This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 10, 2018, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

telemetry-what is and what we can get

telemetry: an almost magic word that conjures dreams of getting data of everything we want or need.
according to the heritage dictionary, it is: "(tə-lĕm′ĭ-trē) The automatic measurement and transmission of data from a distant source to a receiving station. "
but, what really can we get for our purposes? what we need?
for instance, as i fly electric gliders, i need to know volts of the pack in the plane so i dont loose power; also altitude; and these by a voice telling me the figures so i dont have to take my eyes from the plane; and vario with beeps to tell me if the plane is climbing or sinking. (also an alarm when the radio battery reaches the critical volts-but this is not telemetry)
i got vario and altitude by means of a device that can be used with any radio, and low volts of the pack (and audible alarm or vibration) from another, that also can be used with any radio, so everything works great.
lately i was given a radio with telemetry and i used a receiver that has telemetry so i can get some data too. so far, the receiver performs great. no problem with it. but with these i have learned that getting what i need depends on the radio capability and the instructions to use it, and that has not been as i need. have been told by an "expert"from the radio that posts at a forum where the receiver and that radio are been discussed, that i have to discuss the radio and its manual at the thread of the radio, but there he-or anybody else-have not been of help.
so telemetry is not as easy to use as it may seem. and there are several suppliers that advertise their products for telemetry but still it is necessary to be fully informed about what these products really do before buying anything, and this is not easy, if the buyer does not know much when getting started. sometimes (most of the time) ads and details are not clear, neither provide all the data he needs, and the manuals or instructions not necessarily provide the help you need. the only thing that could save you aggravation is if you have the good fortune of having a close friend who owns it. otherwise the advise by 'experts' on the web has to be taken with a grain of salt-if you get any.
so there you have it.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jun 24, 2018 at 07:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2018, 11:15 PM

DX6 gen3

I was going to get one of these...but some people have said the telemetry voice is very poor...Is this the case with yours?...I think you can record your own type of voice in later models...but is the voice volume any good without head phones?
Jun 12, 2018, 04:24 PM
Thread OP

earphones

even at 100% i barely can hear what the voice says, but others say it is fine.
but my hearing is not so good so you cant count on me.
on the other hand, with earphones the sound is so loud that i have to reduce to 30%
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jun 13, 2018 at 12:39 AM.
Jun 12, 2018, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez
even at 100% i barely can hear what the voice says, but others say it is fine.
but my hearing is not so good so you cant count on me.
with hearing aids it sounds so loud that i have to reduce to 30%
OK..thanks Phil.
On our slope there is usually wind noise and people talking...so it will be difficult.
Probably OK for thermal flying out in quite open paddock.
Jun 12, 2018, 06:50 PM
All your notes are very interesting reading.
Most is what I have experienced simular(even though I am 20 years behind you)
I hope having telemetery helps explain and clarify what you have experienced with different types of gliding.
Please keep the reports coming.
Ken
Jun 13, 2018, 12:40 AM
Thread OP

earphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirotor
OK..thanks Phil.
On our slope there is usually wind noise and people talking...so it will be difficult.
Probably OK for thermal flying out in quite open paddock.
but with earphones the sound is so loud that i have to reduce to 30%

Quick Reply