This thread is privately moderated by mfwilliams, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 02, 2018, 10:18 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thread OP
Discussion

NorthWest 2018-6/1

Our last full flying day in the Northwest. Sad, but all good things must come to an end.
Lumber was the flavor of the day. We ran around Hood River most of the morning, then headed out to the slope just after noon. It was blowing when we got up top. At least 25mph, straight on to the slope. Very gusty and turbulent. If you didn’t get your plane out front quick, it was going to get slammed into the ground. We had a couple of full size sailplanes working the ridge. A Schweizer 1-26 and a Stemme S-10. They made passes over us several times. I’m sure they were working the ridge, but it looked like they were checking us out a few times. We flew our brains out, had very little plane damage. Amazing with the conditions. Only had some wing tip scuffs and Amadeo had a wing rod pulled out in a mid-air with Tom.
We stopped, early for us, at 5:00PM and headed down to Hood River for “First Friday”. Hood was packed with visitors and closed streets. So we went to dinner near Safeway (Thai food) and hit the car wash across the street. We topped off the perfect day with Mike’s Ice Cream.
Good bye NW! Next year the 6-pack!
Mike and the Pompano Hill flyers.
Last edited by mfwilliams; Jun 03, 2018 at 06:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2018, 12:38 PM
...Old School
What a great adventure... hope i'll be able to join next year...
Jun 03, 2018, 03:05 PM
somewhere in South America
Glad you guys had a good time! That last photo... is it from the approach into PDX?
Jun 03, 2018, 03:42 PM
2.1.9 Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfwilliams View Post
We had a couple of full size sailplanes working the ridge. ASchweizer 1-26 and a Stem S-10.
Here's a Wikipedia article on the Stemme S10.
Quote:
The Stemme S10 is a self-launching sailplane produced by Stemme AG in Strausberg (Germany) since the 1980s. The engine is mounted amidships and it features an unusual folding propeller which is stowed inside the aircraft's nose-cone when the engine is not in use...

I'm glad to hear the trip went well, but I couldn't help noticing how you guys were bundled up to keep warm.

Man, I just can't have fun when it's like that! I hope you'll consider this Southern California dude's suggestion next year, in which case I'm in!
Jun 03, 2018, 06:20 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Thread OP
No Dieter, that was an outbound view from the South side. I threw it into the blog because it was a good overhead of Mt Hood. Are you coming back next year for the 6-pack again?
Mike

Quick Reply