Jun 02, 2018, 12:35 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP
Discussion

June 9th Soaring and Landing secrets will be revealed

(this post is a message from Jim Ludwigson)

Hello to all ,

Saturday June 9th will be a special day at the field so donít miss it!

We have arranged for the current F3J Tour National Champion, Bob McGowan, to put on a skill development clinic on the morning of June 9th. Weíll arrive at the SVSS field by 9:00am to set up winches and put our planes together. Bob plans to give a lecture starting at 9:30 under the shade structure for all of us who wish to listen. Bob will share with us how he manages to find lift on virtually every flight. With white board illustrations he plans to explain how he predicts thermal locations based on changes in wind speed and direction. He will also be giving us tips on how to improve our landing accuracy. Bob expects the talk to go about 30 minutes but he will keep answering your questions as long as they are coming.

After the talk we can get in some flying. Bob will be available to critique landings and help you practice your new thermal locating skills. He will also be selling T-shirts and Raffle Tickets to support the USA Team traveling to the F3J World Championships this summer. Bob will be representing us in Romania as a member of Team USA.

Lunch will be prepared and served to all in attendance around noon. The club will provide burgers, chips, and drinks (voluntary donations to defray the cost of food will be accepted). Following lunch we will hold our SVSS business meeting.

Hope to see everyone there!

Jim Ludwigson, SVSS President
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2018, 02:39 PM
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow. Many of you know my dad, Ray McGowan, from back when he was flying too. He will be joining us tomorrow at the field.

Bob
Jun 10, 2018, 10:28 AM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP

Thank you Bob!

What a great talk and flying secrets session! Thank you Bob for coming out and spending a morning with us. Great turnout, very helpful hints and tips, and lots of fun. The lunch from Aric capped off a very nice day. Good luck at the F3J Worlds in Romania Bob!

More pics and coverage of this coming in the June newsletter.
Jun 11, 2018, 06:15 PM
Thank you for inviting me and thanks to all those in attendance. Collectively you donated $741 to the USA F3J team. It is very much appreciated. I forwarded the raffle ticket info to our team manager today so you should all get your ticket numbers/confirmation in an email soon, but give him a few more days please. If you donít get it by next week, please let me know and Iíll follow up for you. I am saving all of the original order forms for reference.

I hope you all learned something new, a secret, from my talk. The truth is I have no secrets so ask me more follow-up questions any time. I enjoy sharing.

This is a link to our Team USA website where you can learn more about our upcoming trip to Romania, read the biographies of all the USA team members, and support our trip to the World Championships by buying raffle tickets or merchandise if you missed the chance last Saturday. https://www.teamusaf3j.com/

Thanks and Best Regards,
Bob McGowan

Quick Reply