Horizon RC Fest 2018 - Event Coverage - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Horizon RC Fest 2018 - Event Coverage

Check out the coverage of this Horizon hosted fun family event at Eli Field.

Splash

Mike Hines Reports In

Mike Hines is not only an old friend but now a reviewer of RCGroups.com and FlyingGiants.com. He joined Jason Cole to help cover this year's Horizon Hobby RC Fest. Mike is also old friends of some of our Horizon family. Here is his report and photos from this great RC fly-in.

Mike Hines

I attended this year's Horizon RC Fest for the first time. Located at Eli Field in Monticello, Illinois not to far from Horizon headquarters. It is a wonderful venue with something for everybody. It was great to reconnect with old friends and meet some new ones. The event covered the entire spectrum (no pun intended) of the hobby with the exception of watercraft. At one end was a variety of RC car and truck tracks where a large group of modelers were wearing it out. The crawler course looked pretty challenging and the dirt track with all the jumps was very active. In addition to the facilities for the active modeler, It was good to see the try it yourself stations. Both kids and interested adults got a hands-on chance to see what driving one of these was all about. From the enthusiastic response that I saw, I expect to see some new modelers added to the hobby.

At the opposite end of the field was a drone racing circuit. It was eye-opening to me to see the speed and precision that these racers exhibited. Throughout the weekend open flying was taking place on Eli Field's main runway. It's about 800' long asphalt and suitable for all manner of aircraft up to and including the large jet turbines. There were several in attendance and they flew often. The whole event was well run by the Horizon employees and volunteers and the family friendly atmosphere was great. There was a good size crowd of spectators for the noontime show on Saturday. I'm sure they were impressed with the variety of aircraft and the skill of the pilots. Jase Dussia did a standout RC aerobatic routine the likes of which I have never seen, just amazing. There was something for just about everyone, warbirds, antiques, combat, helicopters and sailplanes. I'm glad that I was able to attend and hope to return again next year. If you can make it to this family-friendly event, check it out.

Jun 04, 2018, 01:23 PM
Photos batch 1
Jun 04, 2018, 02:54 PM
A couple of videos of the practice at the car track

IMG 0170 (0 min 11 sec)

IMG 0173 (0 min 9 sec)
Jun 04, 2018, 02:58 PM
Video of night flying by Jase Dussia at the event. This kid is crazy good.

IMG 0163 2 (0 min 37 sec)
Last edited by Hiflyer; Jun 04, 2018 at 03:05 PM.
Jun 04, 2018, 03:44 PM
Warbird & Jet Lover
It was a good weekend. Plenty of open flying available.

And it was great to see Mike again! Thanks for the coverage!
Jun 04, 2018, 11:13 PM
Not a six pack
Didn't realize there was a thread on this. I was there Sat for the drone race, so I posted these on the Central IL Drone Racers FB page but here are a few:

Last edited by rocketscience; Jun 04, 2018 at 11:37 PM.
Jun 04, 2018, 11:37 PM
Not a six pack

Jun 05, 2018, 01:42 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?

Small Nall

If you can't make it to Nall, then head here! (Next year).

It had a little of everything:

Turbine jets
3D plane action, day and night (so sad it crashed!)
3D heli shows, day and night
Night flying shows
Noon shows
Other shows throughout the day
Full contact combat
Fantastic raffles with nice gifts to choose from with your ticket purchase
Great fireworks, with nightflyers right in the middle of it all!

And the opportunity for anyone to:
Watch fpv quad racing
Fly a mini apprentice
Drive a rock crawler
Drive an RC car
Fly a micro heli
Fly a micro quad

This was a family event, as evidenced by the children of ALL ages

I drove 500 miles to see what it was all about. It was Great. It is impossible to get my family to Nall, but next year I'm bringing them here!

And it was all FREE to spectators

FANTASTIC JOB HORIZON HOBBY!!!
Last edited by mybad; Jun 05, 2018 at 01:48 PM.
Jun 05, 2018, 01:51 PM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
I almost forgot.

They also had a Monster Truck crush a couple cars!
Jun 11, 2018, 09:47 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Thanks to Jase Dussia for teaching me how to do a Knife Edge Spin.
Thanks to Mike McConville (spelling?) for correcting the programming on my Sukoi.

Quick Reply