3.Jerry Molnar (Paid)
4.Randy West (Paid)
5.Tim Johnson (Paid)
6.Tim Ellis (pay by mail pending)
7.Don McCullough (pay by mail pending)
8.Chris Bajorek (Paid)
9. Rick Johnston (Paid)
10. Justin Rizor (Paid)

Sad to report that I've had to withdraw from this event. Right after Visalia F5J I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer. I'm out of the hospital, and having chemotherapy. I also had to withdraw as Contest Coordinator. These were not easy decisions for me. But.....

No worrries though, the contest is 'ON'. Tim Ellis has stepped up as Coordinator, and his crew of SBSS volunteers is dedicated to puttinng on
a great event. Chris B. and Don M. are Co- CD's. Time for the Pay by Mail guys to get those checks in the mail.

End of Update.

Also, I'm told an award is being prepared for the pilot who meets the criteria for the lowest launch plus some task TBD. Havn't heard the full details, but will pass on as soon as I know more. Thanks to those who have registered, all the rest...please sign up.

Dave

The Second Annual F5J at Hollister competition is coming soon!
The South Bay Soaring Society (SBSS) is pleased to announce this two day F5J Tour competition to be held July 14 and 15th, 2018 The contest will be held at Brigantino Park; 2100 San Juan Road, 95023 Hollister CA. GPS coordinates 36 50 53.04 N, 121 25 49.73 W. Brigantino Park is a large, irrigated and mowed grass field.

Average high temperature in July is 81 degrees, but mornings and evenings are typically much cooler due to the nearbyPacific coast. Driving time to or from Monterey or Santa Cruz is approximately 45 minutes, making this contest a logical basis for a family vacation on the beautiful.Monterey Bay.

Contest Directors are Don McCullough, and Chris Bajorek. Contest Coordinator is Dave Murphy, [email protected].

This is a F5J-USA Tour event, and will be conducted in accordance with Tour rules. Pertinent information can be found at www.f5j-usa.com/ including rules, explanations and a link to the current FAI rules. Each model flown must be equipped with an approved F5J USA logging altimeter. Motor restarts will be allowed, but will result in a 0 flight and landing score.

Contest fees for this two day event will be $55.00. Registraton will be through F3Xevents.com. and will open this week. Paying at the field is no longer an option, so sign up at www:F3xevents.com. Pay fee by PayPal or by mail as so0n as registration opens.

The top five scorers will receive awards.

The park will be available for practice on Friday the 14th. There is no overnight camping allowed at the park, and users must provide their own drinking water. Shade is scarce, so consider bringing sun protection or shelter.

Recommendations for nearby camping sites, and hotel recommendations are being developed and will be posted soon. We are also trying to develop some sort of onsite lunch option for both days. Stand by for details comming soon. Dave Murphy: [email protected]
Last edited by dragonmurph; Jul 05, 2018 at 08:06 PM. Reason: .update
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2018, 10:12 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
This is a great flying site, did it last year, looking forward to it.

Jerry

Ps edit : the afternoon ocean breezes can get pretty good here, so bring your windy day plane too. The mornings are calm as I remember.
Jun 09, 2018, 07:33 PM
Thread OP

F5J at HollisterJuly 14 and 15, 2018

Jerry You are right!, I'ts pretty typical for NW winds at this field to increase during the day. Might want to throw in that heavy plane . Or not......Seems like last we year we had one windyish day out of two.
Jun 10, 2018, 08:23 PM
Thread OP
Registration for F5J at Hollister is now open on F3X events. Contests entry is $55.00. Burrito lunch solution can be ordered at the field each morning. Delivered hot to your hand at the lunch break $10 per day. Chicken, beef, or veggie. Yum!

p
Jun 10, 2018, 08:42 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
I LOVED the burrito lunch solution last year!! They had an EXCELLENT veggie burrito last year!
Jun 10, 2018, 08:48 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Dave, thanks to you and SBSS for hosting this again this year. You have a beautiful and "thermally interesting" park with varied terrain and cooler temps than we have inland. Tons of thick green grass. And I agree with Jerry, the burritos are awesome. I got chicken last year.

Chris
Jun 10, 2018, 11:53 PM
Thread OP

FYI There is a new hotel in Holister, the Fairfield Inn Just checked their rates for a two day stay, July 14 and 15: $210 includes breakfast. The property is about two blocks from the stand by sailplaner favorite rest spot, The Hollister Inn.
Dave
Last edited by dragonmurph; Jun 11, 2018 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Typo
Jun 11, 2018, 10:07 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Just looked at Fairfield -$210/night
Jun 11, 2018, 10:18 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
I'm signed up

Jerry

Ps edit : booked room at the usual Hollister Inn
Last edited by Airman74; Jun 11, 2018 at 10:24 AM.
Jun 11, 2018, 01:42 PM
Thread OP

Jerry, you are correct! I misread the pricing. Sorry guys.
I suspect most of us will end up at the Hollister Inn in any case . Also, there is a great market and Taquera just 200 of so feet North of the Hollister Inn. Did I hear breakfast burrito? They are great!
Dave
Jun 21, 2018, 12:29 AM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC

Hollister Inn Booking

Just booked my room, not many left.

Hope to see a great turnout ...

Don
Jun 21, 2018, 12:55 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Thanks for the reminder Don, I just booked my room too.
Jun 29, 2018, 09:53 AM
Team Hello Kitty
2 weeks to go! I'm pretty sure there are more guys planning to sign up. Now's a great time. This is a nice park, lots of green grass for soft landings. Hollister has good places to eat and Gilroy is only 12mi NW with even more places to eat and stay.

The terrain around the park is interesting and varied. There is a ridgeline to the south that is elevated about 80' above the park's grass level and dotted with oaks. There are times where the lift there is very good. Also, to the north there is a treeline and to the NW is the parking lot that also kicks up lift too. Here's a Google Earth view looking from the park toward the ridge (click to magnify):

Name: Field looking S toward ridge.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 185.1 KB
Description:

Note that at ground level you cannot see beyond the ridge's peak.
Jun 29, 2018, 02:56 PM
Team Futaba
I am trying to see if I can make this one work for me. Logistics right now don't look great with my work schedule. I'll know for sure just after the 4th. Still, I will do my best to make it.
Jun 29, 2018, 03:41 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Sounds good Bill, would be awesome to have you there.

Quick Reply