, 08:07 PM
bayagliders.com
Thread OP
Today was a beautiful day and flyable smooth lift!
Jun 21, 2018, 08:25 PM
bayagliders.com
Thread OP
Mark flying DLG at Mussel Rock in light lift (0 min 38 sec)
Jun 23, 2018, 07:20 AM
bayagliders.com
Thread OP
So I took my dog for a walk up to Mori Pt. in Pacifica. Mori is definitely flyable and sometimes the wind is stronger than MR. Looks best with SW wind. I have flown there Its a bit of a walk but you can park in the neighborhood after Sharp Park golf course and the walk isnt too bad.
Last edited by funkyfreestyler; Jun 23, 2018 at 07:42 AM.
Jun 23, 2018, 09:17 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchydawg1
the first pic. is facing North towards the bay opening, at the top of the ridgeline is the "secret place", rivals Fermin, you can fly the heavies up there.
I can believe it. Looks like a Hugh slope!
Jun 23, 2018, 09:19 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfreestyler
Today was a beautiful day and flyable smooth lift!
Great pics and video.

Making me want to head North.
Jun 24, 2018, 02:33 PM
bayagliders.com
Thread OP
Awesome day here! 20+ mph great lift.
Last edited by funkyfreestyler; Jun 24, 2018 at 03:26 PM.
Jun 25, 2018, 10:17 PM
bayagliders.com
Thread OP
Today was flyable but it was a little too South so not great compared to the last few days. I flew my F3F ship and my Mini Vector at the carpets and landed perfectly each time. Generally when it's really blowing (over 20mph) I will do more of a hover and land it in the short gully on the left side, just left of the point where the wind indicator is. You must commit to landing so either land and nose the plane down or go around again. The left side of the indicator in SW wind is more smooth.

When the wind is 20 or less then the pancake method is the best. The pancake method is traverse the ridge from left to right staying out and front near the lip and low and deploy flaps or crow. You are doing a downwind landing. As soon as you pass the indicator start to bring the airplane lower, and try to get the plane as low as possible (3-6 feet) of the edge of the gully, flying now on the inside of the cliff edge and as soon as you clear small trench remove flaps and immediately pushing nose down. If you do this well it will be very smooth. If you don't put the plane down immediately you can get caught in a rotor and you can go off the other side and lose your plane in the death bowl. The most important part of this technique is to land no matter what. If the wind is blowing too hard you will be traveling really fast and it's easier to do the hover landing.

You can also do the loop and swoop by shooting the right trench/gully, making a hard u turn in front of the parked cars and people and then quickly turn into wind and deploy flaps and push plane down. I generally don't like this landing because it's a bit risk to do such a hard turn in front of vehicles and the street. I think the other approaches are less risky to people and personal property.
Jun 25, 2018, 10:27 PM
Didn't wind up bringing the Ahi this week. Too much work, and couldn't fit the box in any of the luggage I had handy. Found a gun box at a store that fits the Ahi box perfectly, but the $170 price didn't make me open up the wallet. Heckuva box though.

Will try again, maybe late summer.

(Now that I'm up here, I'm kicking myself!)

T.P.
Jun 25, 2018, 10:35 PM
bayagliders.com
Thread OP
I use a plano rifle case for my sunbird that works for Southwest Airlines super cheap. Not sure it will work for ahi but I can check:

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Pro-Max...rds=rifle+case
Last edited by funkyfreestyler; Jun 25, 2018 at 10:59 PM.
Jun 26, 2018, 02:02 PM
bayagliders.com
Thread OP
Based on wind direction should be a good day today!

Quick Reply