Jul 16, 2019, 07:11 PM
Douglas Buzby
Well, I hope you believe as I do, "There is no such thing as a stupid question!"
Here is mine: I am a bit confused by the title of this thread. FPS 60 inch Ds frontside Sloper.
Is this plane built specifically for DS? Or will it rip it up on the frontside? Perhaps both?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2019, 07:16 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Pretty sure it's referring to both
Jul 16, 2019, 10:22 PM
A dream will find you

The aircraft leans to DS...

The aircraft is centric to DS flight to be sure, and it has special sauce on the wing that will make it more than fun on the front side. Flight characteristics are emerging as the model is flown ever quicker but to the best of my knowledge, comments associated with control as the aircraft comes on step and beyond are very positive. One of the FPS design goals is definitely an ability to be very wicked, but still be as well mannered as an English butler.

It's come to pass that DS focused models built lite/ultra lite are/can be big fun on the front side. Killer has demonstrated this with Sheer. That experience is building. FPS is a DS model that will front side very smartly, not a front side model that does not DS smartly.

A 'DSCrossover' if you will? DSC? It's for FPS.
Last edited by StevenSeim; Jul 16, 2019 at 10:40 PM.
Jul 16, 2019, 11:03 PM
Douglas Buzby
Okay, thanks for the answer, StevenSeim!
Jul 17, 2019, 05:01 AM
Rock Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSeim
It's come to pass that DS focused models built lite/ultra lite are/can be big fun on the front side. Killer has demonstrated this with Sheer. That experience is building. FPS is a DS model that will front side very smartly, not a front side model that does not DS smartly.

A 'DSCrossover' if you will? DSC? It's for FPS.
I havenít had the chance to DS my light Sheer yet, it is awesome fun front side.
I built a few ultra light Windburner, it was amazing to see a DS plank spec out in thermals at MSF,
I have found that DS or fast planes when built light can and do fly in DLG strength lift. Trying to float them doesnít work they like speed so to get max lift you need to keep speed high enough to keep foil working not just sitting or floating on the lift.
Jul 17, 2019, 06:55 PM
A dream will find you

First looks...

This is the lower surface left FPS wing mold nearing completion. The molds will be anchored to a working surface and joined by a dogbone shaped joiner.

A real trick in the that the wing molds are carved not only with dihedral incorporated, but also at the wings mounted angle of attack. The parting plane is irregular, exaggerated even more due to the wing being top aligned. The parting surface is really exotic. This allows the upper surface mold to account for the shoulder and tang to be aligned with the fuselage.

Great work, with part files being sent directly to Pete's machine. Our digital communication is really evolving. It's working. Pete takes exquisite notes, documenting all machining details. If a toolpath needs to be tuned, corrections can be easily made. (I biffed the dogbone toolpath) By updating the drawing on my end, errors themselves are documented and not repeated as new models are developed.

The new FPS wing molds will be terrific. Well done Pete indeed. This is really good work.
Last edited by StevenSeim; Jul 28, 2019 at 05:03 AM.
Jul 17, 2019, 06:55 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Looks pretty good I'm happy with the finish
Jul 17, 2019, 07:12 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
Tums Zup!!
Jul 18, 2019, 10:25 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Sometimes I ask myself why do I do this its crazy to spend all this time and moneys on a little glider .
But I guess that it is because we all love this hobby and to get the opportunity to work with people who are good at what they do and share the same passion.
And its pretty dam exciting to see all this work not only fly but fly extremely well
Jul 18, 2019, 03:00 PM
A dream will find you

Agreed...

I agree, no question. The connections are good, the work is good, the models are good. It's all here.

The finish pass(es) look great.
Jul 24, 2019, 09:52 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Building lee a tail
Jul 24, 2019, 09:53 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Got the rough cut done on the upper left side of the wing mold.
Looks cool
Jul 24, 2019, 02:40 PM
Douglas Buzby
this is fun for a lay-person too! (Hoping I can afford one of these bad-boys!)
Jul 24, 2019, 03:54 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
It is fun ....
I have been fighting with the compressor looks like I need another pressure switch after new starter caps the big Quincy is now replaced with a little dewalt poor little yellow thing
Jul 24, 2019, 04:40 PM
A dream will find you

Wicked...

That autoclave is it Pete. A very wicked tool.

Quick Reply