Jun 02, 2018, 09:45 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Build Log

FPS 60 inch Ds frontside Sloper

Lee Steven and I have been working on a new 60 inch DS glider that may fit a notch in the Ds world that may be lacking in the 60 inch world.
Started out with a desire for a 60 inch glider that would lock in at a couple hundred mph and still fit in a guncase ...
We wanted something that will be a blast on the backside so I asked Steven (who has designed a bunch of awesome gliders ) to come up with a wing that would do just that so figured out a good fast wing and shrinked it to 60 inches.
It has been about since 1984 that I have played with composites and all of those were prepregs so wet layup should be fun after reading a bunch of threads here like Tims,Gary's ,Lees and Alexis here we go with the first few ,after all is set in stone I will cut aluminum molds and run prepregs in the autoclave shoot even do the wet lay ups in there so we get some awesome tight laminates .
Thanks to everyone for the motivation and the help.
Pete
Last edited by pnc; Jun 02, 2018 at 11:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2018, 10:15 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Here are a few pics so far
Jun 03, 2018, 10:25 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Wing molds were done using mdf plugs sealed epoxied to granite slabs to keep them flat then tooling coat ath and epoxy
Jun 03, 2018, 10:35 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Sprayed PVA now to lay one up
Jun 03, 2018, 12:12 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Some past pics
Jun 03, 2018, 12:16 PM
Impressive! How much pressure and temp are you running in your autoclave?
Jun 03, 2018, 01:01 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Thanks Ward about 70 lbs it will handle 100 but that's kinda scary.
150 degrees for now just a little heater in the hotbox table the autoclave is in.
I will get a temp/soak controller if all goes well soon.
Pete
No where as cool as some of your projects
Jun 03, 2018, 03:55 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Running one bottom now . I tried thick felt instead of paper towel we'll see how much resin I can pull out of it at 80 lb
Jun 03, 2018, 08:14 PM
Certifiable User
About time you start a thread for this project. Looking forward to flying one at Slopefest... I geuss we'll need a couple more of the temporary fuselages. Cant wait to see you cut the aluminum molds

Lee
Jun 04, 2018, 10:35 AM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Well yesterday was a mess but all worked out in the end .
1st vac pump died 10 inches lol moved on to second pump worked well .
Compressor blew a seal and was spraying oil all over but it made it through the day time for a new compressor.
Yes lee I finally did it.
My mill is fixed now and I installed Ipswich pro so I can transfer g code from the mastercam to the mill..
Pretty exciting
Jun 04, 2018, 02:47 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Yes Lee time to make some temporary fuselages....
Yay got a nice big compressor this morning traded a Leo Motion Motor for it. Here's a pic of the first test junk wing on the temporary fuselage
Last edited by pnc; Jun 04, 2018 at 09:02 PM.
Jun 08, 2018, 10:25 AM
Impressive work on a cool looking new 60" design.

Tom f.
Jun 09, 2018, 05:02 PM
pnc
pnc
Thread OP
Thanks Tom,
All 3 of us had input
Jun 09, 2018, 05:38 PM
For a guy with your skill set and equipment, why MDF plugs instead of aluminum wing beds?

What air foils did you use and what allowance did you use for the thickness on epoxy on the particle board cut?

Tom f.
Jun 09, 2018, 06:09 PM
Certifiable User
We aren't supposed to talk about the wing sections. Just know they are very close to one of Steven's other, well proven designs

Now that Pete is set up with mastercam and an appropriate post processor I'm sure all the tooling will be of the metallic variety soon

MDF masters were carved at Cybermodelle international HQ

For Pete's Sake, keep it up

Lee

Quick Reply