Jun 02, 2018, 09:57 AM
Was a lookin fer loomyum foral
Thread OP
Discussion

I Have taken Up Wood Carving

I found a good use for scrap wood, make figurines. I am taking a wood carving class. My first is the Penguin, then the Brown Bear, latest Little Owl. Big Owl was purchased, same with the Eagle. Lots of fun and it sure a help to get training in how to not cut your self.
More to come, I think I'm going to carve out a Flounder, not sure yet.
Jun 02, 2018, 10:06 AM
Set up a table at the local craft fair, make some $$. The middle owl is cool.
Jun 02, 2018, 10:15 AM
No more nicotine for me!
Nice work, just remember, cut towards your chum, not your thumb!
Jun 02, 2018, 10:55 AM
Seriously?
Very nice!
Jun 02, 2018, 11:09 AM
Sharing lunch with Jonesy.
One of those things I tried but I was not good at. I can do some nice things for gun stocks but it takes me forever so I stopped fiddling with it in my 20s after making a crossbow with a basket weave pattern.

After that I became happy with how stocks came but had a relapse which would have been great except Obamanomic caused the closure of Fajen.
Latest blog entry: Later peeps
Jun 02, 2018, 11:12 AM
Nice work, Chop. You can see the improvements from your first one to the last. Keep it up.
Jun 02, 2018, 12:28 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the compliments.
I can machine geometrics to my usual best,0.00025 inch tolerance but have never been able to make artistic things. You have to look at a reference object, get the proportions, then transfer them from the mind's eye to the outside world in the same proportion and usually a different size.

I recommend a class to learn how to do that with a minimum of waste wood. I'm using Bass Wood. The carving tools can get very expensive. I estimate near $1000 in various top quality knives of many styles, chisels, scrapers, sanders, paints and more in my instructor's tool box.

Look at different carvings on Ebay and genuine African art gets 100's of dollars each, some up in the thousands. They make some really spooky, odd stuff there.
Jun 02, 2018, 01:21 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop
Thanks for the compliments.
I can machine geometrics to my usual best,0.00025 inch tolerance but have never been able to make artistic things. You have to look at a reference object, get the proportions, then transfer them from the mind's eye to the outside world in the same proportion and usually a different size.

I recommend a class to learn how to do that with a minimum of waste wood. I'm using Bass Wood. The carving tools can get very expensive. I estimate near $1000 in various top quality knives of many styles, chisels, scrapers, sanders, paints and more in my instructor's tool box.

Look at different carvings on Ebay and genuine African art gets 100's of dollars each, some up in the thousands. They make some really spooky, odd stuff there.
Good job-keep it up!

You can make some of those carving tools yourself, too.
Jun 02, 2018, 07:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
Nice work, just remember, cut towards your chum, not your thumb!
I see people do quite a bit of that sort of twick.
Jun 02, 2018, 07:06 PM
Thread OP
Some instructors build custom knives for special jobs. I think by the looks they buy the blade ready made but make the handle a custom fit.

Here is a ready made analog they use. Those blades keep an edge for very much cutting. I was surprised at how sharp they stay.
Jun 02, 2018, 09:48 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop
Some instructors build custom knives for special jobs. I think by the looks they buy the blade ready made but make the handle a custom fit.

Here is a ready made analog they use. Those blades keep an edge for very much cutting. I was surprised at how sharp they stay.
The Warther Museum people make nice carving knives. I bought one when I last visited:

http://thewarthermuseum.com/

https://warthercutlery.com/product-c...es/1968-model/

Quick Reply