Jul 12, 2019, 01:11 AM
Full scale or 1/8 scale

Two do

I hope to fly this weekend and really get a feel for the airplane. After that we have 2 air shows going on in town including Doc the B-29 to make an appearance.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2019, 12:15 AM
Full scale or 1/8 scale
Well the Hellcat is no more. Half the elevator exploded in mid air.
Had a Saito 100 in it so it wasn't over powered. Possible fludder could be the cause
BECAUSE THE COVERING LOOSENED. I use windex to clean the plane sometimes
or,or flue perminated the covering. The covering was really wrinkled.

I lost two planes last Saturday....little explanation. G-d must hate me.
Jul 30, 2019, 09:51 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss, but thanks for the heads up to watch the elevator.
I retrimmed my Hellcat with the same VF17 markings as yours, #50.
Jul 30, 2019, 11:43 AM
My elevator hinges broke a few times. The stab is Long and flexible. Seems it's getting vibrations back there
Jul 30, 2019, 08:11 PM
Full scale or 1/8 scale
Thanks Bulls,I saw the # 50. That's very cool.

With gilders I used to run a strip of monokyote down the center of the wing from
wing tip to wing tip. A skin spar". Just like using packaging tape on foamies.
You use clear or same color. IDK
Aug 02, 2019, 08:36 PM
Got my Hellcat finished up and ready to fly. Will get back here to let ya know how this power package hauls this thing around. It certainly feels like it's going to pull it but we'll see. I have a different motor in mind if I feel it needs a little more speed or thrust. Started thinking about this setup right after I got the Corsair. The prop is perfect for the Hellcat as far as looks go and if it flies as fast as the Corsair, I'll be happy.
Aug 04, 2019, 09:29 AM

Frustrated With This Aircraft !!!

I'm finding this aircraft is really challenging my patience. I have a dozen flights on it and it still wants to climb. Initially I had to add max trim and I still had to give down elevator in order to fly it. Over the next several flights I've added DOWNTHRUST washers incrementally such that I now have -2.5 degrees downthrust to the engine(Evolution 20gx2) and while it's getting better it still not stable and especially likes to balloon in a head wind .

I've checked and verified the CG so many times now I can do it in my sleep. The horizontal stab is where it should by its design so no adjustment possible there and the elevator halves are neutral with the Tx neutral.

I've been flying for 20 plus years mostly with sport and warbirds including the H9 20cc Corsair and none have been as challenging as this one. I feel you shouldn't have to add any downthrust, ESPECIALLY to an ARF!!!

As anyone experiencing this problem? Any ideas to correct it?

Best

Gary A
Aug 04, 2019, 09:57 AM
Arrowhead
That is really strange. Don’t blame you for being frustrated!

Two thoughts to pass along:

First, are you balancing with the gear retracted? I suspect you are, but figured I’d confirm that.

The other is, maybe contact Horizon and see if they can help you out.

Oh, actually another suggestion: check the incidence on the wing and tail plane. I’d even do that before contacting Horizon; the more info you have the more likely they’ll be able to help.
Aug 04, 2019, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
That is really strange. Dont blame you for being frustrated!

Two thoughts to pass along:

First, are you balancing with the gear retracted? I suspect you are, but figured Id confirm that.

The other is, maybe contact Horizon and see if they can help you out.

Oh, actually another suggestion: check the incidence on the wing and tail plane. Id even do that before contacting Horizon; the more info you have the more likely theyll be able to help.
Thanks CF104,

I like the idea of calling HH and yes I agree I'll measure the incidence on the wing and tail plane to have on hand for my HH discussion and to see how it compares with others. That all said I can't believe I'm the only one having so much difficulty with it. I'm going to follow this through until I get to the bottom of it. I'll keep everyone posted. Still would like to hear from others though.

Gary A
Aug 04, 2019, 05:28 PM
You might check the vertical angle of the firewall at the same time you measure the wing and horizontal stab incidence.
Aug 04, 2019, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcars
Thanks CF105,

I like the idea of calling HH and yes I agree I'll measure the incidence on the wing and tail plane to have on hand for my HH discussion and to see how it compares with others. That all said I can't believe I'm the only one having so much difficulty with it. I'm going to follow this through until I get to the bottom of it. I'll keep everyone posted. Still would like to hear from others though.

Gary A
OK so I checked the incidence on the wing halves and on the tail plane (Port and SB).

With the canopy removed I raised the tail of the aircraft till the adjoining fuselage canopy rails were set to 0 degree's. Using this as the reference I measured the Port and SB wing incidence at 5" out from the fuselage. They both read between -4.3 and -4.4 degrees. So effectively both wings are at the same incidence.

Next I measured the tail plane incidence and they too measured exactly the same as the wing incidence. So both the wing halves (P and SB) and the tail planes halves have the same incidence. I also made the same measurements 15" out from the fuselage on the wing halves and noticed that the Port wing measured -3.6 degrees incidence. So I guess there is a bit of a warp in this wing but I cannot see this accounting for my climbing problem, a slight banking issue maybe

I was hoping someone could make these measurements on their Hellcat to see how it compares to mine. Still looking for a reason mine wants to continue to climb???

Thanks

Gary A
Aug 04, 2019, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghost
You might check the vertical angle of the firewall at the same time you measure the wing and horizontal stab incidence.
Thanks Aghost,

I'll do that as well. Any idea what it should be?
Aug 05, 2019, 08:09 AM
I don't know exactly what the angle should be, but it does set the angle of the thrust line on the plane. A google search on "RC model thrust line" lists articles and pics regarding thrust line and it effect on a plane.
Aug 05, 2019, 09:24 AM
Arrowhead
Typically I think you want 2 degrees down and right on the thrust line.
Aug 05, 2019, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcars

Next I measured the tail plane incidence and they too measured exactly the same as the wing incidence. So both the wing halves (P and SB) and the tail planes halves have the same incidence. I also made the same measurements 15" out from the fuselage on the wing halves and noticed that the Port wing measured -3.6 degrees incidence. So I guess there is a bit of a warp in this wing but I cannot see this accounting for my climbing problem, a slight banking issue maybe
My Hellcat has a warped wing making the plane bank right. I fly with about 40% left turn ailerons. This has not created the climbing problem your Hellcat has.
I have some incidence measurements listed in Post 224 of this thread. My measurement setup was different than funcars so the readings are not directly related.

Brian

Quick Reply