Apr 10, 2019, 03:13 AM
plane destroyer and builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
It is a very big mistake to start messing with fluorescent paint with Your painting experience Sir.
The only positive part will be a knowledge gain.
Yuri
The painting was well until I changed to semi-permanent mold release systems and 2-layers 2k paint! Otherwise, the price of the fluorescent was a 'surprise'
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2019, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercando
FPS 2 meter mock up. Look forward to seeing the real wing and tail but this wing fits nicely. Plus the pressure bladder molded fuse wont split at the seam like some others.

Lee
Nice 2m bird!
Apr 10, 2019, 04:50 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Just to clarify why there's conflicting advice ... the paint shop guys are all geared up to paint cars etc where you have to get a gloss top coat. Painting into a mould is totally out of the park by comparison. For example when you paint, the oily stuff comes to the top to make the gloss, and the solids sink a bit. So you add thinners to get more oiliness and better gloss. But in the mould, that's counterproductive because you will create gloss on the inside surface, where you are going to lay up composites. The epoxy won't stick to gloss well, and a rough spattery coat from a thick mix is much better for adhesion.

Just to show how different the mould painting process is - if you spray flat (ie not gloss) paint on a surface it will naturally look dull, as it's meant to. But if you spray flat paint (or even cheap
weirdo paints like spot marking paints) onto highly polished mould you will be surprised to find that the paint surface is really glossy when you pull the part out. So you don't need thinners to get gloss when painting in moulds. The quality of the mould surface dictates the gloss.

AND very importantly ... thinners can destroy mould release agents. If you add thinners and do multiple thick coats, your semipermanents or waxes can be eaten away. So only add thinners if the paint is so old and thick that it literally won't go through the gun nozzle.
Apr 11, 2019, 06:45 AM
The art of painting... Most of us focus on structure, but the paint is so important. The model has to be beautiful!

Thanks for your wise advices, AvB.
Apr 16, 2019, 11:16 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Well after the top part of the wing Popped out of the mold I used 77 to glue it back in and some ca .

It turned out ok next time will be better.
Lee just finished the fuselage for this wing and the stabs skins are in the autoclave
Apr 16, 2019, 11:27 PM
what makes that thing go
Dude !!!
Apr 17, 2019, 06:57 AM
I have almost finished my fuse with your painting advices and it went very well (except because I used too much paint I'm afraid; terrible colour the yellow one for covering!).

First time with inflation bladder and very happy with the result.

My most sincere thanks.
Apr 17, 2019, 10:20 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Very nice job
Apr 21, 2019, 09:59 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
1st stab not bad just a bit heavy I think
Apr 21, 2019, 02:51 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
47g is a Good weight. My last synergy tailplane was 140g, but isn't for a light plane. Others I've made are also heavier than yours
Apr 25, 2019, 08:46 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Stab 4 Lee.....

Got horns
Apr 25, 2019, 04:14 PM
What is the third picture, please?
Apr 25, 2019, 04:42 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
SCratcho stabs are around 45g, with full thickness foam half cores.
Apr 26, 2019, 03:30 AM
Uppsss... the horns
Apr 27, 2019, 12:06 PM
PNC: What did you put inside the carbon fiber socks? When you painted the stab mold, did you pit in a logo? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tom f.

Quick Reply