Jun 11, 2018, 08:31 AM
A man with too many toys
Discussion

Is this under FAA authority?

Hobby King Micro Drone Hovercraft Kit

Tiny Whoop Hovercraft Kit - HobbyKing Super Daily (6 min 39 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2018, 08:44 AM
Suspended Account
In theory, since a hover craft technically is flying, I would say yes. But for all practical purposes since a fraction of an inch is the highest altitude it reaches, I would say No. In the full size world I believe the FAA ignores them. The argument can be made that it is a ground vehicle since it needs to be in close proximity to the ground to function.

And this all assumes it weighs more than 8.5 ounces.
Jun 11, 2018, 08:52 AM
If operated outdoors, then I'd say yes. The FAA contends that they regulate down to the last atom above the ground. Clearly these are capable of sustained flight - even is such flight is always sub-1mm in altitude.
Jun 11, 2018, 09:11 AM
Probably exempt because it is likely to be under the weight limit. It is a LOT smaller than it looks in the portion of the video showing them operating.
Jun 11, 2018, 10:18 AM
Fire Marshall Bill
By that theory FAA would have jurisdiction over Mag-Lev trains.

Just imagine what will happen when the true Back to the Future hoverboard is invented!
Jun 11, 2018, 10:25 AM
Interesting enough, I don't see any weight exemptions on the FAA website. Under 55 lbs must notify airports within 5 miles and register. So this hovercraft would be subject to regulation.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/
Jun 11, 2018, 10:55 AM
That would be a fun conversation with the tower. “You are requesting clearance for what again exactly....”

This whole situation we find ourselves in is just stupid!
Jun 11, 2018, 11:59 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmanuel
Interesting enough, I don't see any weight exemptions on the FAA website. Under 55 lbs must notify airports within 5 miles and register. So this hovercraft would be subject to regulation.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/
Anything under 250 grams or 8.8 ounces is exempt from registration and coordination requirements. You have to read the FAA Re-auth bill itself to get this.
Jun 11, 2018, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
Anything under 250 grams or 8.8 ounces is exempt from registration and coordination requirements. You have to read the FAA Re-auth bill itself to get this.

But full scale hovercraft is way over that weight.
Jun 11, 2018, 12:25 PM
Multirotors are models too!
BUT they don't fly.......
Jun 11, 2018, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty105
BUT they don't fly.......
But they do!
Jun 11, 2018, 12:33 PM
A man with too many toys
I thought that there was a rule about full scale hovercraft but i can't locate it. I thought it was something like a couple of meters before it was considered an aircraft. I saw something about that on a science show but I can't recall the details. It would be interesting to find a document that discussed that topic.

A helicopter or multirotor flying in ground effect is really a hovercraft and may not be under FAA authority. Ground effect can start at two wingspans height and is very noticeable below one wingspan.

Jun 11, 2018, 12:46 PM
Multirotors are models too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
But they do!
No, generally considered water craft of land craft.....
Jun 11, 2018, 12:48 PM
A man with too many toys
So if I hover my helicopter low over water it's considered a watercraft?
Jun 11, 2018, 01:00 PM
FAA definition for aircraft.

Aircraft means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air.

Quick Reply