8 channel radios for modifying - RC Groups
Jun 10, 2018, 12:42 PM
Question

8 channel radios for modifying

So for my last sailboat model I heavily modified a Hobbyking 6 channel radio. I put it in a new wood case, swapped the potentiometers for slides, etc. The radio was an awesome candidate for it because it was cheap (low risk), simple (no LCD screen to deal with) and durable.

I'm about to do a new radio for a boat that needs more channels. Not only is Hobby King out of the 6 channel radios, but what I really need this time is something more like 8 channels. I'd be replacing half of the potentiometers with slides and needing the other half to be dials. This worked easily with the 6 channel, but I don't understand enough to know if the extra channels on all radios (dedicated to switches, modes, etc) can just be made into normal potentiometer channels that control servos.

Is there an 8 channel radio that anyone has heavily modified like this? I liked the computer reconfig with the 6 channel because I didn't have to figure out some way to house an LCD screen that I didn't really need.

For that matter, if I have to go with a 6 channel, does anyone know if there is some kind of supply issue with HK and those radios?

Thanks a lot.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2018, 03:59 PM
Thank you, early adopters.
The Taranis X9D+ has four stick channels, two knobs, and two "sliders", and together they can be set up for analog control of eight separate channels. It also has six 3-position switches, a two-position switch, a spring-loaded switch, and four trim switches, along with the power switch.

If you bought one it doesn't look like you'd need to modify it but it does have a lot of potential for modification.
Latest blog entry: The Big OpenTX Trim Mess
Jun 10, 2018, 05:07 PM
I'm using them for scale sailboats, so I actually remove the sticks altogether. I use one dial pot for a steering wheel and the rest get replaced by slide potentiometers that control the sheets on the sails. What I really need is a radio exactly like HK's cheapo 6 channel, but with more channels for controlling servos. The more stuff on it (screen, etc) the more I have to figure out where to put in a new case.
Jun 10, 2018, 05:14 PM
There's a real simple solution. There is a "simple decoder" system by Ron Ellis. I suggest you start there. If you go to the Classic Pattern forum there's a lengthy thread about it.

Andy
Jun 10, 2018, 05:15 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Not sure of the world wide impact, but in the US Hobby King is in trouble with the FCC again https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...10&postcount=1

Mike
Jun 10, 2018, 05:54 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
How about the Jumper T8SG? It’s a 10ch radio for $60.00.
And the added benefit is that it’s compatible with receivers from all the major companies and more.
https://www.gearbest.com/radios-rece...ml?wid=1433363

Gearbest also has the FlySky CT6B 6ch for $44.36.
https://www.gearbest.com/radios-rece...ml?wid=1433363
Jun 10, 2018, 06:03 PM
AndyKunz, thanks for the thread, I'll go through that one.

This is the post I made on the first modification I did (I later replaced the dial pots with slides):
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=32
Jun 12, 2018, 10:31 AM
So question to anyone who has modified 8 channel (or more) radios:

On the six channel I modified (the Hobbyking) all six channels could be used with the same kind of potentiometers in order to control servos. I want to do the same with more channels.

Is the same true of all radios? I see radios that have four stick channels, a couple of dials, a couple of switches, etc. Are those channels controlling switches the same as the others, as in, could I just put a potentiometer on those channels and control a servo?

Thanks again.
Jun 12, 2018, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHarrisTweed

On the six channel I modified (the Hobbyking) all six channels could be used with the same kind of potentiometers in order to control servos. I want to do the same with more channels.

Is the same true of all radios? I see radios that have four stick channels, a couple of dials, a couple of switches, etc. Are those channels controlling switches the same as the others, as in, could I just put a potentiometer on those channels and control a servo?

Thanks again.
The original Taranis X9D+ without the M9 gimbal modification has gimbals with ordinary potentiometers, and the replacement hall effect gimbals electronically mimic potentiometers, so the X9D+ (or X9D) has the potential to support eight potentiometers controlling eight output channels.
Jun 12, 2018, 11:19 AM
Quote:

Thanks again.
It very much depends on the radio you are working with.

If you are using a Spektrum radio, the analog inputs are the analog inputs, and the digital inputs cannot be used as analogs. Of course the radio includes trimmers which can be used to simulate analog inputs, but you can't hook a pot up to them.

If you find an old radio using an NE5044 or similar, then all the inputs are analog and you can do what you like.

If you use something like the Simple Encoder I mentioned earlier then you can refer to the documentation for that to see which inputs are analog and which are digital.

In short, "it all depends."

Andy
Jun 12, 2018, 12:39 PM
Thanks again for the responses. I guess that only experiencing the HK 6 I assumed that all channels could be used with pots and servos.

If I'm reading the literature for the Simple Encoder right, it's got a couple of switched channels that I assume are digital and so won't work, which leaves it at only six channels that I can actually use.

I'll check out the Taranis, thank you.
Jun 12, 2018, 01:42 PM
Quote:
I'll check out the Taranis, thank you.
If you go with it please post some pictures when it's done. I was just wondering what it would look like.

Jun 12, 2018, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Thanks again for the responses. I guess that only experiencing the HK 6 I assumed that all channels could be used with pots and servos.
So you need 6 pots for inputs, or 8?

The DX8e and DX8 give you 5 analog inputs, the DX9 gives you 7.

Andy
Jun 12, 2018, 02:13 PM
I need eight pots for inputs.

It's a schooner, so there are a lot of basic inputs (rudder, main sail, fore sail, head sails, motor throttle) all of which need to be on separate dials, slides, or similar. I tried and found it impossible to keep the inputs on sticks; too much accidental adjustment. And I'm looking to add things to it that will also run servos. The boat is very big so there's plenty of room for more servos.

My last version looked like this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=32

I'm guessing the new one will look pretty much the same, but with even more knobs, slides, etc. At the time I built the last one I looked into aluminum cases, but none seemed to be that much improvement over plywood.
Jun 12, 2018, 02:27 PM
That link doesn't go anywhere.

If you can use trimmers instead of pots, then the DX9 has two of them free, giving a total of 9 variable inputs (7 pots + 2 trimmers).

Andy

Quick Reply