Jun 11, 2018, 04:24 AM
Slideways at warp speed.......
looks like align DFC heli inner setup ?? and most probably the align FG shells as well. Good on em for bringing a BNF or RTF or similar type deal to the table ready to go. I'll take a huey !
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2018, 04:35 AM
Cá bhfuil Micheál?
South of US$400 would be excellent. I just did a quick “see what the first hits are”

This one is already a good third of the price or more

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/Align...380185634.html
Jun 11, 2018, 05:02 AM
yes those are align fuselage kits, which sure look like what is being offered as a complete BNF or RTF by these guys. I like that EC145........

english version of that same site

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gro...35d16f302ynopX
Jun 11, 2018, 10:29 AM
Big difference here, those are the shell only, you provide the heli, no small additional cost there, plus you get to spend hours putting one into the other and getting it setup to fly.

MotionRC is offering a completed setup and test flown at the "factory", way worth the cost. Nobody else does that. BTW, when I tried to make a purchase from Aliexpress in the past, my credit card would not process the transaction as it is a non-trust worth site. MotionRC offers real people to talk to, and a serial number of your product so they can reference it directly.
Jun 11, 2018, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14
Big difference here, those are the shell only, you provide the heli, no small additional cost there, plus you get to spend hours putting one into the other and getting it setup to fly.

MotionRC is offering a completed setup and test flown at the "factory", way worth the cost. Nobody else does that. BTW, when I tried to make a purchase from Aliexpress in the past, my credit card would not process the transaction as it is a non-trust worth site. MotionRC offers real people to talk to, and a serial number of your product so they can reference it directly.

Exactly.

I've been trying to decide what scale heli to build for years.

Personally I feel that anything smaller than a 450 just does not have enough mass and would not
look and sound realistic enough during flight (again, my personal opinion).

I have the optional fuselage for my mCPX v2 but didn't like it, and also built some fixed pitch 300's with a full fuselage.
When you add it all up (including labor) it costs a small fortune to build a proper scale 450 or larger unless you get creative.

These look like a great deal.

I would add navigation lights and the retracts would need some TLC, but I could start flying them right away.
Last edited by Steve_; Jun 11, 2018 at 02:46 PM.
Jun 11, 2018, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Yeah the retracts should be able to be slowed down by either an inline slowdown or on the TX. It looks like they're just servo-actuated mechanical retracts.

I'm interested in the Huey so that's not something I'll have to worry about. I wanted the Huey when the Blade SR had it available but all I ever heard was how bad the Blade SR flew. These look great.
Yes, retracts are servo driven, so slowdown is easily done in the TX. I'm sure you'll find this Huey generations better than the old Blade. Better quality fuselage than the old vac-formed plastic, with solid 450 mechanics. The fiberglass is also a great base for painting and detailing. Below are a few photos of some mods/paint that I made to the fuselage of my old Roban 450 Huey, which looks to be similar to what's coming on the PNP. Enlarged the windshield, and bent my own skids from brass tube. Really helped the appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14

Exactly. While buying a scale fuselage and fitting it is certainly a good option, especially for more exotic types, it definitely isn't for everyone. I've built all of my scale birds that way, and have gotten a lot of interest from pilots at scale/warbird events. They always are asking where they can buy one, but when I go over the process, they tend to loose interest. Having it pre-set up, with Motion's customer support could really be a game changer for how many look at scale choppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_
Personally I feel that anything smaller than a 450 just does not have enough mass and would not
look and sound realistic enough during flight (again, my personal opinion).

When you add it all up it costs a small fortune to build a scale helicopter unless you get creative.

These look like a great deal.
I completely agree. I had the little Blade Apache for a while, and while the airframe detailing was great, it did not lend itself to flying scale at all. It was small, accelerated very quickly, and easily buffeted by wind. Would have been a 10x better machine if it was larger. These birds have a lot more "presence" in the air, and are easier to fly scale.
Jun 11, 2018, 02:24 PM
dont get me wrong guys , the link was shell only, the fact that the motion RC guys have a ready to fly based on align mechanicals is totally brilliant, I hope they sell a bucket load of them.

From the web link photos for the shells it looks like the elevated tail is still belt drive which would be great as well.

I know i'll be buying a huey for sure, at that money it's a no brainer.
Jun 11, 2018, 08:33 PM
I bet those Huey's are going to sell out fast. That is the one I'm after too. I currently have a RC Aerodyne Augusta a109 coast guard fuse that I want to put a Forza 450 into, but like has already been discussed, it takes time and I just haven't made the time yet.

I've always steered clear of the raised tail scale stuff because of the complications and special sized drive belt, compared to the stock size. That is one big reason why I really appreciate the Huey they are offering.. Stick a gun ship in there, and I'll probably have to pick up another
Jun 12, 2018, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Yeah the retracts should be able to be slowed down by either an inline slowdown or on the TX. It looks like they're just servo-actuated mechanical retracts.

I'm interested in the Huey so that's not something I'll have to worry about. I wanted the Huey when the Blade SR had it available but all I ever heard was how bad the Blade SR flew. These look great.

They say it's got a Sparky 2.0 flight controller which is an F4 chip. So it should be really good.

Just waiting to see what they're going to go for.

So... I have been trying to do some research on the Sparky 2.0 which appears to be really popular in drones, but not finding anything on Heli's.. Not to mention noot really finding much information on its abilities.. I see it can run clean flight, programable etc... But my ?? is what does this all do, work like etc?? I mean, they are talking about it being stabilized. Is this running with a separate FBL system, or does it do that on its own? How stabilized? Can these be programmed to have a rescue type mode?
My curiosity is in trying to put together a 450 heli for a buddy, but not wanting to spend 200 bucks on a FBL with a rescue feature... Looking for cheaper alternative.
Jun 12, 2018, 07:19 PM
you can use the older CC3D / Revo boards in helis, there used to be a heli section in openpilot not sure if that came across into the librepilot software but think so.

in CC3D you can have multiple flight mode settings:
Attitude: 6g stabilised with banking limits and return to level when the sticks are centred, cannot go inverted - this is the 6G type function on most drones.

Ratitude: combined Attitude and Rate, so on angular limits when big stick movements are used but still self centres - stabilises around mid stick, whilst you can do loops and rolls etc it generally will not work for inverted flight as you are in 6G mode around mid stick

Rate: no stabilisation, goes wherever you tell it to, this is very much "3G" on a helicopter, can do inverted hover etc etc.

currently flying a hex drone with all three functions, ratitude is fun and super easy to fly, would be perfect on a scale heli so you can do basic aerobatics and have no banking limits, but cant do inverted hover.

seems the sparky 2 is the next evolution of the CC3D / Revo boards. It has GPS and related function for programmed flight waypoints and god knows what else - RTH, altitude hold etc etc.....

main things is the setup is already done on RCMotion birds and can then be fine tuned to individual preferences

rescue is nothing more than attitude flight mode with very restricted banking, and in some instance adds positive collective pitch for a fraction of a second to gain altitude in the self righting transition. you just edit a flight mode with those settigns that is selected when you activate the rescue button..........

units are all self contained and just need a receiver to suit your Tx unit.
Jun 12, 2018, 07:57 PM
rc user
thanks Craig, that's one to bookmark.
Jun 12, 2018, 10:18 PM
Spool 'er up!
I think it's awesome that Motion RC will be offering these scale helis! As stated in the video, there's currently a huge void between micros and ultra-pricey larger models. This 450 size offers a nice balance between size and cost. Hope these are a big hit! Thinking I'll opt for the AS350...always liked the looks and the yellow paint job will be very visible in flight.
Jun 13, 2018, 10:05 AM
What is the date of release? I thought I read "soon", but not an approximate date.
Jun 13, 2018, 10:33 PM
Under $400? I probably wont be able to keep myself from picking up a Huey.
Jun 14, 2018, 02:06 AM
No doubt that they are on to a winner here providing they get the price right and live up to their sales pitch concerning QC & air testing.

The Huey has got great potential for adding scratch detail - some subtle humouring of the 'home CEO' ahead methinks

Quick Reply