Jun 09, 2018, 06:20 PM
Sounds like your version on the “Skunk Works”. Good thing so that Hobby King does not steal your design.
Tom f.
Last edited by TomFlyer; Jun 10, 2018 at 09:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2018, 11:39 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
The truth is Tom I have no idea what mix of airfoils are in this wing that's a Steven thing.
I'm way better at just making tools and other stuff ,cad/cam isn't my thing at all....

Pete
Jun 12, 2018, 06:47 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
I hate it when you get a wrinkle in your Veil and try to lift it out and it pulls the PVA off what a waste of epoxy....
I should have just stuck with the wax no PVA
Jun 14, 2018, 05:18 AM
myday.. myday
I use carnauba mold paste wax (2 times a day for a week) and I use 2 component auto paint on top of that, that combination works really well.
Jun 14, 2018, 07:27 AM
myday.. myday
Perhaps there could be issues with how well the epoxy merges to the paint with some kinds, my experience with that is mostly making molds and the car paint is being sprayed on a sanded surface. Anyway after I started using 2 component car paint between two layers of epoxy and fibers that should release from each other the wax was starting to become like you would imagine it should, I have never had something stick after that and I never use PVA release film on something important. But I do understand the fear, if it sticks it would be a disaster and there are probable more examples of that in this forum than success stories. Its probably always a good idea to try something new on something that is not so important first perhaps. But when you have used the mold some times (successfully) and you have waxed it each time it should be quite ready to just use wax then I would think, I would however feel more confident about it too if I new I could use my 2 component car paint without issues so that the fuselage or wing have a painted surface, its so much more rewarding to repair later as well. If I had issues with the paint I have I would try to brush with something like a soft sponge/brush sander or something similar first or wash with really strong whiskey or acetone before laying down epoxy and fibers.
Jun 14, 2018, 01:56 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Thanks for the input!!!!
Jun 19, 2018, 05:49 AM
Rock Breaker
If I. Seeing right you have a very thick coat of PVA. I've been using paper towel to apply PVA and gentle rubbing as it dries I've been getting a very thing Coate that is smooth. Hehe masking tape stripped it off but 10 layers of wax was still enough on new mdf mould to get a release.
I'm not sure why you lifted the veil, with it over wet with resin should have been easy to gently push the wrinkle out.
Jun 23, 2018, 04:51 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Thanks Gary.
I just chanced it with wax no pva .
Both halves are ready to join on the second wing kinda like this carbon straws with lite epoxy clay for the main spar with plenty of uni for the sparcaps
Jun 24, 2018, 11:38 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Wing 2
Jun 24, 2018, 02:07 PM
Certifiable User
Looks really nice! Gonna be cool to see it flying at Slopefest!
Jun 27, 2018, 08:00 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
I have a spare fuse of the previously mentioned, well proven design. Would one of these wings fit on it? Would be awesome to have a 60"...

Loving your builds mate!!
Jun 27, 2018, 11:29 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
You would need to sand the front wing alignment plug to fit a thick fuselage but it's almost solid carbon so it wouldn't hurt it at all.
Jun 27, 2018, 05:02 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Sent you a PM
Jun 29, 2018, 10:02 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
I need to find a good way to cut hinges .I realize this is only my second wing but there has to be a consistent not easy but repeatable way of doing this .
Any suggestions would be great THANKS..

Pete
Jun 30, 2018, 04:45 AM
Rock Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc
I need to find a good way to cut hinges .I realize this is only my second wing but there has to be a consistent not easy but repeatable way of doing this .
Any suggestions would be great THANKS..

Pete
You could make a steel jig.
The RB I scribed a centre line in mould so then just use 48mm tape to mark cuts in middle and tips. Use vernier to mark from TE top and bottom. Hacksaw for cuts, carbide tip to scrape hinge and knife to cut top. I find snap off knife works well just go for big one 25mm blade gives better control and penetration than smaller blades.
The more you do the better you get.

Search Kevin Benett Windburner on YouTube he has a video which is good.

Quick Reply