This thread is privately moderated by nigelsheffield, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 08, 2018, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

SJ-RG01 fpv goggles review and recordings.

In my pursuit for cheap but good to goggles I am trying out these SJ-RG01 bought from hobbycool.
Arrived to UK n under a week in and in good condition.
$79 http://hobbycool.com/shijie-fpv-dron...ity-auto-scan/
$89 US stock http://hobbycool.com/fpv-drone-goggl...gles-us-stock/
Main reason I wanted to try these is that they record video footage and they are reasonably small and light for not much money $79 .

Also very tempting is they have diversity And IPD adjustment.

Internal battery and a socket to plug in fatsharks battery or a supply such as a 12v supply I use for my taranis is useful.

Usb socket for uploading to pc / tablet without needing to remove micro SD card is also a nice feature.

Audio /video in and out is there too.

All the usual bands are there and are selectable either directly using channel/frequency buttons or with auto channel search.

As you can see it's a fully featured set of fpv goggles.

The one thing I was concerned about was the screen resolution, it is described as 960 by 240 and so only half the lines compared with other goggles which have 480 lines. Whilst this was definitely noticeable I found that I was still quite happy with the picture and could still fly my quads ok and I will use these when I want to record video and maybe as a second set to share the experience with others.

The field of view is quite big without being overpowering, similar to my attitudes V2.

They fit nicely on my face and did not feel heavy, I could see the screen IN FOCUS without any need for glasses unlike my vrd2 goggles which I needed glasses and we're heavy ...

The menu system takes some getting used to but instructions were clear and i soon figured out how to record etc.

Recordings are clear and higher resolution than the screen at 640*480.

Battery life was about 30 minutes which is short but I found my eachine battery and my fatsharks batteries both fit in the socket and could be used to power the goggles whilst in use and charge the internal battery at the same time so extending times easily without any fuss, I didn't run out of power once I used these external batteries but don't know how long they will last..probably hours I guess.( Will update when I know )

Case is well made , looks nice and is strong ( tested by some local kids who dropped them when having a look lol ).

Definitely a good purchase,
They would suit a beginner as a total solution or great for a spare set or like me someone who has smaller f640 goggles which are nice but don't record.

At $79 they are the best value goggles out there right i think.

A few pictures comparing them to my other goggles with weights to show the difference.

Name: IMG_20180608_121301.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 1.24 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20180608_121405.jpg
Views: 16
Size: 1.44 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20180608_121500.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 1.40 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20180608_121522.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 1.36 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20180608_121553.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 1.26 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20180608_121745.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 1.60 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20180608_122013.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 1.34 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20180608_122435.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 1.41 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20180608_122709.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 1.43 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20180608_122928.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 1.38 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_20180608_123006.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 1.29 MB
Description:
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Jun 09, 2018 at 01:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2018, 08:56 AM
Thread OP
These were recorded directly on the goggles , the picture quality has been reduced a LOT by YouTube, the actual recording is much better than this shows but it at least gives some idea of the picture....
Please don't let this YouTube quality reduction give you the impression that it's a terrible picture because the quality is about the same as my vrd2 recordings which YouTube do not seem to reduce the quantity on for some reason ..

8 June 2018 (5 min 25 sec)

8 June 2018 (2 min 26 sec)
Jun 08, 2018, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
First flight of my hb64 also from hobbycool recorded and flown on these goggles.
Will review it soon but so far it's looking like it's the best brushless whoop I've had yet, especially awsome indoors with its small size , it's actually smaller and lighter than my boldclash b03 brushed whoop!

Hb64 first acro flight indoors flips 64mm brushless whoop from hobbycool (3 min 13 sec)
Aug 02, 2018, 02:56 PM
These look good and I am considering a purchase. Are the SMA connectors on the goggles the same type as the ones on the VRD2 pros? I am hoping I would be able to use antennas I bought for the D2.
Aug 02, 2018, 05:01 PM
Thread OP
The pin is in the goggles and the hole in the antenna on these goggles so same as vrd2.
Should fit ok ..
Aug 03, 2018, 01:50 AM
Thanks Nigel. I saw a video review that also confirmed that. Seems the dipole antennas supplied are not very good, so fitting other antennas is beneficial. Now need to decide whether to pull the trigger...!
Aug 03, 2018, 05:02 PM
Thread OP
Well if it helps they are still working fine so reliable it seems...

Really the only downside with them is the resolution of the screen but most of the time it isn't noticeable and not a problem and I'm quite happy with them.
The only ones I like better in the price range is the f640 but they don't record...
Aug 06, 2018, 03:39 PM
Nigel, I had to fit reading glasses (+1.5 if I recall) into my VRD2s (similar to you?). However, you say these goggles are fine without any mod. I am very tempted, but want to know I can see the screens clearly. Given what I needed to do with my VRD2s, do you think these goggles will be okay focus for me?
Aug 06, 2018, 04:08 PM
Thread OP
Yes the focus is fine for me without any glasses so should be ok for you too as I added glasses 1.5 iirc to my vrd2.
I can comfortably wear these for a set of 5 lipos where as I cannot bear to wear the vrd2 even for one lipo now lol.
Aug 06, 2018, 05:24 PM
Thanks Nigel. I think I am sold on these. The only negative is the resolution, but for the price you cannot expect HD screens.
Aug 07, 2018, 01:03 AM
Thread OP
You're welcome, yes resolution is only downside but it's livable.
My wife put them on the other week and said they were comfy and a much better picture and more impressive than the vrd2 so lower resolution wasn't even noticed...
Aug 07, 2018, 01:37 PM
Just bought from Hobbycool. Hopefully will arrive soon

Thanks for the info Nigel
Aug 19, 2018, 02:50 PM
Arrived quickly. I think they fit less well on my face than the VRD2 goggles. They seem to be designed for a face that is wider and flatter than mine. I will need to see how I can block light round the sides. Low latency and the supplied aerials seemed to work well (quad has a simple dipole antenna). The image resolution is really low and so far it is very obvious to me. I keep focussing on pixels...! The displayed image during flight was rather disappointing (even discounting the low resolution). It seemed to be very slow to adjust between light and dark scenes. I need to review the DVR footage to see if that shows the same issue. Nigel, did you alter any of the display settings? I am wondering if that would help. Maybe boost up the brightness.
Aug 19, 2018, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
I did adjust setting iirc, I didn't notice any problem with light changes , this might be more to with camera perhaps?
The recordings look better than the live feed once viewed on a pc or something, like you say the resolution of the screen is low but I found it flyable still but obviously there are better screens ..
Aug 20, 2018, 01:40 PM
Thanks Nigel. I tweaked the brightness, contrast and saturation up a bit, but I think you are right. The day was very gloomy yesterday and the light was poor. The camera on the mini-quad does not handle low light very well. Just tried again with better light and things are better. Transitions are faster and there are no issues with how the goggles handle the transitions.

Quick Reply