Jun 18, 2018, 04:10 PM
Same Day Delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Nice job Crash !
Mike why would you want plastic wells ?
5 mins of light weight Balsa wells and you tie the skin into the wing and add real stretch vs floating wells that only add weight
In Full Disclosure.........Laziness !
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2018, 04:26 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Lol , ok I can appreciate that
Jun 20, 2018, 02:57 PM

H9 Hellcat

I have the new H9 Hellcat on pre-order. I had the earlier version for 500+ flights over 10 years. I am waiting for flight reports on the new one.

Based on the info listed in the manuals it looks like the wing loading is up about 17% (28.4 to 33.4 oz/ft2). This is getting into wing loading range where arfs and kits start coming with flaps. An that is based on a probably optimistic 10 lb plane.

Regardless I am looking forward to this Hellcat. I was at Warbirds Over Texas a couple of weeks ago. Lots of nice warbirds there. But I did not see any Hellcats. Could have missed them, but I don't think so.

Brian
Jun 20, 2018, 06:06 PM
Thanks for doing that chart.
Jun 20, 2018, 06:07 PM
Scale Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghost
I have the new H9 Hellcat on pre-order. I had the earlier version for 500+ flights over 10 years. I am waiting for flight reports on the new one.

Based on the info listed in the manuals it looks like the wing loading is up about 17% (28.4 to 33.4 oz/ft2). This is getting into wing loading range where arfs and kits start coming with flaps. An that is based on a probably optimistic 10 lb plane.

Regardless I am looking forward to this Hellcat. I was at Warbirds Over Texas a couple of weeks ago. Lots of nice warbirds there. But I did not see any Hellcats. Could have missed them, but I don't think so.

Brian
I have had two scratch built Hellcats the same size as the new H9 airplane, neither of which had flaps. My red one is almost 12 pounds and handles fine on landing but does, obviously, land fast. The biggest drawback is that it seems to roll forever. My yellow airplane is about 10.5 pounds, lands much slower, and does not roll near as far. I can get the yellow one down in probably 2/3 the length it takes for the red one. While I would like to have flaps on the red one (and I am currently building a third which does have them) I see no need for them on the yellow airplane at all. I can easily fly it from paved surfaces that are about 350-400 feet long.
Jun 20, 2018, 06:12 PM
Just got VIN 0001 assembled and ready to go. 11lbs even with retracts, the nice oleo struts, Evo 20cc, and 4000 LiFe
Jun 20, 2018, 06:13 PM
Chad, I'm in Mobile and watched the Blue Angles practice today and took some pics of their T-28, Dauntless and of course their Hellcat. Do you want any pics of anything in particular? If so, I am going back next Tuesday (weather permitting) and take them.

Jerry
Jun 20, 2018, 06:31 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2
Chad, I'm in Mobile and watched the Blue Angles practice today and took some pics of their T-28, Dauntless and of course their Hellcat. Do you want any pics of anything in particular? If so, I am going back next Tuesday (weather permitting) and take them.

Jerry
Please post the Hellcat photos..!!
Jun 20, 2018, 06:51 PM
I will see what I can do ...took them with a camera so I will have to find a computer to upload them here. Too bad they have the wings folded back.....I will keep looking, maybe they have two of them!
Jun 22, 2018, 05:55 PM
Scale meet tomorrow. She's ready to maiden !
Jun 22, 2018, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182
Just got VIN 0001 assembled and ready to go. 11lbs even with retracts, the nice oleo struts, Evo 20cc, and 4000 LiFe
Also scale cockpit which added some weight. Airbrush and clear coating. Robart wheels heavier then stock. I donít see why out of the box weight would be more then 10 pounds with a smaller battery and no details.
Jun 22, 2018, 06:35 PM
Same Day Delivery
Anxiously waiting for flight report, especially the landing characteristics, I would think a little faster landing speed and wheel landing. Just as a Warbird should.
Jun 22, 2018, 07:54 PM
Plane Nuts
My original Hellcat at over 11 lbs flies and lands great.

Added full cockpit, detailed engine. Chad's drop tank, proper gear doors, vinyl panel and detail kit. Scale exhaust locations and sliding canopy.

Wheel landings and 3 points are nice and slow. No need for flaps.

Rob
Jun 22, 2018, 08:18 PM
I'd like to add the drop tank and upper square gear door parts
Jun 22, 2018, 11:19 PM
Scale Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason
My original Hellcat at over 11 lbs flies and lands great.

Added full cockpit, detailed engine. Chad's drop tank, proper gear doors, vinyl panel and detail kit. Scale exhaust locations and sliding canopy.

Wheel landings and 3 points are nice and slow. No need for flaps.

Rob
Your bird is beautiful Rob and I'm sure the guys here would appreciate a look at it.

Quick Reply