Aug 04, 2018, 12:13 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASkillzFPV
I now have a handful of R-XSR's that I'm afraid to use. I also wonder if a bad batch was produced, although I feel like if that was the case, we would be hearing of more issues.
Rangetestmode reduces power to 1/1000. If you get about 100m on the ground without loosing link, your R-XSR are OK. R-XSR show lower RSSI levels than older RX in medium distance, this scares users from time to time, because it also triggers sporadic RSSI warnings. Maximum range is indeed better despite lower RSSI numbers. My testflights show about 50% more range until failsafe happens. Only at the end of range, this is in several km distance, RSSI numbers are higher than with elder X series receivers. Not many users fly so far that they can see it.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2018, 11:37 AM
Hmm,

The one example I have is definitely weird:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=445

The described issue is repeatable and if it sticks in "low range" mode you could be toast.
Aug 06, 2018, 12:22 PM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey

Great, i knew i read this somewhere, but i was not able to find your post again. Eventually it helps to explain some observations.
Aug 06, 2018, 01:27 PM
"Great, i knew i read this somewhere, but i was not able to find your post again. Eventually it helps to explain some observations."

It took me a while!

I would be very interested to know if anyone can repeat this, once seen, I found it easy to reproduce. However, I was never able to find the exact circumstances under which it would go from low to high range "mode", or to convince myself it always would.

I'll try and find time to do some more testing, but it won't be for a few days.

Jim Davey
Aug 07, 2018, 07:46 PM
I have a brand new armattan rooster that was pre-built with the CL racing F4, and R-XSR, and am having range issues. I had a failsafe on its second flight within 30m of myself.

So, I moved the antennas out to the arms (away from the vtx antenna), and did a little test at home. With quad and transmitter at opposite ends of the house, I get 72% RSSI. With my XM+ equipped quad in the same spot I get 97% RSSI.

I only have the one R-XSR to test, but I think I'm just going to have to go back to the trusty ol' XM+
Sep 11, 2018, 10:25 AM
i just noticed i am having the same issues with the R-XSR am getting low RSSI when with 100M where as XM+ no issues
Sep 11, 2018, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey
Hmm,

The described issue is repeatable and if it sticks in "low range" mode you could be toast.
Sounds like the RX adjusts its sensitivity depending on the signal strength but reports the RSSI based on measurements after the adjustment. It makes sense to change the sensitivity dynamically because otherwise the RX would swamp close to the radio and you could only bind it with it 30ft away or something. It would be nice if they could somehow normalize the reported RSSI to account for the dynamic sensitivity change though.

I have no experience with these and I'm just guessing based on what was described but it seems likely it is how they are designed to work and you have to adjust your RSSI expectations accordingly.
Last edited by pressalltheknobs; Sep 11, 2018 at 02:32 PM.
Feb 17, 2019, 07:27 PM
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this problem (low RSSI / RSSI dropping of quickly). I have had this happen to an S6R which was tested against another S6R on the same transmitter, which didn't have any problems, and on a different transmitter where the problem receiver displayed the same issues ? The antennas were also swapped out and made no difference.
Feb 18, 2019, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taggarc1
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this problem (low RSSI / RSSI dropping of quickly). I have had this happen to an S6R which was tested against another S6R on the same transmitter, which didn't have any problems, and on a different transmitter where the problem receiver displayed the same issues ? The antennas were also swapped out and made no difference.
I dont have a solution to this problem yet, however my workaround to this is to use the XSR-M or TBS Crossfire RX(s) systems.
Mar 01, 2019, 07:40 PM
i have the same problem, i have the taranis X9D plus and R XSR receiver and i have 75dB RSSI at 1 meter and i lose the RSSI at 50 m.
I don't know why, i have to buy another receiver for test and verify if its the taranis
Apr 23, 2019, 03:39 PM
I had exactly the same.

Frsky r-xsr super weird fail safe (brand new unit): you can see my quad is not changing orientation (2 antennas in planes 90 degrees apart), I'm in direct line of sight of the quad about 30-50 meters away, rssi value says 52 ... . I flew there before and after and further and higher without problems... . So, faulty rx? That's the only explanation, no? You can see rx loss on the betaflight osd.

brand new frsky r-xsr failsafe 30 meter straight line (1 min 54 sec)
Jun 20, 2019, 04:12 AM

RSSI low in R-XSR

Same problems here.

Tested in 5x R-XSR units (3x from same batch, two older). Im getting crazy!. Tested with three different Tx (X7, XLite, 12S) showing same problem.

Ill do sistemathic range test and report curves here.

If is an RSSI "scale problem" (low RSSI values but signal remains) then, a solution for the moment is remove de failsafe action in the Tx and low the 45-43 advisors limits not to be worried about while flying
Jun 20, 2019, 04:25 AM
Happy FPV flyer
There is no "failsafe action in the Tx".
Jun 28, 2019, 02:25 PM
Just found this thread when trying to find any reason why I'm losing rx signal 50meters away with my R-XSR. Sounds very disapointing that nobody has found a reason for this. I have the same exact problem. My radio is X-Lite and I installed R-XSR to my new Mobula 7 HD and I can't fly more than 50 meters away. I get rx lost warnings already at 10 meters away constantly. This is driving me mad. I have taken the drone apart few times and checked everything. I cannot find any reason for this.
Jul 18, 2019, 09:47 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Tested a friend's quad today and first got "signal low" on 100m and on a different location, it even went into failsafe on about 75m distance. Firmware issue?
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!

Quick Reply